Header Tanks

This section is for when either the club or individuals are buying en-masse for the benefit of the Bongo community at large. Read the rules first!

Moderators: g8dhe, umbongocat

MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Header Tanks

Post by MountainGoat » Thu May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

I wonder if member bj4 in Osaka Japan is still sourcing Bongos? Not heard from him for a while. As our man on the spot he could find out for us about the availability at source so that we could work out how much one would cost to buy about 20 to 25 header tanks, ship them over here and pay duty on arrival. Then there is the postage cost unless they can be collected or a Bongo Relay arranged. Has anyone ever had any dealings with Bj4?

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu May 19, 2011 2:14 pm

What this needs is for some "kind" soul to take it on......do some research, get prices etc ...then come back to the forum with some facts....

It can be done....has been many times.

The LCA is one prime example.....The research/development was done....20 members came forward with the cash for a "cost price" buy...the rest is history
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 19, 2011 2:30 pm

haydn callow wrote:What this needs is for some "kind" soul to take it on......do some research, get prices etc ...then come back to the forum with some facts....

It can be done....has been many times.

The LCA is one prime example.....The research/development was done....20 members came forward with the cash for a "cost price" buy...the rest is history
I wouldn't put header tanks in the same league as LCAs though. The latter was conspicuously needed on (all) Bongos, the former much less so, and is needed even less until/unless an LCA advises you of the need for one. I feel like BDC - it might be a lot of effort and upfront dosh getting a batch in, with uncertain rewards for the outlay UNLESS the scare-factor is wheeled out to promote demand - and I think that would not be appropriate in this case. And many might respond to that anyway by just fitting an LCA and waiting for their header tank to expire. :roll:
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu May 19, 2011 2:41 pm

What if tanks could be sourced/delivered for £60 ??
Also BMW Clocks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 pm

haydn callow wrote:What if tanks could be sourced/delivered for £60 ??
It's a good enough price. If I had capital lying about I guess I might invest in a batch and sell them as and when a request came in. Got to be careful not to scaremonger though I reckon as - in general - how big is the problem (1) now and (2) likely to be in the years ahead? Running an LCA business, you may just get a distorted sense of how widespread the problem is?

But let's face, overall if Bongos are to continue to be as cherished as they are now, owners will be grateful for an affordable source of good quality (another issue!) replacement parts for those failing commonly with age, wear and tear.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu May 19, 2011 3:19 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
haydn callow wrote:What if tanks could be sourced/delivered for £60 ??
It's a good enough price. If I had capital lying about I guess I might invest in a batch and sell them as and when a request came in. Got to be careful not to scaremonger though I reckon as - in general - how big is the problem (1) now and (2) likely to be in the years ahead? Running an LCA business, you may just get a distorted sense of how widespread the problem is?

But let's face, overall if Bongos are to continue to be as cherished as they are now, owners will be grateful for an affordable source of good quality (another issue!) replacement parts for those failing commonly with age, wear and tear.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal at all and my "view" is moderate.......I don't think the "weeping" is a big deal and the tanks is very unlikly to fail "suddenly" so keeping a eye on the level is probably enough to be going on with.......However a nice clean tank...a, looks good...b, you can see the coolant...c, is another preventitive maintainance job.
Also BMW Clocks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 19, 2011 3:34 pm

haydn callow wrote:However a nice clean tank...a, looks good...b, you can see the coolant...c, is another preventitive maintainance job.

True, and at £60 it might be nice to treat yourself I guess 8)
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Thu May 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Well ,I have £60 waiting in my sweaty palm for a new tank
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue May 24, 2011 11:57 am

vanvliet wrote:Well ,I have £60 waiting in my sweaty palm for a new tank
:D Well... There's number one on the list! :D

Just a personal opinion now, i'm not advocating the following should be a definitive guide... Personally, i'm not looking for a new tank at this moment in time... IF (and that's a big IF) New, genuine tanks are made available for around the £60 mark, i may purchase one on the preventative maintanence ethos. It'd be likely stored till the next imminent coolant change though...

Now, a few assumptions... (and you know what "they" say about assumptions) :? IF new genuine equipment tanks can be bought in and sold on for around 60 quid, then are suppliers really sticking a 100%+ mark up on them? :shock:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:56 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:IF new genuine equipment tanks can be bought in and sold on for around 60 quid, then are suppliers really sticking a 100%+ mark up on them? :shock:
I wouldn't be surprised, JAS quoted me £220 delivered for an AFT seal, & they are usually pretty good on price for spares, My local dealers charged me £133.91 & they must have made a few quid on that, so even with delivery factored in, JAS have quite a mark up there.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Tue May 24, 2011 1:00 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
bigdaddycain wrote:IF new genuine equipment tanks can be bought in and sold on for around 60 quid, then are suppliers really sticking a 100%+ mark up on them? :shock:
I wouldn't be surprised, JAS quoted me £220 delivered for an AFT seal, & they are usually pretty good on price for spares, My local dealers charged me £133.91 & they must have made a few quid on that, so even with delivery factored in, JAS have quite a mark up there.
I used to work for a supplier to Car and Vacuum cleaner manufacturers.

Typically, as component that cost £3 say from the manufacturer was about £20 by the time it got to the spares counter.

A friend was beside a guy on a flight who was buying climbing carabiners at 50p from China and selling them for £20........... he had a nosey at his computer screen.
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue May 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Tanks can be sourced for less than £20..... then buy around 50....then you have to get them delivered.....pay import duty and VAT.....then repackage......get back the money you have tied up......etc etc.....soon gets to £100...
Also BMW Clocks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 24, 2011 4:42 pm

haydn callow wrote:Tanks can be sourced for less than £20..... then buy around 50....then you have to get them delivered.....pay import duty and VAT.....then repackage......get back the money you have tied up......etc etc.....soon gets to £100...
:-#.....then there's...... :-#.....marketing.....:-#.....golf club fees.....:-#....drector's bonuses......:-#
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 24, 2011 8:50 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
haydn callow wrote:Tanks can be sourced for less than £20..... then buy around 50....then you have to get them delivered.....pay import duty and VAT.....then repackage......get back the money you have tied up......etc etc.....soon gets to £100...
:-#.....then there's...... :-#.....marketing.....:-#.....golf club fees.....:-#....drector's bonuses......:-#
Oh and just to make it clear, this is a jibe at fatcats, not committed traders providing an honest value for money service like Haydn. 8)
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Tue May 24, 2011 10:17 pm

there is allways more to a markup than meets the eye.

Overheads have to be covered staff, premises, rates, yes marketing, and a profit from the bussiness.
buying direct from the manufacturer will allways be cheapest as every link in the chain has costs to cover and a living to make.

so at each step the seller will make as much profit as they can get away with

Thats the capitalist system

Return to “Group Buys”