Cruise control

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:52 pm

I have been out collecting quotes for fitting the waeco ms 50 in me bongo and they have varied from 100 to 150 quid, is this about right or am I just being tight in thinking it a bit steep. Happy motoring.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:08 pm

They'll probably charge you a bit more because you purchased the kit yourself and the only profit they'll make is on labour.

Much the same as folks who scour the country for the best possible deal on tyres and take them to a garage get overcharged to fit and balance them...............
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
GrahamP

Post by GrahamP » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:37 am

David Edwards wrote:I have been out collecting quotes for fitting the waeco ms 50 in me bongo and they have varied from 100 to 150 quid, is this about right or am I just being tight in thinking it a bit steep. Happy motoring.

I've been quoted 2-3hrs at £50/hr +vat
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:36 am

David Edwards wrote:I have been out collecting quotes for fitting the waeco ms 50 in me bongo and they have varied from 100 to 150 quid, is this about right or am I just being tight in thinking it a bit steep. Happy motoring.
It really depends on how long they think it will take to fit - the Waeco's website suggests that it will take 4-5 hours. I'm no expert but I really think I can do it again in 2 hrs, knowing what I know now. The guy that checked mine stated that it would cost around £70 for 2 hours - but might be more if it was not straight forward and took longer. If they haven't fitted CC on a bongo before, it would be difficult to appreciate how straight forward it is - especially when combined with the photo instructions provided by other members of the forum (I could not have fitted mine without them). If they are charging £100-£150 for 2 hours, it reminds me that I am in the wrong job!
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Matt&JoyBongling wrote:The speed is taken from the feed to the speedometer - no need to do the hub.
Mine has now arrived and I'm halfway through fitting it.
I don't want to use the magnet speed sensor so could someone explain exactly which wire to connect to to do it this way?

thanks
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:34 am

Blue/white wire at the rear of the instrument panel. Drop me a pm with your email address & I'll send you a Word doc I created when I installed mine
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:54 pm

Just got the info from Simon, amazing how it is made to seem so simple and great piccies too,another case of absolutely priceless info given free to others, with extreme gratitude, thanks Simon.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:10 pm

Finally finished it today and got it working properly after snipping the black loop that alters the sensitivity of the speed sensor.

The hardest bit was reaching and removing the cap over the vacuum take off stub on the pipe at the front of the engine - I'm surprised nobody started a thread complaining about the bad language.
In the end I had to use a Stanley knife to cut it off and that took at least 6 attempts working totally blind.

But the end result is absolutely and totally worth it, I cannot think of any better improvement to a Bongo for £85.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:40 pm

Well done scanner! I found I was able to cut a slit in the side of the rubber cap, then used some very long nosed pliers to wiggle it off. definitely one of the most useful mods in my opinion.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:21 pm

wish I was technically minded like you guys, then I could have a go, unfortunately all I can do being a valleys boy is fight unfortunately. I am still looking for someone to fit mine, so for now the search goes on.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:17 pm

David Edwards wrote:wish I was technically minded like you guys, then I could have a go, unfortunately all I can do being a valleys boy is fight unfortunately. I am still looking for someone to fit mine, so for now the search goes on.
Wimp, apart from the b****** f****** nasty rotten PITA vacuum stub thingy that is some Japanese engineers idea of revenge for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it's easy - I did it!
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:06 pm

would love to have a go but I dont think I could manage the small fiddly wires and bending and twisting, my arthritis will not let me but.. never know I might have a go after all the worst I could do would be to bugger the car up and they are easily replace I suppose lol.
Fredanz
Bongonaut

Post by Fredanz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:58 am

keefysher wrote:Interestingly, when you look at OEM fitted cruise controls, they were generally (on US vehicles) stalks on the steering column.
Yeah, my old Toyota had it on a stalk and man it was convenient, especially when making minor up/down adjustments in city traffic, to go with the flow.

Haven't fitted mine yet* but will definitely be looking hard at convenience-to-hand when I do.

* very bad delivery delays from the supplier I chose, grrrr - AND I got a speeding ticket last week that I would have dodged with the CC!
Fredanz
Bongonaut

Post by Fredanz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:35 am

David Edwards wrote:Now I dont know if she was yanking my chain so to speak but she replied that the ones sold for 99 euros are not genuine waeco but inferior units as she canot buy them from waeco that cheap. She offered me a unit at £99.00 plus £12.00 postage, which is what waeco sell em for anyway. Seller was whr online.
That was the outfit I bought mine off when I didn't spot the 99 euro one in time.

Easy to deal with, but three months later my unit hasn't arrived in NZ (the said that DHL "lost" it the first time -- haven't yet explained why it's failed to get here the second time, and are slow to respond to emails about the delay. Sigh).
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:56 am

I bought from the link in my first post and had more trouble with the courier finding where we live (well off and not visible from the road) than anything else (apart from the rassen frassen vacuum stub!!!!!!).

Paid the 99€ +P&P price and if the "Waeco" I received is a fake it's the best one I've ever seen and well worth the money regardless.
The seller is the company that also run http://www.carandcamp.de who are major stockists of Waeco fridges (at much lower prices than anybody in the UK) and it appears P&P is the same 18.50€ as for the Cruise Controls. So why should they sell genuine Waeco fridges and "fake" Waeco Cruise Controls.

And DE if you were closer I'd offer to fit one for you it is easy.

On another point I'm just finalising my insurance with Lifesure (is my Bongo a Camper or MPV?) as it has an OTC removable kitchen unit, so we can use it as either but want the kitchen covered by the insurance. I disclosed the fitting of Cruise Control this morning and Ryan "went off to check" he returned and said that Lifesure were quite happy to note that Cruise had been fitted on my file and did not require documentation.
For my records all I have done is made a note of the conversation (date, time, person etc.) and appended it to my insurance documents.
All calls to Lifesure are recorded, according to their recorded greeting when you phone them, so hopefully all should be well.

Return to “Techie Stuff”