Header Tanks

This section is for when either the club or individuals are buying en-masse for the benefit of the Bongo community at large. Read the rules first!

Moderators: g8dhe, umbongocat

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Header Tanks

Post by mikexgough » Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 am

westonwarrior wrote:there is allways more to a markup than meets the eye.

Overheads have to be covered staff, premises, rates, yes marketing, and a profit from the bussiness.
buying direct from the manufacturer will allways be cheapest as every link in the chain has costs to cover and a living to make.

so at each step the seller will make as much profit as they can get away with

Thats the capitalist system

Yep, I am afraid I agree but in this instance.....as a Group Buy scenario.....any Buyer would be buying "direct" or as near as dammit...so any mark up would not exist or possibly be nominal from the supplier.
I'd take a look myself into this but I am diary committed until late October, and I agree £60 for a tank could net a number of owners interested in purchasing.....if the tank could be obtained at that cost
The JAS price is also not an unreasonable one either but in a Group Buy set up to me mark up is a no no unless the agreed to profits are being invested in a future Group Buy.
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 25, 2011 12:39 pm

mikexgough wrote:
westonwarrior wrote:there is allways more to a markup than meets the eye.

Overheads have to be covered staff, premises, rates, yes marketing, and a profit from the bussiness.
buying direct from the manufacturer will allways be cheapest as every link in the chain has costs to cover and a living to make.

so at each step the seller will make as much profit as they can get away with

Thats the capitalist system

Yep, I am afraid I agree but in this instance.....as a Group Buy scenario.....any Buyer would be buying "direct" or as near as dammit...so any mark up would not exist or possibly be nominal from the supplier.
I'd take a look myself into this but I am diary committed until late October, and I agree £60 for a tank could net a number of owners interested in purchasing.....if the tank could be obtained at that cost
The JAS price is also not an unreasonable one either but in a Group Buy set up to me mark up is a no no unless the agreed to profits are being invested in a future Group Buy.
For that to work though, group members must commit their £s in advance. It's no good expecting the procurer to take all the risk, and receive no profit (and they are certainly entitled to some, for their efforts), unless they are assured that what they order already has a paid-up customer.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Wed May 25, 2011 1:26 pm

I would think that a good sized deposit would be fine. Say 50%.And it would have to be a well known contributer to the forum.
Re :'entitled to a profit on a group buy ? ' Why ? No , I do not think so .This would miss the point of a group buy. The organiser should not be out of pocket in any way though!
Any efforts I have made to help others on this forum and in other situations has been free despite the many hassles.
So ,where do I send my £30 of hard earned dosh ? :)
Last edited by vanvliet on Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
For that to work though, group members must commit their £s in advance. It's no good expecting the procurer to take all the risk, and receive no profit (and they are certainly entitled to some, for their efforts), unless they are assured that what they order already has a paid-up customer.
Which is what this section was set up for......not for profits to be made and any risks to be eliminated......lets say 20 people want a £60 tank.... can anyone really afford to stand £1200 upfront?....... chancing that they might not be able to return that money back to their account within a week or so...... which is probably why there has been a reluctance in anyone coming forward to investigate header tanks so far.
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi
Money up front's fair enough...people change their minds!...i'll have a tank...if it's before the cold season here...October / November is the last I want to fiddle with cooling systems. i then get a month or so running before laying the Bongo up for a month or so, and using a Taxi
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

I was commenting on general companies not this section which is a great idea and will work for the benifit of all by 1 or 2 great people willing to do the research.
if by sorcing products either in bulk or directly they can be got cheaper it must be a good thing.
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 am

All the points mentioned here by forum members are what I said in the initial thread to start with, for 1 person to take the reigns and go ahead using his own £, then he will want to make a profit, for it to be a bulk buy for forum users someone will have to get all the costs together ... how may people want one, then work out the manufacture, import costs, vat cost, delivery to door costs, get everyones money in who ordered one and go ahead and make the bulk buy.(this IMO is what a forum bulk buy is) Then if the person that organised it all wanted to make some money out of it he could order 50 or so extra units and add some extra £ on top for profit as there will always be a few people who will buy one anyhow who dont come on the forum but will buy from ebay ect this in turn will offset the cost of him having a big chunk of his own money tied up in 100 or so units.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 26, 2011 12:03 pm

waycar8 wrote:All the points mentioned here by forum members are what I said in the initial thread to start with, for 1 person to take the reigns and go ahead using his own £, then he will want to make a profit, for it to be a bulk buy for forum users someone will have to get all the costs together ... how may people want one, then work out the manufacture, import costs, vat cost, delivery to door costs, get everyones money in who ordered one and go ahead and make the bulk buy.(this IMO is what a forum bulk buy is) Then if the person that organised it all wanted to make some money out of it he could order 50 or so extra units and add some extra £ on top for profit as there will always be a few people who will buy one anyhow who dont come on the forum but will buy from ebay ect this in turn will offset the cost of him having a big chunk of his own money tied up in 100 or so units.
spot on I reckon :wink:

It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea to be in the driving seat mind you, esp. if anything went wrong with the order 8)
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:44 am

Well thats one of many pit falls that could scupper the whole thing and cause alot of aggro for the "organizer" thats why I dont think the group buys would work if buying out of the uk in other "cheaper" markets too many things could go wrong.

Ive bought loads of stuff from Japan and China and havent had a thing go wrong but these were odd items. But a mate had done the same and bought the odd item and had them seized untill he proved they were a gift and still got stung with import duty so for they saving he should have been saving by purchasing abroad he ended up paying it to the customs ect.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 am

My quote above includes all delivery/import/VAT charges......

I import in bulk from the far east and have had nothing but good quick and polite service.....unlike many deals within the u.k.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:57 am

haydn callow wrote:My quote above includes all delivery/import/VAT charges......

I import in bulk from the far east and have had nothing but good quick and polite service.....unlike many deals within the u.k.
If you're saying you've got it lined up for genuine mazda header tanks at £60 - I'm in :D
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat May 28, 2011 9:22 am

I belive they could be made available within the U.K. for around that price or perhaps less...However I will not be taking it on.......
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:35 am

Hi
Is anyone still interested in doing the header tanks...Mazda originals...I'm still interested...
It's interesting to note that some foreign companies have given Haydn exemplary service....I would say the same about American companies I've dealt with
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
yorkee
Junior Bongonaut

Post by yorkee » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi all,

I removed mine while overhauling the cooling system and used cooling system flushing chemical with rice to provide abrasive action. After blocking up the two holes with suitable sized drill bits wrapped in electrical tape ( or any other suitable method) I added the chemical and the rice and let it soak while shaking occasionally. I also tried bleach with rice and ketttle descaler with rice...the result is a pristine header tank. All three worked and removed a red coating the covered the inside of the header tank. hope this helps. :)
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 pm

yorkee wrote:Hi all,

I removed mine while overhauling the cooling system and used cooling system flushing chemical with rice to provide abrasive action. After blocking up the two holes with suitable sized drill bits wrapped in electrical tape ( or any other suitable method) I added the chemical and the rice and let it soak while shaking occasionally. I also tried bleach with rice and ketttle descaler with rice...the result is a pristine header tank. All three worked and removed a red coating the covered the inside of the header tank. hope this helps. :)
Got before and after piccies??
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.

Return to “Group Buys”