Recommending a group 1,2 & 3 car seat, carseat, baby seat, babyseat for bongos

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

DLC

Recommending a group 1,2 & 3 car seat, carseat, baby seat, babyseat for bongos

Post by DLC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Well, actually the seat is for the kids, it would be really hard to get a bongo in a seat :lol:

We went to Paul Stride today as we intended to get a rear facing group 1 baby seat, as the little on has out grown the group 0. Having seen the scarey vids on you tube we wanted to keep her rear facing for as long as possible.

Due to the long buckles on the seatbelt, the manager (who they shop staff got the help us as they'd never heard of a Bongo), was not happy with how it was sitting.
He recommended the Kiddy Comfort carseat one to us as they have been shown to be much safer than the 5 point harness seats in the event of an accident. Plus the design, using the cars seat to hold the little one in, means there is no issue of buckle crunch.
He didn't give us any hard sell at all and this was far from the most expensive seat he could have sold us, and he let us use the shop's internet to look at independent reviews (Which recommended it highly).

The seat is really nice, it fits in really easily and can be taken from car to car in seconds.
It has a recline feature, which we used and the little one fell asleep on the way home (so cute to see her sleepy face in the rear view mirror). It's really good value too as it will fit her till she is big enough not to need a booster at all. We've not had it long but it's German and seems to represent the sterotypical german build quality.

I would take pics with it in the bongo, but I can't find my SD car reader, but it does fit really well and we are all dead chuffed with it.

You may have trouble finding it else where as it's only available as an import (so many good things are :wink: ) But if you are near York I would happily send anyone to the place we went.
Here's the link http://www.paulstride.co.uk/group-1-2-3 ... 25705-.php

Read the reviews and make your own mind up, but as I say we are chuffed and really feel the little one is properly safe.
Last edited by Doone on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TINCA TINCA

Re: Recommending a group 1,2 & 3 car seat for bongos

Post by TINCA TINCA » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:29 am

Looks an excellent seat for a small person who is fidgety :shock: Solid, sturdy, good looking and plenty of RESTRAINING features. Would it take long to get little one out? I know when we strap our grandson in his seat it seems to take forever trying to get him in it for starters (bearing in mind he is a fidgety one :? ) and then manoeuvring him around the great big arms sticking out......more often than not banging his head which obviously makes him more annoyed at being strapped in. This is in a NORMAL car and not the luxury of actually standing in the Bongo and putting him in whilst standing in front of him.

Looks like a pilot's seat when they are flying off in a Tornado. I expect the safety aspect has been tried and tested on Crash Dummies. :shock:
DLC

Post by DLC » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:44 am

The getting in and out is one of the best bits about this seat, you sit them in like any high-backed booster that uses the car's seat belt, then the tummy section slots into place and you put the seat belt through the slots. I find it far less fiddly than a 5 point harness buckle, or the 3 point one in the old rear facing seat. It only takes a few seconds to put in, and only takes seconds to get from car to car.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Good advice.

We went with a Britax First Class +, which can be rear or forward facing and has two buckle route options for forwards facing. One of those options aviods the bucle crunch issue. Rear facing it is a bit of a headache though.
Beyond A to B
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:21 pm

DLC wrote:(so cute to see her sleepy face in the rear view mirror)
Don't forget to keep your eyes on the road, though! That's not what rear view mirrors are for, regardless of how good the seat is (and that one really does look an absolute cracker from a safety point of view).
DLC wrote:(It's really good value too as it will fit her till she is big enough not to need a booster atall
She'll need a booster until she is 135cm (or 12 years old, depending on which comes first!). That little boy in the picture looks as though he's at the upper end of size for the seat, doesn't he? I wouldn't fancy having my arms hugged quite so cosily for a couple of hours at a time.

Looks very good, though.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
MrU
Bongonaut

Post by MrU » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:02 pm

I like the look of that. We've got Maxi Cosi (one priorifix and one prior XP) which we like but they are a pretty standard seat. Cracking idea the way yours is set up. Shame we bought the second seat only a couple of weeks ago to save swapping it between cars as I would have looked at this.
DLC

Post by DLC » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Alison - once they get bigger you stop using the tummy piece and it becomes a normal high backed booster, the back section is extenable to grow with them, and step son who is 8 and 125 cm tall fits in it with plenty of room left.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:37 am

Wow! Now, that is well thought out. Thanks for that.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
casrockbongo

Post by casrockbongo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi all
We also bought the kiddy comfort car seat for our little one. I can highly recommend for the Bongo. If, like us, you are taking the seat in a out of the van alot, for example to make the bed up - then this seat is great as it is so easy to fit and move. Unlike traditional car seats which are fastened into the car and then your child into them, this seat you buckle your child into as you fix it in the car, with your usual seat belt.

As the previous poster says, it is far from the most expensive seat on the market - I think ours was about £135 - and scored top in the 'Which' consumer tests.

One thing I would say is that my son is a lot more comfortable now he is a bit bigger (18 months) - when he was 12 months he looked a bit lost behind the tummy shield. Being held in by the shield is not a problem for him in fact he seems to much prefer this seat to his maxi cosi priori fix which is in my mums car. Also this seat is comfortable when they sleep as they can rest their heads on the shield!

Finally just to say that we have a side conversion bongo and the seat has to go on the drivers side, next to the 'kitchen' as the seat belt from the very back on the van on the passenger side, is too far back to reach round the seat and clip in.

Link here to pic - can't embed it for some reason:http://www.flickr.com/photos/46989643@N06
soundog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by soundog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:06 pm

i will be buying two of these in the next month or so for our twins. the bongos dont have very car seat friendly seatbelts, there was buckle crunch on everything but these seats. they look good as well and seem to be user friendly as well. i'll post a review once i have them and let you lot know how they go
littlewing

Post by littlewing » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi could anyone let me know if they have used the Concord Ultimax in there Bongo? I have a hefty 6 month old who needs to be in a bigger car seat that will rear face until 9 months. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated....Nikki
windybong0

Post by windybong0 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi,

just wanted to echo this thread. I baught a Bongo a fortnight ago and used this forum to find a car seat for my 15 month ond boy. Weopted for the Kiddy Comfort Pro and being in Scotland we went to Jan Stewart and had it professionaly fitted. Brodie wasnt sure at first but after two journeys he loves his new seat. Thanks forum and thanks for the recomendation.

Andy
BongoMTBer

Post by BongoMTBer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Just ordered a Kiddy - GuardianFix Pro, so will feedback with how it all goes.

Would love to be able to reverse the middle seats again as we had the Bongo before kids, but I don't think this seat is deigned to work with just a lapbelt - any experiences?
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:20 am

Plus one for the Kiddy Guardian Pro:
http://www.kiddy.de/en/childrens-car-se ... n-pro.html

We've had ours for a year now, it's superb!

It also gets a mention in the Members Childseat Factsheet:
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... dseats.pdf

Darron
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
corrour
Bongolier

Post by corrour » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:48 am

Just got a Mamas & Papas moto from Argos sale for £39.99
Fits fine on middle seat will report any probs if i get any. :)
I would walk 500 miles.
99 Tinted tintop
Supplied and looked after by Bongospares

Return to “Bongoing with Children”