Automatic air con

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Automatic air con

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:35 pm

pretty new to this so bear with me....
mode button on console does not operate the diverter cam between windscreen/cabin and footwell.
Does anyone have any ideas what or where I should look for answers?
Steve
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Automatic air con

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Drivers side footwell, check the linkages ,they have a habit of popping off or breaking

Welcome to the forum :D , click on "user control panel" top right & stick you location in so we know where you are :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:12 am

Welcome widdowson2008. Any probs, ask Kirsty - not much she doesn't know about Bongos! 8)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am

:oops: Plenty I don't know, I just waffle on here a lot :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:28 am

missfixit70 wrote::oops: Plenty I don't know, I just waffle on here a lot :lol:
Maybe not, but you always know where to find it =D>

"The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it."
Samuel Johnson
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:40 am

Ok spot the difference

widdowson2008's gubbins

My gubbins

Looks to me like some buggers pinched the actuator & rod, there's a spare connection & mounting holes in the right place :?
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:14 am

To mikeonb4c. Your'e right, Kirsty does seem to be sharp and on the ball.
By the way, loved your music (Mustang Sally). I thought there was only me left who liked that sort of stuff (or so my 3 sons keep telling me - 35, 33 and 28 years old-they are still but sprogs and don't know any better)

:P As for the aircon, many thanks for the help so far but I am now on a mission and still have a few queries:
1 Where can I buy the bits? Bongo shop is only 3 miles away-will Ian have them?
2 Are they difficult to fit?
3 Where does the actuator get its power from? Is it the stray connector on the right hand side of the picture?

Note to Kirsty
Take a look at the pictures - you appear to have a floating connector on your machine. If you look at mine, this connector neatly fits into a purpose built pocket out of the way of straying feet.

The trouble with owning a Bongo is that there is so much to learn. Thank god for the forum!!!! Its reassuring to be able to get help without having to say 'how much is that going to cost'. We were originally considering a Peugeot as a motorhome (my wife-hereinafter known as 'the magement recently retired from teaching and wanted to visit places in the UK) We saw the Bongo and bought it within 24 hours. Done a couple of trips so far and love it. The forum/BongoFury is the icing on the cake-best decision of my life.
Steve
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 pm

Ian could possibly source the actuator & rod via the partfinder service but it'll be expensive - especially if it's got to be imported at the mo :shock: Best bet is to try any of the bongo breakers listed on the site, Bellhill, Bongobits etc, it's not a common bit to go wrong as far as I know, so there should be plenty around :D Let the dealer that sold it to you source it & sort it :wink:
Thanks for the tip on the connector bracket - hadn't noticed that - too busy looking at what was missing on yours :wink: , probably got knocked out while I was wiring other bits in or taking the carpet out & in again when I dyed them.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:10 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:By the way, loved your music (Mustang Sally). I thought there was only me left who liked that sort of stuff (or so my 3 sons keep telling me - 35, 33 and 28 years old-they are still but sprogs and don't know any better)
I'm aware it's a 'done to death' song but I make no apologies as I've been a fan of the original Wilson Pickett version since it was first released c1965 and I went out and bought the Atlantic Records single as soon as I heard it. So many people try and sing it and it sounds cr*p, but Daymo is one of the few who can do it justice. He hated doing it (for the above reasons - he's 30 something) but I made him, and punters loved him doing it. For the rest, I thought it would be fun to do a blues intro and extro, with Steve Cropper choppy licks over the link sections. I think it works quite well though I'd have preferred some girlies on the backing vocals rather than me x 3.

Oh and there's more old fogeys like you and me on here than you might think. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(grabs coat and leaves room before the complaints start dropping through the letterbox) 8)
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:56 pm

Re spare bits. I literally spent the whole day today ringing round, sending emails, going to GK (Ford/Mazda) and the results were zero. I tried Ian who suggested several places - no luck. I am not too concerned (within reason) how much it costs-I just want it fixed. The dealer I bought the Bongo from told me to get it fixed, give him the bill and I will be reimbursed, no problems.
The most likely bet is to find someone who has recently been involved in a write-off situation but I would feel like a parasite so thats not going to happen.
Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way Mike, I don't think its done to death. Good music like that will be around when todays 30 year olds grandchildren are around. Daymo has the sort of voice to carry it - sounds like he has downed a bucket of gravel sand and swilled it down with ale - brilliant. Wish I could sing like that.
Steve
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Don't take much to make me happy but this did. Got the bits coming tomorrow.
Many thanks to Kirsty, Mike and Gerard, et al.

PS how do I flag this as being resolved (or do I need to?)
Steve
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:05 pm

You just have :wink: , hope the bits sort the problem :D
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:42 am

Got the bits today 8:55(from Bongobits)
Fitted & tested 9:15
Great joy - its nice when things work out isn't it
The feeling is similar to one I had 35 years ago when I crawled on my hands and knees over broken glass to sniff the exhaust fumes of the van that was carrying the girlfriends (now wife) knickers to the laundry (I didn't say I was totally sane)- try it before you knock it.
Thanks again for the help - great backup
Steve
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:03 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:The feeling is similar to one I had 35 years ago when I crawled on my hands and knees over broken glass to sniff the girlfriends (now wife) knickers
What fun you can have using the "quote" facility........ :lol:
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:07 pm

aint it just
My day just got better - cant cope with all this success in one day.
Along with the aircon problem, which is no longer a problem, I decided to ditch the old jap radio and fit the Pioneer from the Saab. However, I decided that a new unit was in order so I got an end of line Sony from Halfords-really good value at the moment if anyone is in the market for one. I fitted it and spent an hour cruising around around driving those in close proximity spare with the noise. The Bongo speakers are not bad at all, at least I'm happy. Of course the volume will need to be reduced when the management is on board.
I feel like a dog with 3 dubries.
This isnt some sort of mid/late life crisis I'm having - I have always loved toys from way back.
Good fortune can't last of course - someone will come along and p** on my parade
Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”