newforest

To celebrate 10 years since the formation of the Bongo Fury owners club, Sunday 24th February 2013 has been designated as National Bongo Day. What we have in mind is a series of events in various locations across the UK & Ireland where Bongonauts can get to meet each other and perhaps have a Sunday lunch.

Moderator: Ian

New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Re: newforest

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 pm

I am planning to stay overnight. Someone did mention a barrel of beer and I am absolutely sick of J2O.

Unless it snows,then I will be stuck at home as my my 2wd drive does not do icy hills, like the one I live on. Only twice in five years though. This is the South and on a good year you can be starting your tan by the end of February [-o< .

Everyone will be focusing on Christmas at present. More Bah Humbug apart from parties and the ice rink. Organizing will get going afterwards and I am sure between us we can get this going. I just suggested Calshot as it is open all year round and some people might want to make a weekend of it. The forest is beautiful in winter/early spring, unless you are American expecting a vast wild wood. In the Summer you can hardly move for grockels, otherwise called emmets further west.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Chris&Gem
Bongolier

Post by Chris&Gem » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm

will a caravan fit in :wink:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Chris&Gem wrote:will a caravan fit in :wink:

In Hampshire? I would guess so. :lol:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Bob wrote:
Chris&Gem wrote:will a caravan fit in :wink:

In Hampshire? I would guess so. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
alistair rose
Junior Bongonaut

Post by alistair rose » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Hello South Section members,having just got a Bongo & having done a lot of camping.A field with no hook up in Feb does not excite me.I will be going to Cornwall for Valentines whatever the weather as hookup available.Chilly cheers.Ali Bongo.
Bongo - go - go.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:29 am

There is a village hall involved as well. With heating. Plus someone is bound to have a fire pit.

The winter meet in January this year on Studland was a brilliant sunny day. Stopped off for a meal on the way back at the Jazz Cafe in Sandbanks and ate outside along with a lot of others. Warm coat rather than shorts but still very pleasant.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
hammy67
Bongonaut

Post by hammy67 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

yes still on plenty of room for caravans as well
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Still in my diary. I've got a firepit I can bring, although I don't know how warm it will be to sit out!

Still planning overnight too, otherwise, it's a lot of diesel for a day trip! And I can't have a beer!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 pm

Have you got any more info on the location or a link on Google maps please? What sort of time are people thinking of arriving?
hammy67
Bongonaut

Post by hammy67 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:50 am

the scouts are asking £5 per unit per night as a donation and are asking if we wish to use it the hire of the hall is £50
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:50 pm

There has been discusion about this on facebok. One of the most recent suggestions is to meet for a meal at a forest pub or the Lepe country park cafe.

My suggestion was the Royal Oak, just outside Beaulieu. This has good food and is child and dog friendly. There is good food and a large car park. Plus it is surrounded by open forest for those who just want to sit around their van or cook for themselves. This would make it easy for people to just turn up on the day.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:31 am

New Forest Terrier wrote:There has been discusion about this on facebok. One of the most recent suggestions is to meet for a meal at a forest pub or the Lepe country park cafe.

My suggestion was the Royal Oak, just outside Beaulieu. This has good food and is child and dog friendly. There is good food and a large car park. Plus it is surrounded by open forest for those who just want to sit around their van or cook for themselves. This would make it easy for people to just turn up on the day.
Now if there were camping available at the pub - that would suit everyone! Or if there is a campsite nearby.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:19 pm

No camping at the pub unfortunately. There are quite a few sites around that are open all year. Problem I am too near to stay overnignt in this area, so cannot recommend anywhere.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:23 am

All round to yours then, Mary. :lol:
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:09 am

Right, we now have a choice of solutions. The pub lunch looks attractive, specially in February. Camping is available at the scout hut or a choice of several sites around the area. The answer to this depends on how many want to camp.

We could go back to the original idea of the scout hut, but with several wanting to turn up for lunch and no definite numbers for the scout hut, arranging a pub and checking with the landlord seems a good practical idea. Even if only two or three turn up the pub will work as a venue.

The only pub with camping I can think of is the Red Shoot but this is expensive for the facilities available and I am not sure the campsite will be open in February.

There is a recommended campsite with hookups near Lymington that will be open and would be an ideal venue for a Saturday overnight. Bookings there would be individual.

Comments please.

Return to “National Bongo Day Sunday 24/02/13”