Bongo 2.5td and Ford RAnger engine difference/CAm belts..

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

johnb8840

Post by johnb8840 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:36 am

Talking of word of mouth, heres another one for you. After driving my Bongo for a few weeks, July last year, I thought the bgearchange was a little jerky on change-up. So I asked around for a gearbox man, and was recomended this guy
M Brogan,
Automatic Transmission Services,
Unit 5, Park Chesterfield,
Chapel Road,
Smallfield,
Surry.
01342 842229.
He works on his own from a small unit at the above address.He has been working on auto- boxes for over 25 years. When I phoned about the Bongo box , he said that he had not worked on a Bongo , but bring it in. After a quick look at the box he ,oh yes they put this box in loads of cars, no problem.

So for a full serviceon the box ,and oil change in transfer box plus both axles £85. I was more than happy, and would definitely go back.

John & Diane
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:43 pm

:D Thanks john,ian,tigger,moonshine etc.....Your indepth coments are very appreciated.....
I do have a good machanic who is very good for changing parts and equally good for his prices, just not fantastic at finding faults, but i think i can trust him with the cam belt....As a rule honestly i would never pay Main dealership prices....The only time i would use them if i was wanted to keep up with the main dealer service history from new(as my last car a seat cupra VT)very pricey yes, :x but some people, myself included know all too well that dealers charge through the nose for servicing and i cant understand how they can possibly get away with it , BUT i would pay a little bit more when buying a vehicle ( like my CUPRA was) that had a FULL main dealer history, as we all know that when you have those stamps you know NO expense has been spared....Irrespective of whether you would have had just as good of a service with a smaller garage...

I have contacted JPNZ in new zealand, the people whom translate the mazda bongo handbook manual. If anyone has one the book shows that the bongo cam belt should be changed at 100000km only and NO time frame period.......
They are looking into it for me if there SHOULD have been printed that there is infact a time period through the original japenese manual.
End of the day if MAZDA in JAPAN says every 5years 10 years or 100000km i will go with whatever they come up with.....
AS in previous posts NO one has come forward with any cam belts snapping on ANY jap car under 100000km.....
I can honestly understand people saying pay the £150-£250 for a belt change inc rollers etc, but i cant see the reason to simply through away cash when you dont need to....
I will keep you all posted once i have the info back from JPNZ... :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”