Discs and pads

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tricky Dicky
Bongonaut

Discs and pads

Post by Tricky Dicky » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi all, It's time to change front and rear discs and pads.They show no drastic wear or grooving, but have turned a nice black colour( most likely from lack of use and have glazed the pads too) So what brand do you all recomend.The Bongo is a 1997 2.5 TD tin top.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Discs and pads

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:43 am

got any pictures of the old ones, and do you know what make the pads and discs are/were,so we all can avoid them :shock:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Tricky Dicky wrote:Hi all, It's time to change front and rear discs and pads.They show no drastic wear or grooving, but have turned a nice black colour( most likely from lack of use and have glazed the pads too) So what brand do you all recomend.The Bongo is a 1997 2.5 TD tin top.
Hi Tricky Dicky,

Before you throw the discs away,I would check and make sure that the discs are not meant to be Black.
Some discs can be purchased with a Black heat treated coating.

Cheers.
Tricky Dicky
Bongonaut

Post by Tricky Dicky » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Sorry I don't know what brand existing brakes are,they appear to have turned black by being stood and rusting then being polished by use, it is used as a second car,I will have a good look at them when removed.It may be they can be dressed with a linishing belt and new pads fitted,but at around £200 for new is it worth it?
Rick
Tricky Dicky
Bongonaut

Post by Tricky Dicky » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks for your advice on this topic.I have now replaced front discs and pads with replacment parts from SDN Braking, Spec exceeds oem .The fronts on inspection showed signs of being stood for a period of time, and pitting to the rear disc faces.The rears showed similar marks and slight pitting but cleaned up a treat.The main cause of my ineffectuall braking was found to be seized caliper pins not allowing the unit to slide properly on the fronts,rears were functioning correctly.
Rick

Return to “Techie Stuff”