Newbie dreaming of Bongos

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

amauvis
Bongonaut

Newbie dreaming of Bongos

Post by amauvis » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:54 am

Hi all, I am potentially looking for a Bongo/Freda camper and have potentially found a nice one at a believable price. Everything was going so well until my wife mentioned the absence of a swivel passenger seat. I assumed that could be dealt with by an available seat-base addon but I read here that although it's been done, it has been done so unofficially, and therefore cannot be insurance backed, or possibly MOT friendly.

We are a family of 4, the kids are still little. How do you get 4 people round the table in the Bongo - is there a way? Without this, it's a dealbreaker for my wife. My explanation about setting up in the awning don't wash either, and on a cold, nasty day I can see her point. How do other families deal with this?

Unfortunately, I've never even seen a Bongo as this search has been on impulse, and as I am temporarily based in Belgium, I don't have any access to look at one, hence my hopeful suggestion that a small folding seat between the table and front seatback might fit, is probably tosh. Does this theory have any legs in it?
Bainsy
Bongonaut

Re: Newbie dreaming of Bongos

Post by Bainsy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:58 am

There is a small folding seat attached to the rear of each front seat.
Nigel

New Shape White over Silver V6 LPG JAL Side Conversion Mushroom Roof
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 am

People more expert than me will probably explain, but mine (and I think all do?) has two small fold down seats behind the front driver/passenger seats, (they double up as footrests for passengers in the middle row.) You can fold the middle row seatbacks down to show the table tops that are built in to them, then you can have 4 people sitting round them, 2 on the 'footrest' seats and two (or three) in the third row of seats..

Derek
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:05 am

Bainsy wrote:There is a small folding seat attached to the rear of each front seat.
All is explained in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRcbbH_zTF8
amauvis
Bongonaut

Post by amauvis » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, so all is possible :)

We're also kicking around the idea of getting an unconverted MPV and then getting a conversion to a rear kitchen, rather than a side kitchen (or buying one in that configuration). Reasoning is more bed-space, possibility of having more seats when in daily (non-camper) use and also the possibility of having the kids (6 and 2) within reach of the front seats, for the administration of sustenance, toys and justice. Any comments on the two configurations?
Bainsy
Bongonaut

Post by Bainsy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:23 am

A side conversion on the Bongo would probably result in removal of the drivers side fold up seat.
Nigel

New Shape White over Silver V6 LPG JAL Side Conversion Mushroom Roof
Nogob
Bongonaut

Post by Nogob » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:26 am

Hi, we couldn't decide on side or rear conversion either so in the end decided to buy unconverted and live with it a while. Two years on and we're still unconverted - and happy that way.

We took the rear seats out and have a cheap (Argos) storage unit in the back that holds day trip essentials most of the time or clothes when we're away for any length of time. This doubles as a bench so we can get four around the "table" of the middle seat.

Having used the Bongo for quite a few holidays (the longest being 3 weeks), I've not seen a conversion that could easily store all of our junk on the move. So whilst the back of our Bongo may look like Steptoe's cart, at least the front and middle seats are clear and comfortable for long journeys.

I'm sure there are people who do perfectly well with conversions, everyone has different needs, the point I'm suggesting is that if you get an unconverted van and play around with it for a bit, it might help you reach a better decision about what type of conversion, if any, to go for.
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:06 am

Nogob wrote:Hi, we couldn't decide on side or rear conversion either so in the end decided to buy unconverted and live with it a while. Two years on and we're still unconverted - and happy that way.

We took the rear seats out and have a cheap (Argos) storage unit in the back that holds day trip essentials most of the time or clothes when we're away for any length of time. This doubles as a bench so we can get four around the "table" of the middle seat.

Having used the Bongo for quite a few holidays (the longest being 3 weeks), I've not seen a conversion that could easily store all of our junk on the move. So whilst the back of our Bongo may look like Steptoe's cart, at least the front and middle seats are clear and comfortable for long journeys.

