Would a Petrol fit instead of Diesel?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Would a Petrol fit instead of Diesel?

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed May 30, 2012 1:29 pm

you will get good coolant flow with this baby.
http://www.volvopentashop.com/JamesTroo ... selEngines
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi
Rover and gas conversion sounds good...effectively giving more MPG...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
bandario
Junior Bongonaut

Post by bandario » Wed May 30, 2012 10:19 pm

I have often pondered this - if I started to experience engine failure on this level I would probably give up on the 2.5TD and find a bloody good workshop willing to take on a project.

I love the bongo but I have to say it is the most overcomplicated mess of unnecessary tubes, wires and hoses I have ever seen in an engine bay and really not worth the fuel economy you get out of it. I'm quite happy with the power delivery for the size and weight of the vehicle but it really does just use too much fuel.

I'm sure there must be a better option out there that has still got high parts availability and would run as a self contained unit without needing to mess with ECUs etc. Marine diesel is an interesting idea - is that a realistic suggestion? How would you deal with gear shifting etc? Go manual?

Just imagine getting in there and ripping out all of those bloody hoses! I have never once needed the rear heater - I'd love to see these vans with a cooling system that just goes to the radiator and back - 2 large hoses rather than 90.

I've always been a fan of the 3.5L Rover V8 but as stated - the power is almost the same and fuel economy is a lot worse. I think a large V6 running on LPG would be the way forward but it is hard to guarantee fuel availability once you pass city limits which is scary so you would not really be getting around your fuel tank issue.

Perhaps a triple rotor, twin turbo mazda engine is the way ;) They way Wankel intended!!!

You would truly own the most unique and purebred mazda in the world.
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Thu May 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi,

I have a 1997 Volvo V70 TDI ("classic") with the Audi 5 cyl diesel engine in addition to my Bongo. In moments of reflection I have often wondered if the Volvo diesel engine would fit in the Bongo if all hell broke loose there.

One point to ponder.. ok the Volvo is using the VAG group 5cyl tdi in transverse orientation and hence there maybe problems with mounts etc BUT the Audi A6 from which it came uses it in the longitudinal orientation (likewise for the 4cyl tdi's - so get one from an A4 or a Passat rather than a Golf, Touran etc).

As for economy - my big heavy v70 with 180K on the clock does 45 round town and 50mpg on a run. There may be something in the gearing/different compression etc in the VAG Van applications but I dont think the Bongo is that much heavier than the v70 unladen (the metalwork is literally twice as thick on the Volvo). Ok the aerodynamics are a little different (Concorde droop snoot conversion for the pimp forum anyone :D ).

When I'm not on BongoFury I'm also known to look at the magazine "Practical Performance Car" - a sort of intelligent tuning magazine on older interesting cars (not plastic corsa's) and its full of advice on making up mounts on engine conversions. One of the staff writers even has a Bongo which has fleetingly appeared. However - they are quite in favour of standalone ECU's - such as Emerald which can be programmed for both Petrol and Diesel (as far as I know).

The biggest issue is the gear box.. and here maybe a recent PPC article (and its a big if) - Volvo had some big RWD saloons/estates (940/960) that used the same engine as the V70 transverse engine application -MAYBE one of these might bolt onto a v70 tdi using the VAG=>Volvo bellhousing. If so, then all you would need to fabricate are the mounts and the propshaft (assuming 2wd).

Its still a lot of work for perhaps not much of a gain in economy.. and you'd still need to sort the coolant bleeding issue. So if my Bongo blew up at the time something nasty happened to the bodyshell of my Volvo I might get the tape measure and the hacksaw out... But with replacement Bongo engines at £900+ and I already had a good Volvo tdi engine then it might just make sense (if you like getting your hands dirty).

Just a thought...

Steve
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 pm

. :oops: .of course having said that - I would still have the mounts issue I talked about at the top. I should buy an old A6 diesel AND then wait for that to expire in a non-engine related way!

S
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu May 31, 2012 12:54 pm

the mounts bit is sorted 8) . i was chatting to this guy the other day, uk side is very well run,and he can make just about any mount.
http://www.fibet.co.uk/.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu May 31, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi
I had rather thought of a small V8 in the under-bonnet area, and live-shaft into the Bongo auto-box, and the bulkhead modified to suit, as a friend was going to do just that...live- shaft the Landrover engine to a Range-Rover box, in a Land-Rover...due to disability...You'd need up-rated coils on the suspension, or maybe re-tempered, and find what sort of power the standard Bongo box will take....Heating via a more generous radiator, and ducted through the floor area using pre-insulated tubing, with protection for the engine heat as well, and a shared system for the air-con....no need for a second aircon unit in the rear...or heater, if it's all ducted....Any amount of spare space in the current Bongo engine area would be great for batteries....There's a host of possibilities if you move things around, and engines a-plenty if you don't have to spend out on engines tagged "for a Bongo"....The whole issue is only as daunting as you make it, as a lot of the engine-mounts and body-strengthening can be farmed out, and welded in later...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Considering all the iterations of the VW campers - Porsche engines etc , I am suprised that someone hasn't heavily modded a Bongo with a different engine.

The VAG 2.5TDI does sound good, but I thought the 1.9 or 2.0Tdi would have enough oooomph (they use it in the big Audis and VWs) and have better MPG. Also, with the 1.9 engine, there are LOADS of cars from Seats, Skodas, VWs, Audis which would be languishing in scrap yards waiting for a budding Bongo mechanic.

Return to “Techie Stuff”