Chinese Lanterns Banned at The Bash

This year's event will be scaled down but it gives us a chance to get out!

Moderator: Ian

scanner
Supreme Being

Re: Chinese Lanterns Banned at The Bash

Post by scanner » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:29 pm

This H&S really is getting to be past a joke, I used to love dropping breezeblocks off motorway bridges but they've even put a stop to that now. :wink:

Not allowed to have any fun any more. :roll:
cabte
Supreme Being

Post by cabte » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Most lanterns frames are now made from bamboo so everything will break down.
i would think more fires are started from fireworks the the lanterns.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Anyway, whats to stop a few people wandering along the riverbank & letting a few lanterns go from the park ????
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 pm

mister munkey wrote:Anyway, whats to stop a few people wandering along the riverbank & letting a few lanterns go from the park ????
Hopefully the realisation that sending a wire framed flame up into the air with no means of controlling it is not the best idea. Not only do people get hurt by the hot wax, but buildings have been destroyed by them and cows have died after eating the wire frames and having their stomachs pierced.

Too many people have used H&S for spurious reasons but in this case, I agree.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=0&oq= ... e+lanterns
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 pm

scanner wrote:This H&S really is getting to be past a joke, I used to love dropping breezeblocks off motorway bridges but they've even put a stop to that now. :wink:

Not allowed to have any fun any more. :roll:
Not even funny as I new someone who was killed by such an event [-X [-X [-X
Bongo no more........... ;-(
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Matt&JoyBongling wrote: cows have died after eating the wire frames and having their stomachs pierced.

I'll stand down on this one then as long as any fences in the UK containing fields of cows, restrained by wire - are replaced by a biodegradable material that a four stomach ruminant can digest & receive a nutritional meal from.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:56 pm

mister munkey wrote:
Matt&JoyBongling wrote: cows have died after eating the wire frames and having their stomachs pierced.

I'll stand down on this one then as long as any fences in the UK containing fields of cows, restrained by wire - are replaced by a biodegradable material that a four stomach ruminant can digest & receive a nutritional meal from.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Looking thru google reports, they all seem to be reports of the possible dangers, rather than first hand reports of actual deaths, fires etc.- OK I quickly gave up after the first half dozen reports, but has anybody got a FIRST HAND report rather than third hand reports ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:09 pm

I just think it's typical Britain and let's stop people enjoying themselves, h&s gone mad :!: :!:
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:19 pm

According to the Guardian, German states have now banned the sale of the lanterns following the death of a 10-year-old boy in a house fire caused by a sky lantern in North Rhine-Westphalia.

Lanterns are banned in Australia and a site reporting the death of a cow that ate a lantern: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... s-cow.html

H&S might be a pain in the ar*e when it bans things that you do at your own risk ... but sending a flame off into the air is not just your risk. If you want to chase down a hill to get the rolling cheese and risk breaking your leg, fine. I have no problem if you want to run down the street with a burning oil drum on your back or, the ultimate, if you want to play conkers, play it at your own risk. If you want to doing something that could kill someone miles away, I don't see the fun in that.
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:25 pm

g8dhe wrote:Looking thru google reports, they all seem to be reports of the possible dangers, rather than first hand reports of actual deaths, fires etc.- OK I quickly gave up after the first half dozen reports, but has anybody got a FIRST HAND report rather than third hand reports ?
This happened just down the road from us last year:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... -27622894/

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
cabte
Supreme Being

Post by cabte » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:40 pm

O come on chinese lanterns have been a tradition for 100 of years.
Its only the last couple of years that they have come over to the western side of the world
When something new arrives theres always someone or goverment out to strangle the death out of it.
Talking about a pice of wire ( which most lanterns are now made from bamboo ) Doing harm to cattle.
I used to work a beef farm and belive me theres more cattle killed every year from the joe public dropping litter, plastic chrisp packets and broken glass cans than any thing els.
You wouldnt belive the damage they do to the farmers pocket.
So people blaming lanterns for a few cattle deaths is rediclious.
On the other side regarding fires the amount of lanterns that get set of in a year and the amount of fireworks is just a fraction, fireworks are a explosive device and the damage they can do is far more than a lantern.
But we still set them of every year.
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Most fireworks have a short range and I have only set them off in places where I knew that they could cause minimal damage - in most cases, they have landed in my garden or that of my neighbour.

Doesn't quite compare to setting off a flame that can travel miles.

I am not against having fun ... I just don't think that it is responsible to do set up a chain of events for which you have no control and the consequences can be life threatening.

P.s. Not forgetting that the reason for this post is that the venue has banned Chinese lanterns due to a barn fire nearby caused by a burning lantern ....
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:18 pm

If you take a small brown paper bag, puff it up and set it on the floor and light the two top corners, it will take off when it is nearly burned out. No good at night but relatively safe.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
cabte
Supreme Being

Post by cabte » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Fireworks can travel a long way and you dont have control on where they go or in what direction.

Also how unreliable they can be. How many times have you heard of a firework coming back down an exploding. Or even not getting the chance to go anywhere and exploding.
The problem with a lot of people is they are all happy to use them till something happens just like the link above, i do feel sorry for them that get hurt but 1 small accident and they all jump on the band wagon.

Lark hill is situated in a town they wont stop others from setting them off.

Such a shame last year we set them off as a mark of respect for a bongo member and good friend that sadly passed away. It was a very emotional time for some people.

Return to “Bongo Bash 2011”