Final Arrangements

Plan and chat about this joint meeting with the Russian Bongo owners club.

Moderator: helen&tony

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Final Arrangements

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi
Hil and Phil
I'll let Ian know re: the 'phone number, as he is doing the info. packs We already have your number!
I've never had problems with English 'plates before, but they are all a bit tight nowadays...The only 'plates you don't want are Bulgarian :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...it's a guaranteed stop from what I hear...ANYWHERE.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...as they are associated with every criminal activity known to mankind!!!! :wink:
Glad the German trip went well....Funny you say the Bongo caused interest...we had a Bulg stop us in the car park today....interested in the Bongo....specifically as it is 4x4.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jonnybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by jonnybongo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi, we have left it too late to join the convoy but still have fairly definate plans to make it over to Bulgaria in our Bongo this summer. We may use the campsites you have found so thanks for all the work you have done in planning the trip. Also I wondered what was in the information pack and if we could please have a copy for our journey- it would be really helpful I am sure. If we make it over and are there when you are all encamped near VT we will pop over to say hello (our house is in Vishovgrad near Pavlikeni) Have a wonderfull trip- look forward to comparing notes. thanks sara
Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the world together.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi Sara
The Info. pack is mostly relating to the convoy here, so not of much use to you I'm afraid...P.M. me if you want any info . on your area....there are a couple of bongo owners in Vishovgrad...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:29 am

jonnybongo wrote:. Also I wondered what was in the information pack and if we could please have a copy for our journey- it would be really helpful I am sure.
The info packs will be sent out this morning. Sara, I will copy you in.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 am

Hi
Excellent stuff!
Let me know if you want any extra info. You will also need a Vignette (tax disc) for Romania...you purchase these either at the border or a petrol station. You will definitely be nabbed at the border in Bulgaria, and asked to buy a vignette :lol: You ask for the minimum...a month, I believe...don't let them flog you a year :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can meet the convoy if you wish, somewhere between Ruse and V.T., and show you an easier route via a good supermarket...Lidls or Kaufland (I use Kaufland), but they are both the same group, and Kaufland does a nice meat counter, and fresh salads in mayonnaise ...the Snezhanka is VERY nice...then it's only a few miles to the campsite. There is an ATM outside Kaufland, and I can show you the meat to choose!
Anything you want to know, ask away!
Cheers
Helen
CumbriaBongoBulls
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CumbriaBongoBulls » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Helen and Ian,
Thanks Ian, I have received my information pack. My Bongo is booked in for its annual service next week, since we have already done about 4000 miles touring Germany in May.
We are leaving home on 11th July and travelling slowly towards Bulgaria via Dover - Dunkirk, Belgium, Luxembourg (cheap diesel), Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania. We will be spending a few days in Austria to visit a friend, then heading into northern Hungary and northern Romania for a few days in each. We will then head south and hope to catch the Bongo Convoy somewhere between Sibiu and Ruse.
Helen,
It would be great if you could meet us on the way to the campsite, so that we can go to the supermarket and ATM. (I only have about 40 Lev from my last visit to Bulgaria). We splashed out on a SatNav last week and I have already tried it out on a few test routes in Romania and Bulgaria. I will also be map reading, because I love maps. My Bulgarian road map is in cyrilic script so I need to remind myself of the alphabet.
Looking forward to the trip and meeting up with everyone in Bulgaria.
Regards,
Phil and Hil
Life is for Living!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi Phil & Hil
it's all changed recently...even our village has English and Bulgarian signs...mention our village and you get a smirk....it's really in the Boonies!...I'll look at a few rendezvous points on the route to V.T. Radanovo looks good so far...there's a cafe just inside the village, so I'll pop over and have a look...'phone me when you get through Customs...or PM me for an E-mail addy as well, and we'll meet you. It's an easy road from Ruse...60 KPH most of the way, and I'll show you the short cut through Gorna Oryahovitsa...look on the map and it's a stone's throw from the camp, and the supermarkets are in G. Oryahovitsa...Not too sure when the market day is there, I'll ask one of the locals here...his son lives there.
Road maps are the way to go, I don't know which one you have, but they are not very detailed...GPS mapping is a bit thin, but often gets you to most places, but not addresses in some areas...I prefer maps/ compasses .
If there's anywhere you want to see, let me know, and I'll attempt to find out about it.
All the Best
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:52 am

