Children's Car Seats

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

hoyesy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Children's Car Seats

Post by hoyesy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Just wondering if anyone had any advice or could clarify the car seat issues? I have been thinking of getting a bongo to use as an every day family MPV as well as camper and seems much more exciting than getting a standard MPV! Didn't even think of possible car seat problems until I read a few posts about buckle crunch. We have 3 young children at the moment and they are 4, 2 and 9 months old and also a new baby will be arriving in Jan. We were hoping that we could use the outer seats of the middle and back row. Has anyone found car seats that will work for these ages?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Children's Car Seats

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:21 pm

hoyesy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by hoyesy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks. I did see that one but it's only rear facing. I will need front facing for my older kids. Anyone have any success with that?
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 pm

This is from the Mazda Bongo facebook group::
"...I also have a Graco Milestone which is rear facing until age 4 and forward facing to age 12. I love it. My little boy is 15 months and is happy in it rear facing. Mothercare regularly do a deal on it for £115."

I've not tried it myself. The full discussion is on this link but you have to be a member of the Facebook group to read it. https://m.facebook.com/groups/757171495 ... 4977554957
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
hoyesy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by hoyesy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Thank's for that. I'll Join the facebook group and have a read
Club-Bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Club-Bongo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:21 pm

We gave two Graco Milestone, 1 forward one rear facing both fit spot on
hoyesy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by hoyesy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Perfect! Thanks, it seems like they are the solution!

Now on to finding a Bongo...
Charliebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Charliebongo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:09 am

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and couldn't work out how to start a new message so hope adding to this one is still useful. We purchased our first Bongo in September last year and are loving it! A big thank you to everyone on the forum for all your advice that helped us be brave and take the plunge!

Unfortunately, like many, we too have had child seat fitting issues and buckle crunch caused by the very long seatbelt buckle webbing. We were lucky to have a Brittax Two Way Elite, purchased from the In car safety Centre (ICSC) several years ago, as it can be fitted in various ways with different belt routings. Despite this we'd still had to pass the buckle webbing around the bar under the Bongo seat. After a phone call and several emailed photos of our fitted seat to the wonderful people at the ICSC, we finally got a good fit.

Our son has quickly grown out of this seat and now, ready for a high backed booster, we faced a similar problem again. Mothercare were useless and no seats seemed to fit. After doing some research, asking our dealer and local garages but getting nowhere, I contacted the seatbelt manufacturer Securon to ask about shortening the webbing attached to the buckle. They put me in touch with FDTS who alter seat belts who were very helpful. We're not local to them (Surrey) so we unbolted the buckles from underneath the seats and posted them off to be shortened by half to 12cm. They arrived back with us within the week and shortening two buckles cost just under £25 including postage. The buckles now just poke up above the seat. We drove down to the ICSC today and tried several high back booster seats with no problems. Our son is very happy in his Cybex seat and we are too!
I hope this is helpful to other Bongo owners with kids who are facing this problem.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 am

Useful info, thanks. :D

Welcome to BF, and should you wish to start a new thread any time just open the Index page then open the section you want, say Off Message or Techie, then near the top left click 'New Topic'.

Bingo. 8)

Return to “Bongoing with Children”