Looking to get a Bongo

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

el-Tim
Apprentice Bongonaut

Looking to get a Bongo

Post by el-Tim » Sat May 31, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi, I'm looking to spend about 8K on a Bongo but as this is my first I need a bit of advice.

I can get the usual petrol vs diesel arguments by trawling the forum but it's proving difficult to understand how the various conversions affect the available seating configurations. Some of the configurations look like the seats are fixed - especially side conversions.

My requirements are:
In camping mode it will need to sleep 4, two adults and two boys 7yr/4yr.
In daytrip mode it needs to seat at least 6 (for including the grandparents /cousins etc) with room for storage (outdoor games, first aid kit etc)
In visit-the-far-flung-extended-family-who-can't-put-us-all-up-and-who-wants-to-stay-in-a-travellodge mode it needs to seat 5, 3 adults/2 children but ideally have that nice centre table so that on long trips we can have a relaxing char break. We can then convert to camping mode on arrival.

So I guess my general question is how flexible can a seating arrangement be with a side conversion?
Can I have a side conversion + 6 (or even more seats) where I can remove seats to fit requirements?

As a rule of thumb it would be good to know what the unconverted/converted 'living area' dimensions of a bongo are.

Thanks for any responses.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Looking to get a Bongo

Post by Bob » Sat May 31, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi el-Tim, and welcome to the Forum.

You need something very specific from your Bongo so I would recommend a visit to Stourport in a couple of weeks and look at what's to be had.

You can call in as a Day Visitor for free or join up and stay on site if you like.

Every possible type of conversion will be there and owners will happily tell you the ups and downs of each one.

Hope that helps. :)
cavey
Bongolier

Post by cavey » Sat May 31, 2014 9:33 pm

Similar-ish requirement list for us when we were looking, and we went with a removable rear kitchen (with sink, hobs and electric coolbox) which replaces one of the fold up seats. This means we can turn it into an 8 seater minibus when necessary, 6 seater with kitchen, or 5 seater with kitchen with more space in the back (remove the other fold up seat). We have a table that fits between the front and middle seats for indoors eating/games, etc. I've also added a small overhead locker for extra storage as the kitchen unit is not the biggest (after the fresh & waste water and gas bottles).

This, I feel is the most versatile layout/option and gives us a bit of everything when we need it.

We usually have it in 5 seater mode with kitchen in and rear seats out. The sleeping gubbins lives in the AFT space so there's enough room for storage of everything else in the back. This includes a Kampa Khazi loo, which I actually find really useful to sit on when getting a brew on or making breaky!

Hope this helps a bit, but there really are a lot of options here, and it's horses for courses!

Cheers, Dave.
onehillside
Junior Bongonaut

Post by onehillside » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:15 pm

we were in a similar position when we bought ours a couple of years ago - have two girls aged (now) 7 and 9. And a dog. Wanted to be able to camp in it as well as use it as a family expedition bus with assorted grandparents etc on occasion.

We quickly discounted conversions - for one they were slightly out of our budget to get a professional install (safe seats etc) or meant that we might have to not get the vehicle we wanted (colour / engine / spec etc) and equally to us, those we saw meant that as a people carrier / 'day-trip' vehicle it was too compromised. If it were just my wife and I we might have decided otherwise.

We went with a 2.5l V6 with pop-top and then had a full hook-up / leisure battery / internal plug sockets etc all professionally installed.

For camping we spent a small percentage of what a conversion would have cost us and bought a decent 4 berth awning. It works fantastically well - with the girls having that more space makes all the difference, as well as making camping that more practical being able to leave the awning + assorted stuff on site if we need to get any shopping etc.

This also means that we can merrily ferry all and sundry around in comfort - the kids especially love long trips as they get loads of leg-room, foot rests, can mess around with their own aircon settings and generally travel in style :)
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:00 pm

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... e&start=15
here a few ideas. :D
when I had our bongo 1st we had on conversion just used it as it was tell we made up our mine want we wanted and ended up with the 6 seated side conversion which worked well for us .
take it easy drive a bongo
Marbleous
Bongonaut

Post by Marbleous » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi

I've got one child. I decided I wanted her to travel in factory fit seats and seat belts. I have bought a second hand clearcut conversion that looks like this

http://clearcutconversions.co.uk/produc ... an-design/

I'm really happy with it. The rear seat can be slid forward right up to the kitchen units so that there is boot space - which in terms of safety should someone rear end us then acts as a crumple zone. I guess you would only be able to do that if child number two travelled in the middle seat - otherwise there would be no leg room.

The rear facing seat also has a safety belt - this is much less satisfactory for a child to travel on though and I would only consider using it for very short journeys or for adults!

The other thing I have thought that on the bench at the rear that seats 3 the child closest to the kitchen would be in danger should the worst happen and their head hit the kitchen unit.

I only have one child so these are not issues for me - but if I did have two (or three) I would be concerned about those issues!

I bought my van as my partner doesn't enjoy camping and I do - it's impossible to put a tent up on your own while watching a small child so that is why I got the van. I put the awning up last weekend and I did all my cooking out in that - but the awning was a BIG hassle for just a weekend so I plan on taking my pop up gazebo next time - which I will be able to do by myself! (I had help putting the awning up the last time).

I live in Cambridge if you wanted to take a look at my layout if you are nearby. Saying that me and my daughter are going to france on Wednesday in it though!

Good luck!

Vicky
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Strange .... the origional poster ... made one long query post ... was only 'active' for four hours ... but was never on for one answer ..!!

Last visited: Sat May 31, 2014 9:06 pm
Total posts: 1
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Maybe they changed their mind and bought a VW :shock:
:D
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Snoozie wrote:Maybe they changed their mind and bought a VW :shock:
:D
Think I might have done with £8K to spend!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Bongoing with Children”