NZ - Well we got one after all.

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

ziggi
Junior Bongonaut

NZ - Well we got one after all.

Post by ziggi » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:30 pm

As it says, we got after all over here in NZ, cracking little Black number; runs 'sweet as' as the Kiwi's would say. Full tint windows so keeps the 'noisy eyes' off of our gear inside, 4x4 for the gravel roads and fully alarmed (just in case?).

Had a few stares from people when they see it on the gravel roads over here, had a few people already showing an intrest in buying it when we head back home in Feb' 08; one gent even wants to fly from Christchurch to Auckland and drive it home (believe that when I see it)

If anyone is heading out to NZ in Feb' 08 and wants a Mazda Bongoto travel in, e-mail me and we'll talk. It's strange ho they haven't caught on over here, it's perfect for touring around NZ. Small enough to park, big enough to hold all the gear and Bluebridge ferry class it as a car so cheap to get from Island - Island.

Great choice.

Ziggi
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:35 pm

Or find somebody to look after it for you and hire it out.

We want to visit OZ and NZ sometime and would want a Bongo or similar.

Thinking along the lines of seeing if we can find someone who wants a swap for a couple of months or so.
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:58 pm

I'll be in NZ for the whole of Feb and March... :D :D

We've already got a hire car organised though. We'll be hiking the trails for a lot of the time so the car will be parked at the trail heads for several days at a time. I'm not bothered if the hire car gets broken into but I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else's Bongo..!
Timnz
Bongolier

Post by Timnz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:00 am

I'm suprised they never caught on too, I guess the old Bongos had a bad rep. There is a multitude o vans to choose from, but very few with the pop top option that really makes it feel spacious.

But interestingly, as of December 07, there will be no more Bongos coming into the country, as the import rules are changing to not allow vehicles over 4 years old in from Japan, effectively making my Bongo a instant rarity!
Every time I am down at the beach, I always get people commenting on what a great little camper it is! I have even had some ask if I wanted to sell it to them ..
Many more years of camping fun to be had in mine though, and just done all the maintenance on it, new shocks, and just about to get it lowered a fraction to make it handle a bit better, and make it easier to load boards on the roof.

I get the feeling these will become a bit of a classic like the old combi van... it's pretty cool to own a classic before it's knackered, worn out and had several poor owners !
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 pm

Timnz wrote:I get the feeling these will become a bit of a classic like the old combi van... it's pretty cool to own a classic before it's knackered, worn out and had several poor owners !
Spot on Tim- I've been banging on about this for ages. We need that sticker

"Tomorrows legend......today" 8)
ziggi
Junior Bongonaut

That's nice to know

Post by ziggi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:52 am

As it say's, that's nice to know about the import ruling. We've already got 3 people that want to buy the thing before we leave in March, but to be honest if we could find a storage lot for 'her' we would love to hang onto her until we come back next year. We've seen 1 for sale very close to ours and they wanted $8995 so they seem to be gaining value already.

She's having a service on the 3rd Jan' just to keep her running 'sweet as'

Ziggi
Timnz
Bongolier

Post by Timnz » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:05 pm

I would say $9000 is bottom dollar for a Bongo AFT. Dealers are selling them between 9000-13000, and with various mileages, up to 160,000km..
I have seen one private one for $6000 with 17" alloys, and no conversion inside, but 150k on the clock. I think they'll hold their value, relative to other campervans, its hard to find a modern non-hiace camper van under $10,000. Hi-Aces have more space though..
I have had an offer off the street from someone wanting to buy mine too!

I'm taking care of mine, just got one of the "engine-saver" coolant alarm kits from enginesaver.com.au (Haydens one) , tax free, and it works a treat. The pipes will leak one day! , this kit would also work fine on most other high risk diesel vans with a overflow coolant tank...
ziggi
Junior Bongonaut

Really loathed to sell 'her'

Post by ziggi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:26 am

As it says, we really don't want to sell 'her' :evil: The 'old girl' is just great for our needs and we are planning on coming back in Dec' for another tour of NZ from Auckland down to Wanaka for the start of the Snow season, just can't get enough of this place.

Would anyone know if there is a long term storage of some kind that we could put her into for 6 - 8 months? Would prefer around Auckland as that's where we fly out of and we would like to come into Auckland later as said above.
Any thoughts at all on how we can keep her? :lol:
:lol:
Ziggi
helen&tony
Supreme Being

international

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi
Furniture storage companies may sometimes have garages on their site for people who are out of the ountry for a while....they are usually very secure....have you tried that avenue? The cost will be offset by having to pay a higher price for another Bongo when you return , if you sold yours.
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
ziggi
Junior Bongonaut

Too good to be true?

Post by ziggi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:12 am

Well, we may have just had a very lucky thing happen. I decided to seek advice about longterm storage of our Bongo as we had taken the advice and contacted some general storage companies. Who better to ask than the garage (Mike Deane Motors @ Katikati) that serviced it for us a few weeks ago I thought, talking over the why's and when's of our plan to return to NZ he just said "No problem, I'll store it for you"
Now here's the Q'?
I have no worries that this gent is honest, it's an AA listed garage, I have no worries about leaving our van with him; BUT legally in NZ is there a reason not to leave our Bongo with him? Does anyone know of any 'silly' law here?
The deal is, he can use it for his own use if he want's to go camping etc' up until the WOF and Tax run out; anything after that he will pay for himself (he has stated that he doubts if he'll use it but thanks us for the offer) He then gets the WOF and Service work when we return to NZ in Dec', I know he could 'recoop' some $ when he does the work for our return; but he's given us a qoute for the service work anyway and he's amitted it's in good shape for the WOF (even want's first refusal if we sell)
Any thing that say's 'don't do it' to you?

Thoughts please if any.

Cheers

Ziggi
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Tricky to advise from UK, but what what does the insurance company say. Because if anything does happen (he uses it and has an accident), you'll be relying on them to come good. If it were me (and if he doesn't take offence) I'd rather pay a modest storage fee and have it not used (except for a monthly startup and quick drive to engine normal temp to keep the engine happy if he is wiling to do that). However it may be difficult to do that now (although you could use the insurance company as a reason for an apparent change of mind, if they are not keen for non owners to be driving it while owner away).

Don't know if the above helps :roll:

Good luck 8)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Wouldn't he have business insurance to cover it if he drove it? Businesses usually have insurance so that they can do a test drive after service/repair.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
pippin

Post by pippin » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:51 pm

"Gut feeling" usually works best in these instances.
Timnz
Bongolier

Post by Timnz » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Anyone in NZ after the replacement silicone coolant pipe kit?? WIll be getting some shipped over....
flippa

Post by flippa » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:04 pm

the hoses are on there way to you tim :wink:

Return to “International”