Finally dead and got to go.

If you are a private individual and are breaking a Bongo for parts, post brief details here. Once posted, the thread will be locked and all correspondence must be by PM or email. You can request a moderator unlock the thread for you to post an update.

NO TRADE! Trade ads must be placed on the main website 'For Sale' page http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/bongo.htm

Moderator: francophile1947

scanner
Supreme Being

Finally dead and got to go.

Post by scanner » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Bongo has finally fatally failed.

Just too much is needed, head/head gasket gone, climate control has packed up, wheel arches look like lace (as does the underneath) and now the side door won't open.

However it has 16" alloys with goodish winter tyres, newish radiator, an unused set of silicon hoses (bought "just in case" 10 years ago and never fitted) a set of new (again unfitted) wheel arch trims, Waeco Cruise Control, tow bar, Willinton Split Charge Relay Kit (one of the last he made) and much much more.

I spent about £400 getting it through an MOT before the engine went and my wife has now replaced it with an electric car (we don't need the space any more and 3p/mile energy cost is more important) so it has to go.

Enquire by PM please.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Finally dead and got to go.

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:03 pm

scanner wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:48 pm Bongo has finally fatally failed.

Just too much is needed, head/head gasket gone, climate control has packed up, wheel arches look like lace (as does the underneath) and now the side door won't open.

However it has 16" alloys with goodish winter tyres, newish radiator, an unused set of silicon hoses (bought "just in case" 10 years ago and never fitted) a set of new (again unfitted) wheel arch trims, Waeco Cruise Control, tow bar, Willinton Split Charge Relay Kit (one of the last he made) and much much more.

I spent about £400 getting it through an MOT before the engine went and my wife has now replaced it with an electric car (we don't need the space any more and 3p/mile energy cost is more important) so it has to go.

Enquire by PM please.
Great to hear from you Scanner albeit sad circumstances. Lots of great sounding stuff there so hopefully it'll get snapped up. Everybody seems to be over on Facebook these days so if you can bear to do it then worth putting the word out there also.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 pm

It died about a year ago and it's taken until now to decide euthanasia is the only kind ending.

I now have a Transit, a Pick-up and the trailer I brought back from France inside the Bongo for the log and load lugging and the full-size motorhome for the camping, so the Bongo is now "sans raison".
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 pm

scanner wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 pm It died about a year ago and it's taken until now to decide euthanasia is the only kind ending.

I now have a Transit, a Pick-up and the trailer I brought back from France inside the Bongo for the log and load lugging and the full-size motorhome for the camping, so the Bongo is now "sans raison".
Ah the joys of being a roving born again batchelor. I'm typing this from the gliding club in beautiful N Yorks where my everyday car will now be my cosy, comfy and surprisingly complete home for three days. This year, after nearly 13 years owning this same Bongo, I am finally getting to enjoy it to the max just for me. For when I'm with Trish, we have the Eriba Puck. Sell the Transit, sell the motorhome, and get a new Bongo and a Puck. Go on, you know you want to ha ha. 8)
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:48 pm

No chance Jan has got too used to 4.5mpKwh* instead of 30mpg if she was lucky.

Let me know if you ever decide to visit the http://www.nvgc.org.uk/about.html

* Approx 45mpLitre or 205mpg and that's only on the rare occasions we have to pay to charge.
Peterborough has on street and car park charge points with 3 hours charging AND parking for nothing, zilch, zero. nada, sfa.
As parking in the City centre, where the chargers are, can be £1.00/hour they in effect pay me £3.00 to charge my car there.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:05 pm

:D love it, it. It could only that way when it's run by the council.
Fill your boots mate.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 pm

scanner wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:48 pm No chance Jan has got too used to 4.5mpKwh* instead of 30mpg if she was lucky.

* Approx 45mpLitre or 205mpg and that's only on the rare occasions we have to pay to charge.
Peterborough has on street and car park charge points with 3 hours charging AND parking for nothing, zilch, zero. nada, sfa.
As parking in the City centre, where the chargers are, can be £1.00/hour they in effect pay me £3.00 to charge my car there.
How much was the car?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Flanners wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 pm
scanner wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:48 pm No chance Jan has got too used to 4.5mpKwh* instead of 30mpg if she was lucky.

How much was the car?
£12k on a deal through Carwow and it was the dealer in P'boro that offered the best deal so top result all round.

So far almost 6,000 miles charging at home has cost us about £50.
The local Tesco has a free podpoint chargers (when the spaces are hogged by idiot IC engined drivers), Morrisons at St Ives has free charging, Sainsbury's in Ely has free chargers and P'boro offers free charging AND parking for up to 3 hours. If you are in an electric space for more than 3 hours or if you are not plugged in you get a ticket.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:30 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:05 pm :D love it, it. It could only that way when it's run by the council.
Fill your boots mate.
Not really as I said in the other reply 3 local supermarkets offer free charging and Morrisons are supposed to be installing chargers nationwide.
Rushden Lakes shopping centre has 16 chargers and 4 of them are 22kw fast chargers all free on the PodPoint network.

Huntingdonshite Council won't even repair the 4x 3kw (glacially slow) charge points it has in it's car parks because "there is no obligation on the Council to do so".
Well as there is "no obligation on me to shop there" I drive a little further to Peterborough to spend my money.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:39 am

I think my next adventure may be an electric car if i can afford one. I corresponded with Clive Sinclair with some ideas about them both before and after he announced the irrelevant C5 so have watched their progress for many years with interest. But right now, what a Bongo does is something I can really use so the next adventure will have to wait I fear. Enjoy yours though, wot fun. What make/model did you get?
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:00 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:39 am I think my next adventure may be an electric car if i can afford one. I corresponded with Clive Sinclair with some ideas about them both before and after he announced the irrelevant C5 so have watched their progress for many years with interest. But right now, what a Bongo does is something I can really use so the next adventure will have to wait I fear. Enjoy yours though, wot fun. What make/model did you get?
The uprated Zoe that came out last year with a higher capacity battery and more powerful motor.

For the sort of mainly short range motoring Jan does now it is as well suited as the Bongo was totally unsuited.

We have done 3 longish trips to London, Abingdon and South of Northampton without problems, picked up free charges on all of them total cost of the trip to Abingdon and back was a two hour (£2.00) top up when we got home.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:22 am

scanner wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:00 am
mikeonb4c wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:39 am I think my next adventure may be an electric car if i can afford one. I corresponded with Clive Sinclair with some ideas about them both before and after he announced the irrelevant C5 so have watched their progress for many years with interest. But right now, what a Bongo does is something I can really use so the next adventure will have to wait I fear. Enjoy yours though, wot fun. What make/model did you get?
The uprated Zoe that came out last year with a higher capacity battery and more powerful motor.

For the sort of mainly short range motoring Jan does now it is as well suited as the Bongo was totally unsuited.

We have done 3 longish trips to London, Abingdon and South of Northampton without problems, picked up free charges on all of them total cost of the trip to Abingdon and back was a two hour (£2.00) top up when we got home.
Sounds fab Scanner - enjoy, and all best wishes.

Return to “Breaking Bongos”