Bongo with 5 yr and 2 yr old boys

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo with 5 yr and 2 yr old boys

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:34 pm

You can use a separate cooking stand quite effectively. We only really use the external one when camping.

Something like this with a portable camping stove on top:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDkwMA==/ ... 880000500F

That then fits in the boot or under the seats. Combine it with some kind of awning (drive away, tarp or pull out) and you've always got it covered too.

You can get portable fridges too. The compressor fridges are the best ones but you're looking at about £300+ for a portable compressor fridge.

We looked at a few rear conversions but didn't really like them, Some people have found they suit really well but I didn't like that I couldn't stand inside, whereas with the mid you can stand in front of the kitchen. If you want to stand you have to go out, as we use the drive away awning it would mean walking out, through the awning and all the way round to the back.

Perhaps though, given that we don't use the internal kitchen very often, maybe it would have been fine for occasional use? Although with the mid layout I do like the fact that we have a communal living area inside where three can sit on the bench and one of the rotated passenger seat. It feels spacious like that and I don't think you could get that with a rear conversion.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo with 5 yr and 2 yr old boys

Post by Alison01326 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:24 pm

Space wise, and child wise, it may be worth looking around for a Bongo with split rear seats rather than the rear bench. You have the same number of seats (8 - six of which have proper seat belts, and two have lap belts), but you can remove one seat and replace it with a removable kitchen. So you have a battle bus to fill with your children and their friends, or something a bit more camper-ish. If the seats are folded up to the side, you have extra boot spaces for pushchairs and other child paraphernalia (or fishing gear).

We have that set up (only one child, but he seems to have a lot of friends, and you'll notice that once you get your Bongo there will be small children from everywhere swarming around it if you let them) and we also have a Royal Traveller Annexe awning which comes with a two-man inner tent which is useful extra sleeping space if you need to spread out. Without the inner tent, the awning is plenty big enough for eating and entertaining.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)

Return to “Bongoing with Children”