Hi
Just been checking up on some last arrangements, and enquiring about the pool, and , yes, it's going to be ready...they are doing some last-minute plumbing, as there were setbacks with torrential rain a while back. I will 'phone the site a week or thereabouts before you arrive, and they'll sort us a nice slot on the site!
21st July...summer is starting...19 degrees at V.T. recorded at 4.00 A.M. 54% humidity, and the "feels like" temperature is 19...predicted today a nice mild 25 degrees, with temperatures set to rise. Here's hoping for good weather for the meet!
Cheers
Helen
jonnybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by jonnybongo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone had done any calculations to work out just how much this trip will cost in a Bongo. I appreciate fuel varies in price between countries but a ball park figure would be interesting-my estimate is about £1000 but am I being realistic or is our Bongo particularly poor on fuel??
Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the world together.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:18 am

Hi
My calculations, are that it is roughly 3000 miles...how much does a gallon of fuel cost these days?
A fully loaded Bongo does about 20- 25 MPG on a long run, depending on what fully loaded means in each case, as people carry differing amounts. Personally, I can't say how much fuel we used coming here, as we went through France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, and Bulgaria...rather overloaded Bongo, 16 foot (internal) loaded up caravan , and we were averaging 10- 15 MPG, whereas our normal consumption comes out at 29 to 32 MPG...so...it really depends on what you bring.
Food should be easy to buy at each stopover, and one person can be nominated to go out and buy grub at each stopover if you can't buy on site, and I can take you past a supermarket on the way to the campsite here if you want to meet up. Supermarket is only several miles from the campsite, anyway...( I guess about 5)...
Weather here is hot, usually, so not many clothes needed, cooking kit, small gas bottle, and small tent or awning...really not much weight. Campsites on the way all have "facilities," so really not much to bring
I don't believe that the whole trip will cost as much as you think.
Remind me a bit nearer the time, (to account for current fuel costs) and I'll try and work it out for you for each country, including terrain. It certainly shouldn't be as much as you fear! Fuel is much cheaper once you take the ferry across the English Tax Channel!
Cheers
Helen
chrispreece1

Post by chrispreece1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks for the information pack. Am busy making lists now. See you all there! Chris
CumbriaBongoBulls
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CumbriaBongoBulls » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Chris,
re:Fuel Consumption/costs
I toured Germany last month in my Freda and did about 4000 miles. I spent about £700 on diesel fuel. We were loaded up with an awning tent, cooking gear, deck chairs, table and clothes etc. and the two of us. We have the 2.5 diesel 4wd automatic version. On a long run on motorways and A class roads at about 55 to 60 mph we were getting just over 30 mpg. In the mountains for short day trips about 25 mpg.
Fuel is about 10% cheaper in Europe. You pay about 1.36 euros per litre, in Kendal the cheapest I can get is 1.38 pounds for diesel. Fuel prices are supposed to be falling over the next few weeks.
I am told that petrol stations in Romania are few and far between off the main routes. So if you see one fill up. Also try to avoid small village garages as the fuel may be dirty if there is a slow turnover.
I have just put my Freda in for service today, ready for the trip to Bulgaria next month.
Regards,
Phil
Life is for Living!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi
Diesel was 1.20 Euros a litre here a few days back
Strange that off the main road in Romania there aren't many fuel stops, isn't it!!!!!....Romania has oilfields and produces fuel :lol:
Anyway...Bulgaria is the same...mostly main roads for petrol!...Getting nearer, isn't it...they're opening the swimming pool at the Campsite in 3 days!!!
In a couple of weeks, I'll post the details for the cafe where I can meet you!
Cheers
Helen
chrispreece1

Post by chrispreece1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:06 am

Hi, I have emailed the Koln camp 3 times now without reply. Anyone else have this problem?
Chris
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:39 am

Hi Chris
Did you try 'phoning?...he seemed to say that there's no problem about fitting a few in?...Almost undoubtedly someone on the 'phone will speak English
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Bulgaria 2011”