ISOFIX?

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

ISOFIX?

Post by Dr Fingers » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:45 am

Hi all,

trying to get isofix brackets (for child seat) fitted to one of my split rear seats (95 AFT). Has anyone done this? Can only find a Ford Focus retrofit kit out there, but no idea if that would work.

All advice gratefully received.

Derek
Andyf
Bongonaut

Re: ISOFIX?

Post by Andyf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi

I am a big Isofix fan and actually installed the ford ones you are talking about in my 56 plate Focus a few years back.

I can't see how you would get these to work as they are designed to bolt between the seat base and seat back which is where the body shell meets the seats, the bongo seats sit too high to bolt directly to anything solid enough as far as I can see.

Also as far as I can remember the focus seat back was quite a bit narrower than the bongo ones are so the anchor points may be too far back if you did mange to fit them some how.

Sorry to be a Nay Sayer :(

www.bongodecals.com
Manufacturer of quality replacement decals for Mazda Bongo's and Ford Freda's
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:09 am

Thanks for this, but I kind of thought that would be the case. I was wondering if it would be safe to weld 2 'U' shaped brackets to the actual seat frame? I have the split rear seats. As far as I can see, that's basically what an ISOFIX seat clips on to..

Derek
Andyf
Bongonaut

Post by Andyf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:08 pm

I have had 3 cars with isofix now and in each case the isofix mounting has been bolted to the floor of the vehicle not to any part of the seat and I'm not sure you could make it strong enough.

In a crash the seatbelt in the back of the folding seat bongo's takes the weight of the passenger during a crash, the anchor for the seat is there to stop the seat moving, I wouldn't like to say that the seat anchor would be strong enough to cope with the weight of the vehicle seat and the weight of the child seat and the child. It's all well and good the child seat remaining attached to the vehicle seat, but if the vehicle seat ends up moving forward in a crash that would be a very bad thing.

The other point is, the only sure fire way to find out how it will perform in a crash is to crash it, and I wouldn't want one of my kids being secured with an untested system.
www.bongodecals.com
Manufacturer of quality replacement decals for Mazda Bongo's and Ford Freda's
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:19 am

Perhaps I could fit some sort of removable clamp, bolted through the floor and holding the seat base securely? However, I fully agree that safety is absolutely the priority, and impossible to test fully without writing off the car. :(

Derek

Return to “Bongoing with Children”