Added value of LPG

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Hollis

Re: Added value of LPG

Post by Hollis » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi

I had decided to get the spark plugs changed but today when I went to start my Bongo in order to take it to my local garage no way was it going to go. The LED lights on the LPG did not light and I had to call the recovery people out.

They fiddled with a few wires and checked the fuses out and it actually started.

I got the plugs changed and it how goes so much better only hope the non starting is a one off event.

Derek
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi there,

I'm no LPG expert but have had a few issues along the way and learned from that. A good HT system is very important for good LPG running so along with the plugs it would be wise for you to check the disty cap and rotor arm as in mine these were worn. I know others too have had issues, including the carbon finger in the disty cap which also wears out. This in itself could cause poor starting, even though it's starting from cold on petrol.

Also make sure that other service items are in good order such as the air filter and coolant level. There is a common opinion that reducing the spark plug gap slightly also aids LPG running. Again I always did that but can't say I noticed much. As the plugs and filters are cheap I tended to change mine once a year, with the oil and filter twice a year, more than scheduled but I am fussy and the cost is low.

Can't comment on the non starting other than to say the car should be able to run on either fuel and even if you disconnected the LPG system electrics it should still run on petrol. However it does seem a co-incidence that this has happened so soon afterwards.

You have a warranty so if you do get issues and can be confident that was due to the LPG system or it's fitting take it back and get them to check it over.

Good luck, do keep us posted and maybe try and take a good look over the car to see what the installation looks like. If in doubt take some photo's and post them up for people to comment on.

Andy
iBongo

Post by iBongo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:44 pm

I was wondering how much people are paying for a litre of LPG?

2 weeks ago my local Shell station was 75.99 a litre.

Today 6/3/2012 85.99 :shock:

Cheapest I can find is at Asda, last time I visited it was 68.99, BUT, very few Asda stations have LPG, the closest Asda with LPG to me is Kirkcaldy. A good 2 hour round trip. Bongo Bill ( Campercraft ) is about 500 yards from it.

Everytime I visit Bill I top up :lol:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:59 pm

iBongo wrote:I was wondering how much people are paying for a litre of LPG?

2 weeks ago my local Shell station was 75.99 a litre.

Today 6/3/2012 85.99 :shock:

Cheapest I can find is at Asda, last time I visited it was 68.99, BUT, very few Asda stations have LPG, the closest Asda with LPG to me is Kirkcaldy. A good 2 hour round trip. Bongo Bill ( Campercraft ) is about 500 yards from it.

Everytime I visit Bill I top up :lol:

It makes you Wonder..I can remember Diesel being Cheaper than Petrol :)
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:33 pm

As with all such things it always pays to shop around. Make sure you use on-line resources such as petrolprices and don't forget local calor centres too.

That way as the prices fluctuate (as they always do) you can be sure you are getting the best deal.

Near me both stations that do LPG go up and down, one slightly further afield is almost always cheapest and doesn't change so regularly either.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:35 pm

I reckon when the noise about the Tax on Petrol gets to loud again for the Government of the day, then they will make a big show of saying they will stop the rises ....
and quietly put the increase onto LPG instead!

Lets see August is the next planned increase isn't it ?

Mind you could we use Jet Fuel in a Bongo ? No Tax or VAT .....

Edit:... Just done some more reading see this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2011/tiin6330.pdf
o The 2012-13 increase in fuel duty will be implemented on 1 August 2012.
• On 1 August 2012 rebated oils will also rise in proportion to the main rate. The duty differential for compressed natural gas will be maintained, but the differential for liquefied petroleum gas will be reduced by the equivalent of 1 penny per litre.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:16 pm

I paid £0.72 a litre last Thursday .. up from the £0.66 of a few weeks ago ... I will see what this Thursdays price is ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:59 pm

Always a jump this time of year when we have a cold snap however short ... Same happened last year ..
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”