bongos in France, Spain or Portugal

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

jessie1

bongos in France, Spain or Portugal

Post by jessie1 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:43 am

Hi

I am planning to move to France, Spain or Portugal in October for 1 year. I was planning to take a Bongo and have it insured there but I have just noticed a for sale listing by someone who lives in France as he cannot register his Bongo there.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed light on whether its possible to insure it here for a year and then use it on the continent?

Regards

Jessie
scanner
Supreme Being

Re: bongos in France, Spain or Portugal

Post by scanner » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:09 pm

jessie1 wrote:Hi

I am planning to move to France, Spain or Portugal in October for 1 year. I was planning to take a Bongo and have it insured there but I have just noticed a for sale listing by someone who lives in France as he cannot register his Bongo there.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed light on whether its possible to insure it here for a year and then use it on the continent?

Regards

Jessie
You'll need to find an insurer that covers Bongos and who gives 365 day European cover.

I know Saga gives 365 day European cover - but they don't insure Bongos

I know Lifesure insure Bongos - but I don't think they do 365 day European cover.

That's your dilemma - so sorry, it looks like you'll be doing a lot of ringing round.

PS or delete France from your list as I understand Spain/Portugal may have less restrictive registration requirements.

And if it is just for a year do you really want the de-registration - registration abroad - re-registration in UK hassle.
jessie1

Post by jessie1 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks Scanner. As you can tell from my post I don't even know where to start with this one so your reply is very useful...so thank you. I don't want to have to register in France etc so you have cleared that one up! If I'm reading your reply correctly I can insure it here for the year and use it on the continent which is really good news.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Jessie
Colin H F
Supreme Being

Post by Colin H F » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi this is all to do with the fact that the only rear side side door opens into the road (R H D) that is what I was told earlier. So the way round it is to get a left hand drive. Colin
prior owner of >>>>1999 2.5 diesel ex tin top &FORD FREDA 2000 2.0 LTR PETROL
oxfordpaul
Bongonaut

Post by oxfordpaul » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:07 pm

i lived in rance for 4 years with no hassle at all, Uk registered Grey import, tax + mot every year UK. insurance UK or groupama in france. depending on where you live [town or counrty, north or south] will have an effect on the local plods attitude to UK cars on thier patch.
Any fool can make things complicated, it takes real genius to make things simple
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:21 pm

jessie1 wrote:Thanks Scanner. As you can tell from my post I don't even know where to start with this one so your reply is very useful...so thank you. I don't want to have to register in France etc so you have cleared that one up! If I'm reading your reply correctly I can insure it here for the year and use it on the continent which is really good news.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Jessie
If you can find an insurer who gives 365day cover and insures Bongos.

From what I've heard (and seen) Spain is very lax on such technicalities, but I've been told France is well errr France.

And yes it is supposedly the only having one rear door on the "wrong side" they don't like and it's a pain getting the headlights converted.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:24 pm

newbie wrote:Hi this is all to do with the fact that the only rear side side door opens into the road (R H D) that is what I was told earlier. So the way round it is to get a left hand drive. Colin
Image is A LHD Tin top from the Phillipines.....BUT the side door is still on the "wrong" side.....you might get away with the Headlights though ....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
spikethorne
Junior Bongonaut

Post by spikethorne » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Jessie, see my post on Slovenia. It will help with insurance.
Just do it, its not difficult.

Return to “International”