In-Dash Sat-Nav for a Bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Wedge

In-Dash Sat-Nav for a Bongo

Post by Wedge » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Now I've found a Bongo, I'm looking for a in-dash Sat-nav.

I've found this one, but haven't a clue whether It'll fit / work in a Bongo!!

http://www.raysmith.co.uk/ZE-NC510/

Looks rather nice.

If anyone has already managed to fit a similar unit, I'd appreciate any tips or info. I am looking for one which doesn't have an additional unit for the DVD nav disc(as is the case with our Disco 3's built in setup).

Cheers
dhz1971

Re: In-Dash Sat-Nav for a Bongo

Post by dhz1971 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:42 pm

I have this one it's the dog's danglys

http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2 ... 05225.html

and you can down load safety camera update for all of europe.

dhz1971
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Clarion MAX983HD - only £1199.99 inc VAT
:shock:
dhz1971

Post by dhz1971 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:08 pm

scanner wrote:
got mine fitted for £900, it is a lot but you do get a lot. :wink:

I always say if you can afford a little more it's worth getting the best. Buy cheap buy twice.

dhz1971
wes vinglun

Post by wes vinglun » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:13 pm

have seen this one in store but no idea if it is any good :roll:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165685
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:19 pm

dhz1971 wrote:
scanner wrote:
got mine fitted for £900, it is a lot but you do get a lot. :wink:

I always say if you can afford a little more it's worth getting the best. Buy cheap buy twice.

dhz1971
I don't doubt it, but I've been caught that way before wiv teknologee - I bought a smart mobile with TomTom installed.
Then went to update the maps after 2 years and TomTom didn't want to know - "We don't support that version any more - you'll have to buy a new one"

2 bl**dy years..........................................................:evil:

I'd want a written guarantee that it would be supported for more than a couple of years.
ex25er

Post by ex25er » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:13 pm

It's good to see that Jay Kay fella's found another income stream though. Now nobody buys his records any more!
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:02 pm

I'd rather buy a new map book each year and give lots of pressies to the navigator! :D :) :) :( :oops:
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
Magwa
Bongolier

Post by Magwa » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:53 pm

I did this on the VERY CHEAP

I put my Garmin street pilot III ( marine grade circa 2005 model) onto its mouting plate in the front cubby hole

a cheap remote aerial £7.50 from maplins wired behind the scenes up to the nice little central top of the dash.

I paid £50 s/h for the sat nav ( they were near £600 new) but are very dated now with push buttons! ( so what they work)

The bonus is it works on my motorcycle as well ( what they were designed for)
so well I bought another with the latest mapping and upgraded the maps on both.
They were good enough for Charlie & Ewan on the Long Way Round so good enough for me

One for the camper, one for the BMW 1150GSA motorcycle

As a discontinued sat nav I've found them as cheap as £49.99 NEW OLD STOCK on the interweb

Good luck

:wink:
Live long die oblong
Griffin
Bongolier

Post by Griffin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:23 am

I went cheaper than that, I used an old PDA with TomTom Navigator on it. Bought a GPS unit from ebay (well actually goit it from a mate who bought it on ebay). Fitted the XDA onto a piece of hardboard in the cubby area and away we go.
Like most things I have tinkered a bot more with it now but basically the same - works well and easily covered with a cover to hide it away.

Bongo has changed since these pics, Ipod is no longer inthe ashtray, it's behind the satnav as I changed the head unit for one that accepts Ipod input and allows control.

Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:39 am

My concern about in-dash sat-navs is that they are too far to the left for me; I have our portable one straight in front of me so that I do not have to take my eyes off the road.
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:22 am

Griffin wrote:I went cheaper than that, I used an old PDA with TomTom Navigator on it. Bought a GPS unit from ebay (well actually goit it from a mate who bought it on ebay). Fitted the XDA onto a piece of hardboard in the cubby area and away we go.
Like most things I have tinkered a bot more with it now but basically the same - works well and easily covered with a cover to hide it away.

Bongo has changed since these pics, Ipod is no longer inthe ashtray, it's behind the satnav as I changed the head unit for one that accepts Ipod input and allows control.

Now there is an idea. I have just reverted back to my old MDA Vario II because my MDA Touch is a pain in the you know what but if I can find my old tomtom disk that I used to use and dig out my gps which I think is in the cubby in theway - bongo any
way - hey presto.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:52 pm

For a cheaper alternative Aldi are doing a Sat Nav for £124 from Thursday. It includes Western Europe and has free updates for life.

Better than my Road Angel. £50 a year for updates. Not in stock yet at my local Aldi because I tried to get one today.

Cheers

Mary
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion

Return to “Techie Stuff”