clicking sound. Transmission?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MightyV6

clicking sound. Transmission?

Post by MightyV6 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:53 pm

I am the pround owner of a Dec 2000 Bongo 2.5 petrol V6. :D

I have been a VW owner for years and jacked it all in after being fed up with breakdowns, rust and crap VW mechanics.

I love my Bongo and wonder why I slummed it for so long with VW T2s, T25s and T4s. Bongos are awesome!!!! I am never going back to VW.

Only thing I have noticed with my Bongo is a clicking,tapping sound when you pull away which I guess is coming from the transmission. It speeds up as you get faster, disapears when you are not accelerating and coasting at low speed (say 15-20mph) or has changed up a couple of gears (or I may not be able to hear it anymore at this stage, over the increased engine noise and speed).

Also It has been reccomended to me a Bongo owner to invest in an over matress for the lumpy bed arrangement with the seats. Can anyone reccomend a good one?

Glad to see Bongo owners are friendly, if not friendlier than VW owners. Had a few chats with fellow owners and getting waves as well! :D

Cheers
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Re: clicking sound. Transmission?

Post by M 80NGO » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi really can't help with any of your questions but welcome to Bongoville, i to came over from rusty, thirsty, slow unreliable, overpriced vw's when i realised that my vw would never manage the 3600 mile eurotrip that i had planned for last year, the T25 was outed in favour of the mighty bongo who lapped up all we threw at her on our euro tour including a lap of the nurbergring, get some pics up so that we can marvel at her in all her bongo glory 8)
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi and welcome

Have you checked you havent got a nail in the tyre?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:32 am

could the clicking be a ticking, #-o , exhaust manifold leaking/gasket/stud broke.
maybe a bearing but :shock: .
lift the seats when engine is cold and have a listen, rev it till its warm, or is the ticking just when the motor is on the road moving.
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:36 am

Hi. Try pushing in the trip meter button near the temp gauge a few times. It may be sticking. It has happened before and caused similar symptoms.
You Tube Films Click Here
"Get your wellies out. No likey floaty Bongo's"
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:36 am

MightyV6 wrote:I am the pround owner of a Dec 2000 Bongo 2.5 petrol V6. :D

I have been a VW owner for years and jacked it all in after being fed up with breakdowns, rust and crap VW mechanics.

I love my Bongo and wonder why I slummed it for so long with VW T2s, T25s and T4s. Bongos are awesome!!!! I am never going back to VW.

Also It has been reccomended to me a Bongo owner to invest in an over matress for the lumpy bed arrangement with the seats. Can anyone reccomend a good one?
Two Lidl guest beds fit perfectly, side by side, assuming no side conversion. They are available quite frequently and are firm and comfortable. They can be used as seats or spare beds around the home and two can be held together with a standard double fitted sheet or mattress protector.

I also have a pair of self inflating camping mattresses, used when space is at a premium and comfort not so important but these have a tendency to slide around.

Memory foam toppers are an alternative but the only ones I have seen are as heavy as two guest beds, much thinner and less versatile.

By the way, don't you miss the space and the walkthrough of the type 25? Still the best ever camping van in many ways. Full length bed at the back and bags of room left to move around in the central area. I've kept mine as a retirement flat to live in and rent the house out!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
MightyV6

Post by MightyV6 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

I will have the seats up and listen to the engine to see if I can identify it. Its definitely coming from there!

Frank (Diplomat), I dont miss my T25 at all! Ok its was nice having the walkthrough space but The Bongo is just leagues better than a VW in build quality, versatility, functions, toys, no rust, no leaking oil, no leaking fuel ...............
I wouldnt give up my Bongo for a 23 Window Samba! :lol:

To be honest I could happily live with the clicking/tapping sound if I cant identify it as it is the least of my concerns compared to when I used to take my VWs out!

Will check out the bed options you suggest. Cheers :D
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 pm

MightyV6 wrote: Frank (Diplomat), I dont miss my T25 at all! Ok its was nice having the walkthrough space but The Bongo is just leagues better than a VW in build quality, versatility, functions, toys, no rust, no leaking oil, no leaking fuel ...............
Well, with a petrol V6 you won't get oil leaking at the top/front of the engine or fuel leaking from the diesel pump and being fairly new the rust won't show up for another five years!

Unfortunately Bongos can come up with aggro that can make VWs seem very uncomplicated. I like the auto box and power of the Bongo, although my T25 is 2100cc injection and no slouch. When it comes to camping, though, the rear engine layout wins hands down as every inch of space is usable. That said, I wouldn't want a splitty or a bay window, the T25 is leaps ahead of them. The newer front engined VWs need to be long wheelbase in order to get the same interior space.

What I like a lot about the Bongo is that the controls were designed at source for RH drive. That's something you now only find on grey imports. The VW gearshift was designed to be cupped inside the German driver's right hand and pulled into first and reverse, not pushed with the British left wrist twisted 180 degrees!

I love the Bongo as an MPV and those guest beds complement it perfectly. With a little bit of rake applied to the rear seat backs it makes an irresistable day van (I only carry one row of seats plus a bed board).

Hope the clicking turns out to be nothing serious.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:14 pm

When I first joined then forum, three and a half years ago, I can remember someone with a V6 and a similar noise. This was diagnosed as the carbon canister. No further information and I cannot remember any other details or how it was solved.

Those with more technical knowledge can say if this is a possibility or a load of old rubbish.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Well remembered Mary =D> , not sure how true/valid it is, but - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... evap+valve
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
MightyV6

Post by MightyV6 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks for the last two posts and putting up the link to the topic.

Blimey, whats and EGR and purge valve when its at home?

Is this an easy fix? Is it expensive?

The topic seems to end with no outcome, doh!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Try PMing the peeps involved?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
lpgimports
Bongolier

Post by lpgimports » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:11 pm

There is a solenoid which controls vacuum in the tank which opens as the bongo pulls away and sometimes this clicks its under the passenger seat and rubber pipe comes from a metal vacuum pipe from manifold and other side to the black canister (carbon canister) and on to the tank... passenger seat up and little drive and obviously on a quiet road listen and put your finger over and touch each solenoid when click and you will work out which one.. obviously look ahead hold wheel etc.!!!

Paul
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:33 pm

Here you are, lower centre for the filter and the solenoid is just to the upper right half hidden by the black tube, the two smaller grey tubes run to it;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MightyV6

Post by MightyV6 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks so much for this. I have printed this off for a mobile mechanic coming to look at it tommorrow.

Can I ask, Is this an expensive part (is it actually the solenoid that needs replacing?) where can I get it from. How much should I expect to pay.

Also If I do nothing and just ignore it (becuase actually even with this noise its a million times quiter than any VW camper I have ever driven with a multitude of stange noises) will I be doing any damage to the engine?

Thanks again for all your help! :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”