Control panel for lifting roof

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

busguy
Bongonaut

Control panel for lifting roof

Post by busguy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:25 pm

I have 4WD Bongo Auto FreeTop with what looks like the factory fitted elevating roof where the operation control panel is on the lower dash to the left hand side of the steering wheel above one's left knee. Shows power/up/down plus a display.
What I need to find out is whether there are any other positions that this control box could be fitted as I have another Bongo, same age, same spec except 2WD, but I cannot find the roof operation control panel. I have seen some dash photos of lift roof vehicles and there is no panel showing where my 4WD has one.
Has anyone any knowledge that can help me with this? It will be much appreciated!

I love Bongos ............ but they don't half make me use my brain cells! #-o

John
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Re: Control panel for lifting roof

Post by hembramacho » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:37 pm

busguy wrote:I have 4WD Bongo Auto FreeTop with what looks like the factory fitted elevating roof where the operation control panel is on the lower dash to the left hand side of the steering wheel above one's left knee. Shows power/up/down plus a display.
What I need to find out is whether there are any other positions that this control box could be fitted as I have another Bongo, same age, same spec except 2WD, but I cannot find the roof operation control panel. I have seen some dash photos of lift roof vehicles and there is no panel showing where my 4WD has one.
Has anyone any knowledge that can help me with this? It will be much appreciated!

I love Bongos ............ but they don't half make me use my brain cells! #-o

John
As far as I know the control switch for the factory fitted AFT is above your left shoulder and back a bit when sitting in the drivers seat, in the roof lining, rather than above one's left knee.

Andrew

ps do you have 2 bongos? 8)
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
sparkymik
Bongolier

Post by sparkymik » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:39 pm

In the roof panel above and between the front seats :o

Sparky
The Bongo has gone. Long live The Bongo

Hymer Camp Swing 544/Fiat Ducato 2.3jtd
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:41 pm

As Andrew has said its just behind your head on the roof lining.
thats a very strange place for the control.
Lost without my Bongo.
steviebongo
Tribal Elder

Post by steviebongo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:42 pm

I thought all the factory aft's had the control button on the headcloth/roof? have u any pics of said roof and control sound's like an add on to me.

cheers stevie ,

seem's i was beat to it ,to slow @ typing :lol: :lol:
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:50 pm

busguy wrote: the operation control panel is on the lower dash to the left hand side of the steering wheel above one's left knee. Shows power/up/down plus a display.
That's where the electric blind switches are on mine.

Andrew
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:52 pm

I got the tintop sunroof switch in the same place... Center roof lining, forward of the vents.
& was thinking what a great idea to have it between the front two blind switches..? Or at least a second easy to reach switch for the sun roof located there!

Busguy's switch sounds like a mod to me...? :-k
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:57 pm

Im sure somewhere in the dark distant past posts there has been a mention of a modification to incorporate the AFT roof switch into the dash.....I just cant remember who it was now !! #-o #-o It is possible!!

Dabs #-o
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:05 pm

Dabs wrote:Im sure somewhere in the dark distant past posts there has been a mention of a modification to incorporate the AFT roof switch into the dash.....I just cant remember who it was now !! #-o #-o It is possible!!

Dabs #-o
I'm going to have to go look for that now, cuz my plan is to fit a second switch either in the blank between the blinds, or on the center console... :wink:
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Dabs wrote:Im sure somewhere in the dark distant past posts there has been a mention of a modification to incorporate the AFT roof switch into the dash.....I just cant remember who it was now !! #-o #-o It is possible!!

Dabs #-o
Could be me :roll: but is there much point in doing that. To raise the roof you can reach the original switch from the drivers seat anyway, but to close the roof you would have to be in the rear to press the lock button, and then run around to the drivers seat to press the switch to close it, instead of remaining in the rear and just pressing the original switch again, Am I missing something?

Andrew
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Keep the main switch in the roof headlining though as IMHO its a very good idea to be able to lower it while keeping your head inside the hatch opening and checking the tenting etc. is not 'blowing out' and/or whatever you might store up there isn't about to strain the motors (which you can hear better by doing this) as the roof comes down. There's been one of two ripped tents caused by tenting not staying in place so.... :roll:

Plus of course the lock cancel switch is in the roof anyway :roll:
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:19 pm

hembramacho wrote:

Dabs #-o
Could be me :roll: but is there much point in doing that. To raise the roof you can reach the original switch from the drivers seat anyway, but to close the roof you would have to be in the rear to press the lock button, and then run around to the drivers seat to press the switch to close it, instead of remaining in the rear and just pressing the original switch again, Am I missing something?

Andrew
It'd be damn handy with the sun roof on a tintop though...! :wink:
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:25 pm

jaylee wrote: It'd be damn handy with the sun roof on a tintop though...! :wink:
I would imagine it would be. 8) Got AFT with unopening :( sunroof, so feel I am unable to comment further. :lol:
Looking forward to pics of your next mod then. :wink:

Andrew
busguy
Bongonaut

Post by busguy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Both the Bongos have the single button on the roof lining but the 4WD has an on/off power control panel on the dash and the 2 WD doesn't. I couldn't get the 2WD roof to work from the headlining button and the 4 WD roof will only work if the 'on' button is pressed and the display says, wait for it, ON.
I will check the fuse tomorrow and try the button again. Having the other layout I was convinced something was missing......... my marbles probably..!
Cheers and thanks
John

PS: And yes, two Bongos, double trouble.
4WD is a fixture, but the 2 WD is going, and is currently on ebay for the next 9 days which is why I need to sort it out. :(
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:34 pm

Ok probably a dumb question,
YOU DO HAVE THE HANDBRAKE ON AND IN PARK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING TO RAISE THE ROOF.?
Lost without my Bongo.

Return to “Techie Stuff”