I'm at a loss :-(

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

kd63
Apprentice Bongonaut

I'm at a loss :-(

Post by kd63 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 pm

How do you do it? I fully expected buckle crunch, but no one else on here has mentioned how squishy the seats are! I spent an hour and a half at Halfords this evening :-( The Tobi works - just. We couldn't find a high backed booster to fit though :-( The buckle was bent round all the seats. And so now I have a bongo that only my hubby and I can ride in :-( Gutted doesn't even begin to cover it.
Not expecting any magic answers. Just needed to vent :-( Probably going to be the shortest lived bongo owners ever :-(
mantaJim
Bongolier

Re: I'm at a loss :-(

Post by mantaJim » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Would seatbelt extenders help ?

I got this type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Securon-2 ... 3a65785724
V6 Mushroom
kd63
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by kd63 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:07 pm

I don't think so? The first problem is the buckle receivers come up too high out of the seats, that's managed by the Tobi, but the only way to safely fit a high backed booster is to twist or wrap the fabric so the buckle receiver sits flush with the seat fabric, but when you go to plug the buckle in it falls back down and disapears!
The second problem is that there is a LOT of give in the seats so the up to four years old car seats are swinging left to right and to a lesser degree front to back.

What I really need is isofix! But I haven't seen anyone achieve this on a bongo :-( Alternatively a buckle receiver on a stick instead of webbing so it doesn't disapear, but then we're into new belts too I suspect :-(

Thanks for the suggestion though!
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi

We've wrapped our receiver bit of the belt once around the large metal bar below the seat. This stops the buckle crunch. Our two are 6 and 7 (quite small for age) and both use a Britain high back booster.

Iinitially I wasn't happy wrapping the belt but I check regularly for any signs if fraying etc and so far all is fine.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
kd63
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by kd63 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi Sara, we tried that, but the receiver keeps disappearing down when we try to fit buckle into it... Have we missed a trick? K
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi

We just hold onto the receiver with one hand and plug the buckle in with the other.

By the way my post should have read Britax seats not Britain #-o

Good luck

Sara
kd63
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by kd63 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Ah (Lightbulb moment)!! Think my webbing may be a bit short for that!! Can't win can I! Now the shock has worn off I'm feeling a little calmer, but still feel there has to be a better solution :@ Seems bonkers that a family vehicle should be so family unfriendly - in this respect at least! Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:38 pm

You have to remember the age of the Bongo, it was designed before the latest standard fittings, and it was never intended to be sold in the EU.

However, it will be much cheaper and easier to find the answer than sell Bongy and buy something else.

Give it some time and you'll get there. 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:44 pm

As for 'Give in the Seats' easily solved with some 1/2" ply cut to shape and sat on memory foam.
kd63
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by kd63 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:53 pm

I suggested a solution along those lines to the lovely ( but by then sweaty!) halfords fitter after sest three wobbled its way back to the store! The look of horror was pretty spectacular!

I've moved on now - I'm in "this won't beat me" mode! Just a bit disappointed for the kids that they'll have to be patient while the solution is discovered!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Remember the Halfords lad can't sell you a bit of ply and some memory foam.

This will work if you want to stiffen a seat cushion.
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:07 pm

When I looked into this I found a few companies who will replace/shorten the webbing:

http://www.quickfitsbs.com

I think you might also be able to get some sort of metal clip but I don't know how safe they are or if they'll fit a bongo.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/chil ... nissan.htm

Best of luck, I hope you get it sorted.

Sara
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Exactly, Sara.

This is some webbing passed through a slot and stitched, not a Rocket Scientist to be seen. :wink:

Return to “Bongoing with Children”