2016 Car seat for baby/combined car seats - help needed

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

bingobango83
Apprentice Bongonaut

2016 Car seat for baby/combined car seats - help needed

Post by bingobango83 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Hello there,

We are having a baby in November and are struggling to find a suitable car seat. Ideally we would like to buy a seat that will take the child through to 4 rather than one of the baby only ones.

Our Bongo is 1996, unconverted so we have all 8 seats but no isofix. However, the seat belts are apparently very long which causes a problem with the combined car seats which are secured using the seat belts. Halfords and Toys R Us won't sell us anything as they're not happy with the safety. We have an appointment to go to Mothercare in two weeks to get help there but are worried that again, the people there won't know anything about the Bongo and be put off by it!

We will of course buy a baby only seat if that is the safest option - we have heard that a Maxi Cosi Pebble will fit. Does anyone have this? Does anyone have experience recently of trying to find the right seat? Help gratefully received.

Thank you,
Sarah
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: 2016 Car seat for baby/combined car seats - help needed

Post by Gasy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Someone will be along soon with info to help
I know it's been talked about lots loads struggle
Seem to remember something about as bongo seat belts are so long they have them wrapped around one of the metal bars under the seat so get a better fit
Hi and welcome
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi

We wrapped our belts round the bar under the seat to shorten them and this worked for us, however I think some of the Kiddy Car seats fit. The ones with the big chest/stomach guard bit.

Our two are 7 & 8 now so will soon be out of full seats and onto booster cushions hopefully.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:20 pm

I'm a bit confused about the wrapping belts round thingy.

We use our van with our 2 year old and 4 month old.

2 year old in the back with a forward facing group 1 seat and 4 month old in the front in a rear facing baby one.
Belts all seem ok to me? They have swapped positions and seem ok in that config also.

Our Megane has isofix and it is soooo much easier to put the wee lady in using that. Alas, not in the bongo!

Personally, i would just go with the rear facing for the little ones, they look quite comfortable in there. And you don't need to wake them up when you get out of the car
\:D/

Return to “Bongoing with Children”