Mending an awning zip - suggestions

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Mending an awning zip - suggestions

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:24 pm

On my canvas combi-camp awning, one of the tops of the zips has split, where you push the zip on through a double zip pull to fix it before you pull one of the zip pulls down:
ImageImageImageImageImage

I hope the pictures show a little better what I mean. The white webbing closest to the camera on the first photo holds a C clip in place and this is used to hold the door open. The white webbing traverses across the top of the zip and is stitched to the top of the zip, along with a plastic coating (put there for strength I guess) on either side of the zip. The plastic coating has snapped: it comes under much pressure when you're trying to attach the front to the side door corner.

I tried using superglue and a hot glue gun to stick the plastic coating together but it won't hold. It makes it extremely awkward to fit the zip in the first place as it's difficult to hold the bit next to the metal top of the zip.

I had to undo some of the stitching for the zip to try to staple the end together but this didn't work as I couldn't get a decent angle and was only using a normal office stapler.

Before I go to the expense of having a new zip does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this please?
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Re: Mending an awning zip - suggestions

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:41 pm

It looks like it needs an iron on patch of plastic that will weld the fabric together. No idea where you can get one though. A square of pvc, idealy reinforced then a layer of something like brown paper to conduct heat and then an ordinary iron or a soldering iron, careful not to get the pvc melted on to the iron.

I have a heavy duty sleeping bag zip 95inches 245cms or a 26in 65cm zip both open ended both new and going spare. Bought for repair projects where the original item failed totally before it got fixed. If either or both are of use I can bring them to Looe.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Cobblers
Our local cobbler is really good at this sort of stuff, we also have an awning repair place on the wirral, but some one local to you must be able to do it
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:23 pm

New Forest Terrier wrote:It looks like it needs an iron on patch of plastic that will weld the fabric together. No idea where you can get one though. A square of pvc, idealy reinforced then a layer of something like brown paper to conduct heat and then an ordinary iron or a soldering iron, careful not to get the pvc melted on to the iron.

I have a heavy duty sleeping bag zip 95inches 245cms or a 26in 65cm zip both open ended both new and going spare. Bought for repair projects where the original item failed totally before it got fixed. If either or both are of use I can bring them to Looe.
Thanks for the info. Would be very difficult to iron on a piece of plastic. Would have to undo quite a bit of the zip seams.

Have measured the zip. It's 70" or 178cm.

I tried attaching it from the bottom end but that doesn't work. With part of the zip seam at the top undone a bit, it actually makes it easier to attach, using pliers to hold the torn bit, although it will deteriorate with time. I think I'll leave it for now. Not enough time between now and Looe for a permanent fix.

Luckily it's a straight zip, so I may buy a zip and have a go to sew it myself :roll: or I've just found a canvas repair man not far from me, about 8 miles. Or should I get a quote from him first :-k Ooh I've just found another one in Bugle, Cornwall, so I've sent an email - let's see if I get a response.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 pm

winchman wrote:Cobblers
Our local cobbler is really good at this sort of stuff, we also have an awning repair place on the wirral, but some one local to you must be able to do it
I'll bear this in mind if my other enquiries don't come to anything. Thanks
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Attwoolls, just of M5 J13 (take A38 north for a short distance, on right) do zip repairs.

http://www.attwoolls.co.uk/contact-us.html

Not too far from you, Jilly. :)
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:18 am

Bob wrote:Attwoolls, just of M5 J13 (take A38 north for a short distance, on right) do zip repairs.

http://www.attwoolls.co.uk/contact-us.html

Not too far from you, Jilly. :)
Thanks Bob
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”