Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sleepwalker
Bongonaut

2 random problems

Post by sleepwalker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi all,

Couple of problems developed over the last couple of weeks..can you help

Problem 1 - car stereo receiving no power - have changed the recomended fuse under the dash and re crimped the live, ignition and earth wires where I originally wired it in. Still no joy. Took the stereo back to Halfords (only 3 months old) and it powered up fine on their demo board so I know its not a fault with the stereo. Do any of you clever people have any other recommendations for things to check or other fault finding ideas? I don't actually have a volt meter but just thought I'd check with the forum before swallowing my pride and going to auto electrician (or clever friend with vault meter). Could any under bonnet fuses come into play here?

Problem 2 - Central Locking stopped working - I've checked, but not replaced the fuse under the dash so I admit I need to do this first. Are there any under bonnet fuses that could be causing this issue? Are there any obvious bits of wiring/looms to check for problems. As far as I know the central locking is factory fitted and worked without issue using a fob on my keys. At first i thought the fob battery might be flat but even when I use the key on the drivers door it doesn't open any other locks and I'm assuming it should do.

Thanks a lot
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Re: 2 random problems

Post by wonkanoby » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:19 pm

as to the second wiring loom from door to frane is common culprit
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Sometimes the radio and the central locking are connected to the leisure battery if you have one.
If the leisure battery is low on power this can affect the radio and the central locking.
If you dont have a leisure battery, sorry #-o dunno apart from fuses and wiring loom.
Lost without my Bongo.
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:39 pm

daveblueozzie wrote:Sometimes the radio and the central locking are connected to the leisure battery if you have one.
If the leisure battery is low on power this can affect the radio and the central locking.
If you dont have a leisure battery, sorry #-o dunno apart from fuses and wiring loom.
what he said :wink: . This would definitely be my first suggestion.
perros huevos
Bongolier

Post by perros huevos » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:21 pm

hi on the back of your stereo there will be a plug if you put a piece of wire connecting pin 4 & 7 normally red & yellow with the ignition switched on if the radio powers up then you will find your central locking also works again & that the permanent supplied feed needs taking from another wire at the fuse box
sleepwalker
Bongonaut

Post by sleepwalker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:30 pm

thanks all....it was a leisure battery issue....i think the low charge had popped a fuse that was protecting the main car battery from draining when the leisure is low. Also the permanent live for the stereo appears to be coming from the leisure. Thanks for all the replies. A battery charger has been ordered to stop this happening in the future. Thanks again
perros huevos
Bongolier

Post by perros huevos » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:11 pm

sleepwalker wrote:thanks all....it was a leisure battery issue....i think the low charge had popped a fuse that was protecting the main car battery from draining when the leisure is low. Also the permanent live for the stereo appears to be coming from the leisure. Thanks for all the replies. A battery charger has been ordered to stop this happening in the future. Thanks again
hi must have been the van battery that went low & when the van tried to pull current from the leisure battery to start engine it blew the fuse
chris
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:32 pm

...or the other way round: current drain of flat LB blew the fuse to the split charge. I've had it happen to me as previous owner had used a 20A fuse which was way too low.

Return to “Techie Stuff”