Keeping the kids happy - watch movies on the Nintendo DS

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

IggleDiggle

Keeping the kids happy - watch movies on the Nintendo DS

Post by IggleDiggle » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:22 pm

We are off camping next week and needed something to entertain the kids on the journey down. I have just bought a card for £13.99 and a micro sd card for £11.99. With the right software you can convert your DS to a movie player. Not sure whether I can discuss these on the forums, so I wont mention details. If anyones interested PM me and I will give details of how I did it.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Re: Keeping the kids happy - watch movies on the Nintendo DS

Post by dvisor » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:25 pm

We did the same - proved to be a godsend when we were on long trips with the kids. You can do much more than just movies if its the card I'm thinking of :wink: In fact, it was one of the guys on here that first brought it to my attention a year or two ago.
Two tonne tin drum
dext924

Post by dext924 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:28 pm

You can also turn it in to an e-reader and read all your favourite books. We have one each with said card in, what a money saver!!!! :D
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:25 pm

You overpaid :)
IggleDiggle

Post by IggleDiggle » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Yes, it does allow you to do more than just watch movies.
Found a great program to convert dvds/divx/etc to to mobile format, e.g. ipod/iphone/ds/etc. Its called DVD Fab. 1 click conversion and really easy to use. Its on a 30 day trial but enough time to get some films, kids tv, etc for the long journey.
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:36 pm

IggleDiggle wrote:Yes, it does allow you to do more than just watch movies.
Found a great program to convert dvds/divx/etc to to mobile format, e.g. ipod/iphone/ds/etc. Its called DVD Fab. 1 click conversion and really easy to use. Its on a 30 day trial but enough time to get some films, kids tv, etc for the long journey.
Nice one!
Wanted to transfer some films to the ipod, works a treat!
=D> =D>
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Handbrake can also be used to create iPod compatible movies - its free and very easy to use, but doesn't decrypt DVDs (which DVD Fab Decrypter does). By the way, its worth trying to track down an old version of DVD Fab Decrypter online - some of the older versions were free, and still work just as well. Alternatively, DVD shrink can also be used to decrypt.
Two tonne tin drum
dext924

Post by dext924 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:30 pm

I have used handbrake for DVDs, only on the Mac though. Can't say if it works for DS, as I only play games on it, lots of em!
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:52 pm

If you planning on getting one, I'd make it quick! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10790835

I find this bit interesting "The mere fact that the device can be used for a non-infringing purpose is not a defence," read the ruling by Justice Floyd. " - By extension, that means that VCRs, cassette recorders, cars, kitchen knives and just about anything else could be made illegal.
Two tonne tin drum
umbongo.umbongo

Post by umbongo.umbongo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:05 pm

We had our first overnight stay in our new Bongo, we have just got a http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=228029 7" TV/DVD fits perfect in the centre console tray! keeps the kids quiet for hours, we have the sound through the stereo's MP3 connector.
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:51 pm

dvisor wrote:If you planning on getting one, I'd make it quick! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10790835

I find this bit interesting "The mere fact that the device can be used for a non-infringing purpose is not a defence," read the ruling by Justice Floyd. " - By extension, that means that VCRs, cassette recorders, cars, kitchen knives and just about anything else could be made illegal.
I think the above argument is slightly skewed, perhaps more that by putting a vanity mirror on a gun, it doesn't really mean that its not first and foremost a killing device, the primary role of the gadget you highlight is to allow piracy of games.

If I might declare an interest, my son is just finishing a Masters degree in Computer Games Programming, Computer Games are one of the UK's success stories, but the industry is under huge pressure through things like piracy, and at the end of the day, these gadgets do cost jobs, and high quality skilled ones at that, as people like Nintendo and Microsoft use a lot of small businesses to produce their games, so low sales hit small companies.

The industry is being targeted by other countries, who see the potential in it, and my son could end up in Canada, Australia or South Korea, all of which offer massive tax breaks to their industry, and the UK is falling behind in an industry with more sales than the Film industry worldwide, which is really sad to see.

