Gennies?

This year's bash will once again be at Stourport-on-Severn and will run from Wednesday 22nd June to Sunday 27th.

Moderator: Ian

bangorlad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Gennies?

Post by bangorlad » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:57 pm

What's the attitude to running generators at the Bash? Bongo owner of 2 months vintage and just about worked out the electrics and the genny would be nice now and then to keep the LB tip-top and the beer cold. It's a new Honda briefcase petrol model and purrs like a kitten; and I'd like to think we're thoughtful users.

Looking forward to our first meet, lots to see and learn and people to meet...

Stewart & Chrissy (Bangor, North Wales)
bangorlad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Gennies?

Post by bangorlad » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:38 pm

OK, just read my welcome pack which answers my question - 'No Generators'. No worries, we can survive without for a couple of nights and maybe I'll get to see some nice solar panel setups....;-)

Stewart
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:08 pm

Site rule.

The trouble with generators is one person's "Purr like a kitten" is someone else's "Hell on Earth". :?
boyfrombrasil
Bongolier

Post by boyfrombrasil » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:22 pm

I've always thought...

Why run a generator when you've got a built in one under your bonnet?

Except in the case of a Bongo, I should have said "under the gear lever"! :roll:

Seriously though. You have an engine capable of charging both the vehicle battery and any leisure batteries at quite a fast rate. It can also service a very large (directly connected) invertor if you need mains power at high ampage for a short while. And all of this without shelling out an extra few hundred for the generator.

And while letting the vehicle tick over on a campsite no-one will accuse you of using a generator!

If you need to work out your power needs come and find me (under a rainbow flag in a motorome) and I will explain the power calculations for you (while having a cider or 6). :)

Bob wrote:The trouble with generators is one person's "Purr like a kitten" is someone else's "Hell on Earth". :?
With reference to above, who's going to accuse a Bongo engine of being someone else's "Hell on Earth" at Stourport? :)
Bongo-ing. The beginning of life as Susie and I now know it...
bangorlad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bangorlad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Good point Boyfrombrasil. The main reason I have a generator is I play amateur radio and go out mobile contesting in the Bongo - essential for that although I'm not doing it on a campsite. Ticking the 2.5 diesel genny over now and then will do trick, and faster, though it'll be noisier and smellier than a Honda EU10i inverter....

Hoping I can fly my kite though....

Looking forward to meeting y'all at the weekend, sure it'll knock the socks off Glasto.

Stew
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:48 am

bangorlad wrote:Looking forward to meeting y'all at the weekend, sure it'll knock the socks off Glasto.

Stew
Incomparably better, especially regarding the traffic queue to get in, according to this mornings news. Glastonbury was once as Lickhill Manor is now, the VW was once what the Bongo is now, but that was long ago, when i was once what i am not now :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :(

Return to “Bongo Bash 2016”