Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:13 am

Aw thanks Scanner, nice of you to offer, still looking. Happy motoring
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:33 am

scanner wrote:The hardest bit was reaching and removing the cap over the vacuum take off stub on the pipe at the front of the engine - I'm surprised nobody started a thread complaining about the bad language.
In the end I had to use a Stanley knife to cut it off and that took at least 6 attempts working totally blind.

But the end result is absolutely and totally worth it, I cannot think of any better improvement to a Bongo for £85.
I found that the stub holding the rubber cap has a ring about 5mm from the tip which stops the cap sliding off. If you use pliers to pull the tip of the rubber, it should come off relatively easily. If your eyes are watering or you have crossed your legs, you have a dirty mind! :)
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:43 am

Tried that and got the scars to prove it.

In the end circumcision with a Stanley knife was the only way.
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:21 am

scanner wrote:In the end circumcision with a Stanley knife was the only way.
:shock: Legs crossed! :shock:
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:45 am

It was a new blade!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:27 pm

Scanner - how did you discover it was a fake?
smartmonkey

Post by smartmonkey » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:20 pm

It wasn't a fake and there have never been any fakes. It was just sour grapes because a supplier is losing buisness by being undercut. All the 99 euro ones are genuine Waeco's and very high quality little kits they are to.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:23 pm

Ah ok: I mis-understood the comment. I paid just over £100 with the postage, which I think was a fair price for such a useful bit of kit.
smartmonkey

Post by smartmonkey » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:52 pm

A hundred squids is a superb bargain for the kit you get. I cant imagine a better mod you could do for the money. I have just ordered another kit to put on the shelf.
smartmonkey

Post by smartmonkey » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:18 pm

I think Torchwoods device is superb and if I had the faintest idea how to make one I would give it a go. The only thing that might worry some (not me) is that an insurance company (or loss adjustor) wouldn't like it. His is certainly the best for economy as well. I used to use a cold start knob in exactley the same way and it worked well.

I use my cruise in every 20/30/40/50 speed limit I drive through and it must have saved me a ticket by now. I can spend more time looking ahead and forget the speedo. It is a Godsend in temporary roadwork zones.

If you pick your speed to be 1 mph under the average you can use cruise on quite buisy roads and get places in more or less the same time. I find the Bongo a bit cramped for me and the chance to wiggle my right foot around is the difference between being comfortable or uncomfortable, for that alone it is worth it. I probably spend a good 50% of my driving time cruised up. If you spend your life worrying about leaving a space in front that someone can sneak into then you might only use it 20%.

I also find it more relaxing to let people bungee forwards and backwards whilst I drift along in the middle. You need to drive differently to get the most out of it but I think it's worth it. If you just use it for town limits and wiggling your toes it's still worth it.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:11 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Scanner - how did you discover it was a fake?
As pointed out, no sign of it being "fake" at all, as company is part of carand camp.de and C&C catalogues were included in the box.

Strangely the price for an MS50 on carandcamp.de when I looked today is 349€
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:19 am

After a lot and I mean A LOT of searching for somebody else I've found that the 99€ Cruise Controls are still available from Nimarks in Germany.

They aren't called MS-50 any more though.
Click for Link
Fredanz
Bongonaut

Post by Fredanz » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:28 am

scanner wrote:After a lot and I mean A LOT of searching for somebody else I've found that the 99€ Cruise Controls are still available from Nimarks in Germany.

They aren't called MS-50 any more though.
Click for Link
Yes, they are the original folk who had them at 99 euro, and say they have plenty. They still called them the MS-50 when I contacted them last week. Nimarks at Nimarks.de works if you need to ask them to start a new auction.
Fredanz
Bongonaut

Almost there...

Post by Fredanz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:04 am

scanner wrote:Finally finished it today and got it working properly after snipping the black loop that alters the sensitivity of the speed sensor.
Finished fitting mine today - very much helped by Simon's docs and many useful comments here.

At present, it tests out 100% statically, but is not kicking in when I try to use it on the move (tested up to 40mph so far, no time for open road tests yet).

I have sensitivity M and have not yet cut the black wire. Did others find it didn't kick in properly until that wire was cut?

Otherwise, I'm wondering if I got the right speed sensor wire - blue/white from the loom going to the central connector behind the instrument panel.

Pretty sure I didn't get that wrong but, because our speedos are not chipped (we have lots of kilothingymebobs over here and hardly any miles), I thought I'd better double check before cutting something!

You folks are all just amazing, by the way...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:03 am

You HAVE to cut the black wire or the pulses are wrong for the sensor and it won't lock on.

I have the sensitivity set to low and find it takes up wonderfully smoothly don't use H or it will snap your neck.
If you want a quicker take up use M but even that can trigger kick down if you resume from a low speed and that rather negates the fuel saving ethos of fitting it.

Return to “Techie Stuff”