Just something to think about when offered a 'bargain', someone usually pays for this in the end.
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:39 pm

munroman wrote:
dvisor wrote:If you planning on getting one, I'd make it quick! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10790835

I think the above argument is slightly skewed, perhaps more that by putting a vanity mirror on a gun, it doesn't really mean that its not first and foremost a killing device, the primary role of the gadget you highlight is to allow piracy of games.
Granted - I was being facetious, but I got to say that I don't think its a particularly good reason for banning something. There were a lot of legitimate uses for cassette recorders, but it didn't stop the music industry trying to get a tax passed in an attempt to virtually wipe out blank cassette tape sales. Thankfully they didn't get away with it that time.
munroman wrote:If I might declare an interest, my son is just finishing a Masters degree in Computer Games Programming, Computer Games are one of the UK's success stories, but the industry is under huge pressure through things like piracy, and at the end of the day, these gadgets do cost jobs, and high quality skilled ones at that, as people like Nintendo and Microsoft use a lot of small businesses to produce their games, so low sales hit small companies.

The industry is being targeted by other countries, who see the potential in it, and my son could end up in Canada, Australia or South Korea, all of which offer massive tax breaks to their industry, and the UK is falling behind in an industry with more sales than the Film industry worldwide, which is really sad to see.

Just something to think about when offered a 'bargain', someone usually pays for this in the end.
Perhaps they should be looking at themselves and wondering why people are doing this? £30-40 for a child's game is extortionate and encourages piracy. Although these devices can be used for piracy, there are some very legitimate uses for them - homebrew games for example. Also the ability to load several games in a single card to save having to carry around several cartridges. They can also be used as MP3 players and movie viewers. Technically, I believe it is illegal to record a TV program to VCR or hard disk for viewing later (time-shifting), but it is an accepted practice. Should the home recorder be banned? I guess I feel strongly about this because the consumer has been ripped off for years. I look at my record collection and wonder how many thousands I have spent over the years. If I copy these to MP3 I am technically doing something illegal, even though I am merely transferring something I paid for from one media format to another. The latest rip off is for ebooks, where it costs as much, if not more, for the electronic version than the print version! How the hell do they work that one out? Publishing and distribution costs are minimal in comparison. But, they can get away with it so they do.
Two tonne tin drum
nicstrike
Tribal Elder

Post by nicstrike » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:27 pm

dvisor wrote:
munroman wrote:

Granted - I was being facetious, but I got to say that I don't think its a particularly good reason for banning something. There were a lot of legitimate uses for cassette recorders, but it didn't stop the music industry trying to get a tax passed in an attempt to virtually wipe out blank cassette tape sales. Thankfully they didn't get away with it that time.
munroman wrote:If I might declare an interest, my son is just finishing a Masters degree in Computer Games Programming, Computer Games are one of the UK's success stories, but the industry is under huge pressure through things like piracy, and at the end of the day, these gadgets do cost jobs, and high quality skilled ones at that, as people like Nintendo and Microsoft use a lot of small businesses to produce their games, so low sales hit small companies.

Perhaps they should be looking at themselves and wondering why people are doing this? £30-40 for a child's game is extortionate and encourages piracy. Although these devices can be used for piracy, there are some very legitimate uses for them - homebrew games for example. Also the ability to load several games in a single card to save having to carry around several cartridges. They can also be used as MP3 players and movie viewers. Technically, I believe it is illegal to record a TV program to VCR or hard disk for viewing later (time-shifting), but it is an accepted practice. Should the home recorder be banned? I guess I feel strongly about this because the consumer has been ripped off for years. I look at my record collection and wonder how many thousands I have spent over the years. If I copy these to MP3 I am technically doing something illegal, even though I am merely transferring something I paid for from one media format to another. The latest rip off is for ebooks, where it costs as much, if not more, for the electronic version than the print version! How the hell do they work that one out? Publishing and distribution costs are minimal in comparison. But, they can get away with it so they do.
i'm sure i heard (possibly since this last post) that the law is to be changed to make the copying of "data" ie music/movies to portable devices legal provided that you purchased the original copy legitimately and that it is for your own use.common sense really!
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:22 pm

I bought one of these in the Uk a while ago, but while on hols in Turkey in the summer I bought another on the market for a tenner with 100 games already loaded on. All the latest titles too.
Do what you like.Like what you do.

Return to “Bongoing with Children”