Keeping the kids safe

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

Karros
Apprentice Bongonaut

Keeping the kids safe

Post by Karros » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi All, my OH and I bought a bongo about a fortnight ago, its been an ambition of ours for many months.
We have an ever increasing number of grandchildren and were wondering which seats/fixers are the best to fit?
We currently have a 6 year old, 4 year old 20 month and one on the way and are looking forward to taking them all away in it.
Which seats have you folks found to be the best.
We have a Bongo Friendee Y reg diesel.

Thanks for any hints tips and advice you can give us.
Karen and Ross
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Keeping the kids safe

Post by sotal » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:20 pm

It depends a little on which seats your Bongo has.

If it has the original seats then there are a few that have been reported to fit. (Have a search through the forum)

We have the original seats (part of the reason we choose a mid conversion with original rear bench). Initially our MaxiCosi Tobi which my son used didn't fit perfectly the seat belt receiver was too long. The only way to make it safe was to wrap the short section of belt with the receiver on around the tubular frame below the seat to shorten it but I wasn't overly happy with that. Luckily it wasn't long before he was ready for a high back booster which most fit just fine.

For your 20 month and new baby, you would need a rear facing seat, I can't remember seeing any of these that would fit but you might get lucky - Mothercare test fit them in your vehicle and tell you if they fit properly or not.

If you have a rock 'n' roll style bench seat in the back then I wouldn't even entertain putting a child on them and would be cautious letting adults use them.
Karros
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Karros » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

We have an isofix seat so was wondering whether there is isofix adaptions - will have a hunt this weekend. I think we have different seats as they all lie down - would that be correct?

Will pop to mothercare and see what they say.

Cheers
Karen and Ross
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 pm

All the regular seats fold down flat from the factory (well lumpy flat!)

Proper seats will weigh a lot and are on a sturdy metal frame. Rock and roll beds usually are made from wood sometimes with a metal frame. I would not put a child seat on one of these.

I doubt you'll have much luck with isofix on a bongo

Return to “Bongoing with Children”