When should my engine (scavenger?) fan come on?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Wedge

When should my engine (scavenger?) fan come on?

Post by Wedge » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:11 pm

I've just fitted a Mason Alarm, brilliant piece of kit. In doing so I've been driving up and down a mixture of roads to check it was working.

What I have noticed is that when I parked up, I could hear a single click coming from what appears to be the drivers side, and this has got me to thinking that the engine fan isn't coming on! The temp gauge is just below 1 o'clock.

The radiator fan comes on when I have the air-con on, is this normal? I lifted the passenger side seat up to see if the fan was moving, it wasn't.

Maybe the Bongo isn't hot enough for the fan to come on, maybe it is.

I'm at a loss :?

Any ideas?
nfn

Re: When should my engine (scavenger?) fan come on?

Post by nfn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:39 pm

The radiator fan should always be on when the a/c is switched on.

It can take a lot of driving to get the engine compartment hot enough for the scavenger fan to come on -- I've managed it (and noticed) only a few times in the summer in the UK in 30,000 miles of bongo ownership. You can test if it works without getting the engine compartment hot, but I'm not sure which wire you need to ground to test it -- try doing a search on this list.
lizard
Supreme Being

Post by lizard » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:33 am

I have never had mine working except for testing to see if the motor works.
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

F Zappa
renegade

Post by renegade » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi, you can test to see if your scavenger fan works by removing the centre consol, the grey panel arond the gear lever and disconnecting the thermo switch that controls the fan, it should start working shortly after. You will notice the warning light on the dash will flash, this will go out when you reconnect the switch. The switch/sensor is to the right of the hand brake lever. hope this helps.
splitpin
Bongolier

Post by splitpin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 pm

renegade wrote:Hi, you can test to see if your scavenger fan works by removing the centre consol, the grey panel arond the gear lever and disconnecting the thermo switch that controls the fan, it should start working shortly after. You will notice the warning light on the dash will flash, this will go out when you reconnect the switch. The switch/sensor is to the right of the hand brake lever. hope this helps
Does ignition need to be on for this test renegade?
Thanks
renegade

Post by renegade » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Splitpin, when i tested mine the ignition was on, but the fan can run when the engine bay is hot when the ignition is off, as the fan is, i think ECU controlled.
splitpin
Bongolier

Post by splitpin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:16 pm

renegade wrote:Hi Splitpin, when i tested mine the ignition was on, but the fan can run when the engine bay is hot when the ignition is off, as the fan is, i think ECU controlled.
Thanks renegade, will give it a go as have never heard either engine or radiator fans working on mine. Except when aircon is on then radiator fan switches off and on.
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps, excellent advice as usual :D

Will give this a go
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:46 pm

Well I disconnected the switch, got no warning light in the dash, and the fan didn't come on. I tried this with the ignition on, and then with the engine running.

Still no fan :(

I've checked the fuse in the bonnet area, and it looks like verdigris on the metal in the little 'window', could this be the problem?
renegade

Post by renegade » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Cleaning any electrical contact[s] is always a good start, if this does not resolve the prob, then its a case of following the wiring/wiring diagram from the fuse to the fan to see if there are any dodgy sections in the loom. Just out of interest, can you spin the fan manually ?.
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:52 pm

Got the fan to work by unplugging from the sensor and placing a thin piece of wire on the connector. This was done with the ignition on.

So, the fans work and I would assume the wiring is okay (bear with me, I'm no sparky!)

That leaves the sensor. How can I test the sensor? I did think of something silly like blowing a hairdryer near it to simulate a HOT engine. I've looked at Bingobits (everyone's calling 'em Bingo's now), and a new sensor is around fifty quid!
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Dandy had a go at this a while ago. 'Search' and you will find. :) SCAVENGER FAN SENSOR TEST
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Wedge wrote:Got the fan to work by unplugging from the sensor and placing a thin piece of wire on the connector. This was done with the ignition on.

So, the fans work and I would assume the wiring is okay (bear with me, I'm no sparky!)

That leaves the sensor. How can I test the sensor? I did think of something silly like blowing a hairdryer near it to simulate a HOT engine. I've looked at Bingobits (everyone's calling 'em Bingo's now), and a new sensor is around fifty quid!
Why not fit a new fused feed direct and a manual switch. Then you can choose when you want it on, plus save your dosh 8)
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:06 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Why not fit a new fused feed direct and a manual switch
What parts would I need Mike?

And more importantly, how easy would it be?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Wedge wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Why not fit a new fused feed direct and a manual switch
What parts would I need Mike?

And more importantly, how easy would it be?
I did a cheap job using switch. 15amp fuse holder and wire all of which was surplus from a spotlamp kit I bought. See this thread for details:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =scavenger

However, the switch can get a little hot and if doing it properly I'd use a relay and take the switching supply from an ignition 'live' feed so fan would only work when ignition/engine on. It's an easy job as long as you have a multimeter (just to check what is what) and a bit of sense. Disconnect battery while fitting, for safety. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”