I'm sure there are people who do perfectly well with conversions, everyone has different needs, the point I'm suggesting is that if you get an unconverted van and play around with it for a bit, it might help you reach a better decision about what type of conversion, if any, to go for.
We did this unconverted for 2 years so we could make up our mines how we like it ened up with this http://www.clearcutconversions.co.uk/co ... -plus.html
There so many conversion out there best way we found was to going to the main bash and look around if it not to far from you you get to see lots in one place and may hlep you make up your mine its the van for you and a a good day trip out as well :D
take it easy drive a bongo
nigelgibson
Tribal Elder

Post by nigelgibson » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:33 pm

i love the line about administering sustenance , toys and justice !

i have tried full conversion , side and rear. The best for me which retains maximum space is the stimson kit in link below.
normal selling price [ i have dave's tel. number that makes them] is around £250 to £300

it's a lightweight well made kit which allows cooking/washing etc in or outside.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stimson-Explo ... 35bcf9b3e4
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi

We've got a 3 y/o and a 5 y/o.

Bought our unconverted Freda in February and we all really love it. Ours has split rear seats which can fold up so we've loads of storage.

We just take a camping stove and a tent with us (to store the car seats when the seats are made into a bed) and so far we've either allslept downstairs or if it's warm enough (we live in Scotland) my husband sleeps upstairs and me and the kids downstairs.

The downstairs bed is rather bumpy but we don't seem to find this a problem as we just all curl up around the lumps and bumps. We also have a thin self inflating mattress which helps a little.

We always camped before we had the kids so enjoy eating outside etc but we have used the table created by folding the middle seats and it's all you could need from a table :lol:

Good luck with your search.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
RobEvans
Bongolier

Post by RobEvans » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi we went for a removable rear kitchen conversion from north star conversions in Southampton. They are on e bay as well. It is easy to fit and remove if you ever need the rear seats again or need the space for carrying loads. It has a sink 2 hob cooker and plenty of storage. Hope this helps rob
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:35 am

We're a family of 4 too. We went for a rear conversion so we could keep the original middle seats and belts.
Here's our conversion (on the bongo WIKI):

We had a 'gate-leg' extension added to the bench seats, so we can sit 4 round the table.
It's cosy, but then the bongo isn't huge anyway.

Darron
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
amauvis
Bongonaut

Post by amauvis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks very much again for everyone's replies - good, helpful forum this 8)

As said, I'm based in Belgium but as I've just lost my job, we will be making my way back over the water once we've sold our house. But seeing that I have a window of time before I get yoked to a desk again, to spend a bit of time with the family, I figured that now would be the time to do it, hence I'm all in favour of going out and panic-buying something but my ever cautious wife wants information 'n things. Very inconvenient :P And, as I've never even clapped eyes on a Bongo (none here in LHD land), all I have to go on is information I can find on-line. I will need to have organised a purchase by mid July, in time for the annual Devon camping trip.

I also want to justify buying another vehicle during straitened times (this will be our fourth) on the basis that it can be used not only primarily for camping trips, but as a people carrier, and as a load carrier. The latter would be useful when we move back to the UK, as we have some pets that will require transportation, and the former would be useful when transporting the kids and their friends, and also when the outlaws visit (again).

I've seen a nice 99 new shape Freda with 70K on the clock and everything we need but it has the popular side kitchen conversion leaving only four usable seats. Like this:

This effectively rules out the people carrying element. But, what's to stop me eventually re-siting the fridge to the middle cupboard, and installing a middle (removable) two-seat bench on runners? Obviously I'd have to find an adult or competent person to assist me with this, but is it feasible? Could the rear seat also be re-installed (and removable) on the same full-length track? I think this might tick all the boxes for us in the end, especially in terms of making it a proper load-lugger too.

Finally, it appears to me that prices are falling. The Freda I'm looking at is more than £1000 less than any comparable vehicle and not attracting any bids. Other comparable campers (Elgrand, T5, etc) are not making their reserves. Is this a recent phenomenon, or is it genuinely a good time to be buying?
lancyman
Bongolier

Post by lancyman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 am

Our van has a removable kitchen unit, and no rear seats.
We sit two people on the foot / seat things, and sit two in the back on
Cushions, with the seats setup as the table. Works fine.
amauvis
Bongonaut

Post by amauvis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:31 am

Apologies for the numpty questions. Have now found the "show me your insides" thread which seems to be answering a load of questions for me :)

Return to “Bongoing with Children”