car seats and rock n roll bed

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

cawide
Apprentice Bongonaut

car seats and rock n roll bed

Post by cawide » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi
I have recently purchased a mazda bongo that has a complete side conversion with a rock n roll bed. The rock n roll bed has 2 seat belts. Can I put a car seat in this? My daughter is 4 and using the last size chair before a booster. Or do I have to put her in the front passenger seat in her car seat?
Caroline
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: car seats and rock n roll bed

Post by winchman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Firstly you need to establish if the bed seat belts are safe.
Many Rock and Roll beds are just knocked up by people at home with no design experience or calculations to ensure the seats safe, sadly some manufacturers are the same.
Once you know the manufacturer then I would ask them.
lindalovelondon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by lindalovelondon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm also trying to get an answer to this. I have a very high quality conversion with a rock and roll bed from Wellhouse Leisure - like this http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/conversions.htm

The rock & roll bed does have a couple of seat belts in it - that are three pointers I think. However it has no ISOFIX fitted in the back seats (as I assume if it did the rock & roll bed would no longer work).

Has anyone managed to get a car seat fitted into seats in a rock and roll bed that means the seats can still be used as a bed? Or is the only option to get ISOFIX fitted to the front passenger seat? I suppose this is possible, though I'll need details of the reach point of the Bongo front air cushion then, as the seat needs to not be in its reach/ car seat needs to be pushed back as far as possible.

Wellhouse can't advise, as they don't fit ISOFIX as standard.
lindalovelondon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by lindalovelondon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Out of interest I have discovered you can apparently get the whole rock & roll bed changed, as they're not crash tested. The new 'RIB" rock and roll beds come with ISOFIX. Wellhouse don't seem to do an upgrade for me, so looks like I'd need to find someone else to do it - in terms of long term safety, it seems something like this would be the best bet... not cheap though.

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/campervan-par ... order.html

Or, use the front passenger seat of course, at no extra cost... and relegate the other half to the seats in the back.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:13 pm

I'd hesitate to use a rock and roll bed to carry passengers (or at least ones that hadn't been crash tested and well installed).
Beyond A to B
Colin H F
Supreme Being

Post by Colin H F » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:18 pm

please feel free to correct me but surely if a R & R bed is fitted with untested seat belts, and they are found to be inadequate ,doesnt this constitute not fit for purpose according to the buying law !!!!!
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:31 pm

My R&R bed utilises the original belts and mounting points. Not perfect but safe.

Return to “Bongoing with Children”