Internal roof board reversal?

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

tcasc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Internal roof board reversal?

Post by tcasc » Mon May 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Hello all,
It seems putting children in the roof for sleeping when they are 4 and 3 is a good idea but not the position of the hatch! I thought of reversing the internal roof board so the hatch was at the other end (and hence above the rock and roll bed so if they fall out it will be on me!). Is it easy to do this and does any one know how! Looks like it should be possible but thought I would ask here first. Just got the bongo, great so far !
Cheers
Tony
cavey
Bongolier

Re: Internal roof board reversal?

Post by cavey » Mon May 26, 2014 10:33 pm

This will be no help, but encouragement to make it safe for the kiddywinks. Our (then) three year old fell out the roof and needed a trip to A&E to glue up a 15mm cut to his head last summer. This was on to the made up bed below using front and middle seats, so must have just been bad luck hitting the console or seatbelt or similar. This kind of spoilt the camping trip a little! Needless to say, Mummy won't let him up there on his own since then.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 26, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Tony, and welcome to the Forum.

Have a search for 'Catflap and Conversion'.

That should help.
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Here's our solution

Works a treat for my two, although my 15 year old has outgrown it and prefers his own tent :D
Bumble
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bumble » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:47 pm

We actually got a new hatch cut above the handbrake console (between the driver and passenger seats)... We had to lose two vents but haven't noticed any real difference from that perspective. The handiest thing here is that our son can easily get in and out by standing on the seats, and it doesn't take up too much space in the sleeping area. If you'd like a picture I'll take one tomorrow (it's dark as I type this).

We're about to get a new Bongo and will probably do this again, as this one will be a rear conversion (we currently have a side conversion), and I far as I can tell the "catflap" is a rear access hatch which would mean climbing out on to the kitchen top ; )

Bumble
tcasc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by tcasc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Bob wrote:Hi Tony, and welcome to the Forum.

Have a search for 'Catflap and Conversion'.

That should help.
Thats great , thanks. Seem to be plenty of good ideas !

Cheers

Tony

Return to “Bongoing with Children”