where to buy heads?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jimbob738
Bongolier
Location: Jaaaaacksdale! but a nottingham boy throught and through! you reds

Re: where to buy heads?

Post by Jimbob738 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 pm

My Van past the cylinder head leakage test today which i feel is a good sign, tested from warm ran for 20 mins stayed blue all the while didnt go yellow and the bottom hose was nice and hot so this is a good indicator of a sound head yeah people?
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:01 am

mine passed ,but still have probs..

I thought i did a presure test until foind the valve i used were non return valves thus giving a faulty reading...

i have made it up proper now and will start over again,in a way i hope to find leaks!!

uv testing this week as well..

funny how your brain melts when you have these sorts of probs,even the smallest job is enough to think about..
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:03 am

This whole situation is every bongos owners worst nightmare and we are living proof of it mate but stand tough and keep cool we will sort it.

everyone has told me to change every single hose and water pump problem is we dont know what sort of lives they had before we got them do we?
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:04 am

Jimbob738 wrote:My Van past the cylinder head leakage test today which i feel is a good sign, tested from warm ran for 20 mins stayed blue all the while didnt go yellow and the bottom hose was nice and hot so this is a good indicator of a sound head yeah people?
It's a reliable test - put it next to the tail pipe and see if it turns yellow - that'll test the dye :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:23 am

I am going to run 1 more test 2moro but im sure if the head was warped or leaking it would go yellow in no time i have used this kit before on other cars and always showed up, 1 rover 1 honda civic 1.6 sohc and 1 vauxhall zafira they all had warped heads they all went yellow.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 am

dandywarhol,hope for me yet then! mine passed...

still not happy mine is 100% water tight..

gone past the worry now,i feel that take it as it comes,will sort it in the end #-o
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:44 am

Good attitude to adopt think i will try that one just the amount of money my van cost its daunting to think if it goes bang i just panic.
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:27 pm

I have bought a proper pressure testing kit for 50 pounds bargain considering its a useful thing to have by the sounds of it if your a bongo owner :lol: and im going to do more stringent testing on the coolent, i have calmed down thought about it i dont like the thought of buying parts if i dont know whats wrong in the first place plus i aint rich 8) .
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:06 pm

well im a happy man found my leak was the water pump the whole you cant see typical so i have just fitted the new one and removed thermostat coz that was in a bad way aswell and the radiator was blocked up solid to the point i couldnt even drain it so ordered a shiney new aluminium one hopefully here tomorrow, i pressure tested the hoses last night at 1.1 bar and not one leaked so that bodes well, i also have a brand new thermostat geniune mazda one so im looking forward to getting this sorted and some holidays in soon.

[-o<
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:41 pm

well done you!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:31 pm

Jimbob738 wrote:well im a happy man found my leak was the water pump the whole you cant see typical so i have just fitted the new one and removed thermostat coz that was in a bad way aswell and the radiator was blocked up solid to the point i couldnt even drain it so ordered a shiney new aluminium one hopefully here tomorrow, i pressure tested the hoses last night at 1.1 bar and not one leaked so that bodes well, i also have a brand new thermostat geniune mazda one so im looking forward to getting this sorted and some holidays in soon.

[-o<
Lucky man jimbob - sounds like your vans been in a clod climate and hasn't done much arduous running if the rad was so blocked! Just goes to prove the theory that the radiator does nothing until the van is under a bit of strain or a v. hot climate.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:59 pm

dandywarhol wrote:
Jimbob738 wrote:well im a happy man found my leak was the water pump the whole you cant see typical so i have just fitted the new one and removed thermostat coz that was in a bad way aswell and the radiator was blocked up solid to the point i couldnt even drain it so ordered a shiney new aluminium one hopefully here tomorrow, i pressure tested the hoses last night at 1.1 bar and not one leaked so that bodes well, i also have a brand new thermostat geniune mazda one so im looking forward to getting this sorted and some holidays in soon.

[-o<
Lucky man jimbob - sounds like your vans been in a clod climate and hasn't done much arduous running if the rad was so blocked! Just goes to prove the theory that the radiator does nothing until the van is under a bit of strain or a v. hot climate.
not sure about the lucky part its still cost me 200 ish to sort out but atleast the head didnt blow, the rad was real bad mate never seen one that blocked in all my days, but the new one should flow nice and new pump no dropping water levels [-o< i was bobing my pants thinking the head was warped so 200 better than 500 for new head.

oh yes and i will be buying a coolent alarm when i have done this job and a temp guage.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 pm

dandywarhol wrote:

[-o<
Yup, it'll be the clods that blocked up the rad. alright :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:26 pm

Gotta watch them clods they tricky fellas :lol: i get his point still.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 am

But you do realise that the new one won't flow nice unless it gets up a few long hills and hot enough to open the 'stat.........................and that's what has probably saved your head from damage - the fact that the radiator is secondary in the cooling system, until it HAS to work.

At least £200 has got you almost back to what it was like 17 years ago :wink:

PS

It's weird - I've had a bout of labyrinthitis, inner ear infection, and I've been making more typo mistakes over the past month -

yours, Claude.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar

Return to “Techie Stuff”