MOT and underpan question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Grahame at work
Bongolier

MOT and underpan question

Post by Grahame at work » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi all you MOT experts out there,

I had to remove the under pan from my Bongo to improve access while I was working on the engine (long story :roll: - I'll report in due course), in doing so the front three bolts all sheared :cry: . Now I have tried a few things and bought a variety of extraction tools but so far I’ve not managed to get the bits out.
So my question is will it fail an MOT if the under pan is not there or will it fail the MOT if the under pan is there but with 3 bolts missing?

Looking forward to your answers

Regards Grahame
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: MOT and underpan question

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:34 pm

MOT won't fail with undertray removed. I wouldn't drive it with the _front_ bolts missing, as there is a high likelihood that it will catch air and hit the road. Anything loosely attached can't be a good thing, but I can't speak for whether/what the MOT guy/gal would say.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Grahame at work
Bongolier

Post by Grahame at work » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for that - so quick :)

I really want to get her in for the MOT so that I can start using her again - over 3 months and I'm getting quite serious withdrawal symptoms but it’s going to take access to a pit or similar and time to get these sheared bolts out.

So I’ll get her booked in and leave the under pan / tray off. [-o<

Regards Grahame
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Missing under tray wont fail an MOT as its not a requirement to have one, but as D+P says, any loose bits flapping around will be a failure point. The general rule of thumb is that if something's fitted then it must be secure & working: you won't fail an MOT for not having a towbar, but if it's incorrectly fitted / damaged, or the wiring does not work then you will at least get an advisory. Likewise, if your rear wash wipe doesn't work, remove the wiper arm so it cant be tested & therefore wont fail as there is no requirement to have one fitted.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Are you talking about the front 3 bolts on belly pan part 56-112G?? http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
If so..?
There are two nut & bolts that connect the two half's together along side a couple of moulded clips.. It is possible to just remove part 56-112G & leave the back bit in place.. I doubt the MOT guy will even know its meant to be there??

Its also possible when replacing the front bit to get an arm through from underneath to attach the nut & hold in place when securing back up..!! (Part 99940-0603) Though you can access the drivers side one from the top.. Well i can..! :D
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi
QUOTE;
Its also possible when replacing the front bit to get an arm through from underneath to attach the nut & hold in place when securing back up..!! (Part 99940-0603) Though you can access the drivers side one from the top.. Well i can..!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stret ... ng_toy.jpg :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Helen,

I just Googled this... & discovered a dark seedy underworld!! :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQlPq94XSI
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...

Return to “Techie Stuff”