Baby up top! Is it too cold??

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

amy2745
Junior Bongonaut

Baby up top! Is it too cold??

Post by amy2745 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:20 am

Hi,

We are taking our 6 month old for the first time in the Bongo and have one of the pop up cots that fits in the roof. When we stayed in it a few weeks ago i found it was colder in the roof?? Has anyone had their babies or young children sleeping up there? Do you think it will be too cold? I will obviously pad it out and wrap him up in layers! Thankyou in advance!

x
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Baby up top! Is it too cold??

Post by Driver+Passengers » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:24 am

We had our 6mo up there a month or two ago but the weather was warmer. We've got him above the cab with a single bed rail across the way and the internal roof removed (or just hinged up). We bought one of those cute little Vango babbit sleeping bags (nitestar or something)? If he's up there on his own, just leave the internal roof up and the temperature should equalise a bit through the van.

You can get over tents for the roof as a second outer canvas which should help reduce temperature loss due to wind, etc...

I don't know... if it's cold, do they sleep better?
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:32 am

The suggested baby room temperatures for sleeping are 16-20ºC ( http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x1050952/wh ... babys-room ), the outside temperature in the South for the last month has been between 13-29ºC so I wouldn't have thought much in way of blankets would be needed!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:46 pm

g8dhe wrote:The suggested baby room temperatures for sleeping are 16-20ºC
Ye gods :shock: I don't think many rooms reached that in my youth - certainly not when there was ice on the inside of my bedroom windows :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Tend to agree!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
amauvis
Bongonaut

Post by amauvis » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 pm

The temperature range up there in the AFT is pretty wide. So, it might be too warm at bedtime to dress them warmly for the night, and too cold later not to. Older kids can come out of their sleeping bags earlier on and snuggle in as the night progresses, but babies can't. So, the choice is to boil the kid alive in the evening or have them cold and crying in the small hours. Obviously either scenario is unacceptable, hence the only way to deal with it is either to let junior sleep downstairs, or put them to bed with the appropriate covering at bedtime, and then add a jumper later on. Hopefully they will get back to sleep again after that. That's the danger.This is what we have done with our little ones.

I remember a time last year with our two year old where the temp dropped to 6 overnight. A two year old is too little to operate a sleeping bag properly, and the fear is also they go too deep in and end up asphyxiating themselves. So, only a blanket/covering would do, and later in the night, he had moved away from his covering and was icy and miserable. On those occasions we brought him downstairs. His 6yo sister was able to cope and was snug as a bug in her sleeping bag.

Personally, I wouldn't put a six month old up there unless you could regulate the temperature a bit with some sort of safe heating device.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi
Agree with Francophile....as babbitys we were in cots in mum / dad's room....no heating...when older, maybe a paraffin heater in the hall with the heat going upstairs to the bedrooms then turned off at night....hot water bottles!...late 50s we had central heating.
Anyway...in Sweden, it's normal to put babbitys out to sleep in the pram when it's minus 10 to minus 15...wrapped up warm...
My kids were in cool rooms with the heating turned down
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Bongoing with Children”