Fuel filler flap not opening

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Alifriendee

Fuel filler flap not opening

Post by Alifriendee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi. Just pulled into a petrol station and pulled the fuel flap opener and nothing happened. It pulls out a bit but the flap remains firmly closed. Help!

Hope there is an easy solution as our kitchen unit blocks access to the interior side panel.

Any advice much appreciated.
Last edited by Alifriendee on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Fuel filler flap not opening

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:39 pm

You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Alifriendee

Post by Alifriendee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:19 pm

That's a worry. I was hoping to see an interior "emergency" pull available!

I've driven back to our campsite and had another look. The pull handle comes out half an inch or so and feels loose so I'm guessing the cable has come off the unlocking mechanism somehow.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 am

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

I'm wondering if its possible to remove the rear internal lower trim/panel, (or even just the panel pocket with the one screw in the bottom.?) get your hand into the body panel cavity, then pull the filler flap catch back to pop it open? Part on Kirsty's LP link 42-480.

...Or even if the nipple thing on cable part C has come off the catch release mounting? Replace/re-seat that! :idea:

Providing there isn't a conversion in the way??!!
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Alifriendee

Post by Alifriendee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:06 am

I'll have a go at reaching in via the removable side cubby as our kitchen unit doesn't reach that far back.
Nevets
Bongolier

Post by Nevets » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 am

Hi usually you can just"pop" the little plunger back to open on most cars but with the bongo's you will have to gain access from the inside :(

Easy done on a unconverted just remove the rear cup holder by means of a philips screw and follow the black cable down to the release mechanism and pull on the linkage...

Cheers Steve.
I am the only bongo in the village.......(not anymore there's two of us now "Damn it)
Alifriendee

Post by Alifriendee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:09 am

Relief! I removed the rearmost side cubby and reached in only a few inches to find the latch mechanism. There's a vertical peg on the top of it and with the lightest of pulls the filler flap popped open. It's very easy to do. All you need is a screwdriver to remove the single screw holding the cubby piece in place. It's so quick you could do it at the petrol station and not be holding anyone up.

Thanks for your answers and advice.
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:18 pm

With a full side conversion its alot harder... I managed get it open by placing a rag in the centre of the flap on the rear side and used a flat blade screwdriver to push /bend over the internal locking bracket... If you have no other option of course!!
Im thikning an external lock will be a better and SAFE bet!! :idea: :idea:
Racing green with extras!!Self build full side conversion which rocks!!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”