Exhaust has fallen half off

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Printer
Bongonaut

Exhaust has fallen half off

Post by Printer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi guys

Driving home last night and suddenly exhaust sounded way noisier. I got it home but on inspection this is what I found:

Now obviously I need a new exhaust as this has a hole in it and is clearly banjaxed! Do I need a whole new exhaust or just back box? Also, my mechanic is about 1 hour drive from me. Is it safe to drive it to him? Should I take the back box off altogether and then drive it to him? If so how do I do this.

Replies asap would be great as hoping to bring it to him today.

Finally, can I get parts I need in the Bongo Shop here. I am a member but I cant seem to get into members area, keeps saying page non existant or error. How much am I looking at?
rita
Supreme Being

Re: Exhaust has fallen half off

Post by rita » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Printer,

Do not drive the vehicle in that state,remove the silencer before you move it.you could end up wrecking the bumper and maybe some one driving behind you.Its only held on with rubber brackets (bands)..
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:31 pm

A very common occurrence...............

Read all the back threads on exhausts and you'll see my advice is to "dump the oil drum".
Take that back box off and you'll see how much it weighs and it really doesn't seem to do much. In the past some have just fitted a small straight through back box and others have just fitted a length of plain pipe and even that has passed MOTs although that probably depends on the tester.

Almost everybody who has gone the alternative route seems to have reported that the engine seems to rev better without the back pressure from the "oil drum".
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Un hook the supports, and keep them. Chuck the back box in a skip. Be amazed at how heavy it is!

You should be safe enough with it removed, you may find it a wee bit louder, but probably not as loud as you would expect.

The back box comes with the pipe attached which goes over the axle to the flange just behind the centre box, so you would only need a back box in this case.

However, I'd get the van up on ramps and check the condition of the rest of the system. It may all be ready to drop off. If it is all worth replacing, this is an ideal chance to swap it for a stainless steel one and then you won't have to worry about it again.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Printer
Bongonaut

Post by Printer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks for quick responses guys.

i have taken it off and you were right, it is really heavy! I can get a new exhaust pack (centre and rear) for £174 including postage to Ireland from here. Is that the right way to go or will it be one of those big heavy ones then?

Im bringing it to an exhaust centre now to look at so maybe he will have another option.

Is best option mild steel not stainless steel?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Replacement backbox for £43 + postage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Bongo-R ... _889wt_689

Stainless exhausts are a good investment if you intend to keep the van for a while. Make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty as they are more prone to cracking than mild steel versions. Also let the insurance company know. It probably won't affect your premium, but it is classed as a modification, so better safe than sorry.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:26 pm

If you definatley intend to keep it for some time a (more expensive) stainless steel system would be better, as most have lifetime guarantee ..

I have a stainless steel system on my Bongo that was fitted in Japan ..

Simon Jones posted as I typed ...
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Printer
Bongonaut

Post by Printer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:34 pm

I suppose I plan on keeping the Bongo for next 3-5 years at least.

Is that link you posted a Mild Steel or Stainless Steel one? £43 is a massive difference to £160 on here. Are other parts way cheaper on ebay too (if I need them in future), i thought the discounted shop on here was good value??
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:17 pm

£43 will be for a mild steel back box... stainless will be a bit more than that @ around the £160 mark ...

A local company to me have a good reputation for supply only (or fitting) Bongo Stainless steel systems ...

http://www.mijperformance.com/exhaust-mazda.html

Or find them on eBay ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
PisceanJoy
Bongolier

Post by PisceanJoy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Same happened to me on boxing day
Removed it drove around till yesterday when it was fixed
got mine off ebay
There is a thread if you search Exhaust with several ebay suppliers
mine cost £47.50

Return to “Techie Stuff”