Rear axle oil leak

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

soundasapound

Rear axle oil leak

Post by soundasapound » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:25 pm

I recently had a oil leak on the rear axle,so i took it to a Bongo friendly garage and had a new seal fitted,after a few days i checked to see if leak had stopped but found it was leaking more than before. I took it back and the garage said that the wheel bearing needs replacing even though there is no noise from the axle.
Is it possible for the axle to leak oil if the bearing is worn?
Any advice appreciated.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:35 am

Welcome to the madhouse.
I can't say I've ever heard that one before, but I haven't had a car with a back axle for over 30 years (apart from the Bongo). I would have thought that the bearing has no effect on oil leaks, unless it is so badly worn that the half-axle moves so much that it distorts the seal. If that was the case, I would expect there to be a lot of noise, and you would be able to feel the play by trying to lift the wheel.
Hopefully, somebody will be able to come up with a definite answer.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:58 pm

There are 2 axle oil seals. The outer is a dust seal and the seperate inner one is the oil seal proper. Are you certain that they replaced both :?:
All Black 1997 Ford Freda 2.5 diesel
soundasapound

Update- Rear axle oil leak

Post by soundasapound » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:48 pm

After having the oil leak repaired by a "Bongo Freindly Garage" and then a few days later to find the axle leaking more than it was initially,I returned to the garage and was told that the wheel bearing needed replacing.I thought this was unlikely and asked a few other garages who thought the same as me,so i purchased replacement seals and had a different garage to try again,they said the seal the BFG had fitted was broken and they could see scewdriver marks around the seal housing whereas they had a special tool to push the seal home evenly.
Its been 3 weeks now since new seal fitted and no sign of any oil,needless to say i wont be going back to the "BFG" for any work on my Bongo.
I feel better now i got that off my chest but my wallet is still sulking . :) :)
roosteruk

Post by roosteruk » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:24 am

Have you let the first garage know?
I would name and shame, it will stop other Bongo owners from wasting money!

Return to “Techie Stuff”