Electrical Problem

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

freezin

Electrical Problem

Post by freezin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:58 pm

Howdi,

Ive had my van a few months now, ive had a few 'fall-outs' with it but generally think its brilliant.

I plumped for a full side conversion.

we've had major problems with the split charging system.
The give away sign was when the stereo kept flicking on and off until it would no long work.... that was traced back to a blown fuse just before the split relay.

The fuse was replaced and everything worked fine... for a few minutes!
The replaced fuse blew again but this time it burned out the relay.

It went back to the chap who converted it, he changed the battery and the relay.

Ill cut through the crap and tell you that basically (after weeks and weeks of pissing about) it was found that the relay wasnt doing its job, itwasnt charging the leisure battery because the fuse kept blowing, the stereo highlighted this as it was wired to the leisure battery. once the leisure battery was drained, no power to the stereo!

Back to the convertors it goes!

This time they did away with the 3 way system (car/van/hook-up) and just made it run on van/hookup, presuming the relay was being 'confused' by the 3 modes... that didnt work

Again it goes back, im getting pretty miffed by now!
Not only does it come back with the central locking not working but the new diagnosis is that the Alternator is randomly throwing out a spike of electricity which is periodically blowing the fuse/relay.

To combat this they fitted a resistor and a different type of relay.
I got an auto electrician to sort my central locking problem (im sick of taking it back to the dealer/converter's by this time) and he said it looked 'dodgy' and in his opinion it was a poorly installed job.

Now i dont claim to know the first thing about auto-electrics but im thinking that if a resistor is needed then surely there is some more sinister underlying problem.

Can anybody offer advice as im getting the raving hump with this!

Many thanks
Freezin
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:56 pm

Don't know much about your individual case freezin' but if the leisure battery is discharged enough over a period of time and it's of large enough capacity, then the alternator will produce up to 55/60 amps to try to recharge the leisure battery. If your fuse is less than this then it will blow.

I have to be very careful with mine, I have a 115 amp/h leisure battery which can feed a 1200w invertor plus all the van "spare" electrics. If the battery is discharged enough by the microwave after a few applications then the alternator will give max.I have a 60 amp fuse and cable to suit. The split charge relay actually copes with that to my surprise :shock:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:53 pm

Freezin
Are you allowed to name location of dealer as I have had a similar problem this time with a sink water pump wich blew 2 fuses and resulted in a rewire.I am from up north like you! Admittedly it was fixed immediately but it is a worry.
freezin

Post by freezin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:50 am

I could let you know but in fairness to the dealer in question im going to give them a little more time to rectify the situation before giving them derogatory press!

The other issues that ive had to date have been put right (although they should have been done before i picked up the van)

When paying ?13,000 for a vehicle you would expect it to be pristine, Mine was far from it.

The Gaulling part is when you have to take it back, an hour there and an hour back (twice if you are leaving it with them) the fuel bill soon racks up.

It also looks now like the dealer may be trying to wriggle out of his obligations by saying its now out of its 3 month (even though electrical issues have been 'on-going' and reported since just after purchase) warranty period!

As i say ill give them a fair crack ONE FINAL TIME and if im unsatisfied then ill spill the beans!
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:14 pm

Fair comment Freezin,
Its a nice way of conducting it all.But I had to ask as I was worried that it was a common occurrence from a particular dealer.
I have today thoroughly tested all My electrics and thankfully it all seems to be OK now!

Good luck with Your problem and hope it is soon sorted out for You

Cheers Dave

Return to “Techie Stuff”