Homemade bedboards and platform removal

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

chancers

Re: Homemade bedboards and platform removal

Post by chancers » Sat May 09, 2009 10:41 am

just a thought :idea: but could you use one of the rails that you put on a childs bed when they are very small to stop them falling out...a tomy bed rail see Argos cat page 1535 (top corner of page) I sure it could be modified for a kiddy bongo bed rail!!

cheers
:)
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun May 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Sadly Hyervalue is no more (for quite a while now). No a huge loss in my opinion though!
Beyond A to B
northerntaff

Post by northerntaff » Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 pm

dom_e wrote:Sadly Hyervalue is no more (for quite a while now). No a huge loss in my opinion though!
Well if it's not a HyperValue, then there's a hpya value or valuehyper in Cardiff - Opposite Sainsbury's central at the bottom of Newport road...or at least it was still there last thursday !
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Sun May 17, 2009 6:38 am

We had a go a doing boards for our bongo yesterday and wondered how anyone who has done this overcame the problem of the height difference between the cab end (which is slightly raised when removing the original panel) and the side of the roof where the panels rest? Having bought the ply without realising this we added batons to raise it slightly so the panels were all level. We also decided not to cut out bits for the arms at the front in case we forgot to slide the board back before putuing the roof down and damaged the struts :oops: We also added some wooden dowels underneath that fit into the holes already there (where the original front panel fitted) to stop the board moving and also replaced one of the gas strut bolts and cut a notch underneath the board so it sits on the bolt and does not move whilst sleeping on it or when driving (which it hasn't so far). Where you climb into the bed we also added a curve, mostly because it looked good! 8)
Next step staining the wood and making a mattress, bought some nice fleecy fabric to cover it with :D
(I'll also add 'we' included my resourceful Dad in case he reads this!!)
Jolly Rogers

Post by Jolly Rogers » Sun May 17, 2009 8:54 am

idetika wrote:We had a go a doing boards for our bongo yesterday and wondered how anyone who has done this overcame the problem of the height difference between the cab end (which is slightly raised when removing the original panel) and the side of the roof where the panels rest? Having bought the ply without realising this we added batons to raise it slightly so the panels were all level. We also decided not to cut out bits for the arms at the front in case we forgot to slide the board back before putuing the roof down and damaged the struts :oops: We also added some wooden dowels underneath that fit into the holes already there (where the original front panel fitted) to stop the board moving and also replaced one of the gas strut bolts and cut a notch underneath the board so it sits on the bolt and does not move whilst sleeping on it or when driving (which it hasn't so far). Where you climb into the bed we also added a curve, mostly because it looked good! 8)
Next step staining the wood and making a mattress, bought some nice fleecy fabric to cover it with :D
Any chance of some pictures [-o< [-o<
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Sun May 17, 2009 9:37 am

Jolly Rogers wrote:
idetika wrote:We had a go a doing boards for our bongo yesterday and wondered how anyone who has done this overcame the problem of the height difference between the cab end (which is slightly raised when removing the original panel) and the side of the roof where the panels rest? Having bought the ply without realising this we added batons to raise it slightly so the panels were all level. We also decided not to cut out bits for the arms at the front in case we forgot to slide the board back before putuing the roof down and damaged the struts :oops: We also added some wooden dowels underneath that fit into the holes already there (where the original front panel fitted) to stop the board moving and also replaced one of the gas strut bolts and cut a notch underneath the board so it sits on the bolt and does not move whilst sleeping on it or when driving (which it hasn't so far). Where you climb into the bed we also added a curve, mostly because it looked good! 8)
Any chance of some pictures [-o< [-o<
Will do if it ever stops raining!! Am away trying it out next week so will get some piccies then. :D
northerntaff

Post by northerntaff » Sun May 17, 2009 12:34 pm

You're right - the cab is slightly higher than the rest of the area when the original overcab board thingy is removed, but to be honest - 1) - we've mainly done this for the kids so makes little difference weight wise and 2) I could've spent many more hours making this whole set up a better job (as it sounds like you have =D> ) but haven't !!

I know what you mean about cutting the front board out and then fogetting to move it back, but of course when in use that now means you've got a gap of about 5/6 inches?

I'll look forward to your photies...good work =D> =D> =D> :D
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Sun May 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Photos of roof bed (so far)
The whole thing

iew in the roof

The curved bit!

Replaced one bolt

Cut a notch to locate bolt and stop bed moving, also cut another notch further along for 'driving' position.
Baton attached so no height difference between boards.

Wooden peg to fit in whole so board doesen't move

I know we've lost a bit of length but when the kids are up there with pillows at the front it won't matter too much. Now deciding whether to make mattress the same shape as the boards or square at the end!! Mattress will be 2 layers of carpet underlay glued together as OH is a carpet fitter. The last mattress I made for the original roof was underlay, very comfy!! :)
Have also got a stick on rubber strip thing (not the best description I know) to stick on the batons when finished to stop rubbing on paintwork underneath boards, I think the rubber stuff is some form of self adhesive window insulation although I did see some self adhesive felt pads in Morrisons today that would do the trick.

Kate
mrs_muffinhead
Bongonaut

Post by mrs_muffinhead » Mon May 18, 2009 11:46 am

chancers wrote:just a thought :idea: but could you use one of the rails that you put on a childs bed when they are very small to stop them falling out...a tomy bed rail see Argos cat page 1535 (top corner of page) I sure it could be modified for a kiddy bongo bed rail!!

cheers
:)

Chancers - Just wanted to say thank you for a genius idea! I had actually been lying awake at nights trying to plan in my mind something to keep the little one contained in the roof!
After reading your post I dashed out to Argos and purchased a tomy bed rail.

It's the perfect width for the Bongo roof - only problem being that our foam mattress is not thick or heavy enough to hold it down (it relies on the weight of the bed mattress to hold it in place).
A quick trip out to Screwfix easily remedied this.
A 22mm Copper Pipe Clips fit perfectly over the metal poles and I've screwed these down onto the bedboards which keeps the rail firmly in place. You can slide it in and out from under the clips so it can be stored separately.

Haven't tried it for real yet - just in the living room at home - but hopefully going camping on the next sunny weekend so will let you know if it works!

Thanks again - saved me from my sleepless nights!

MMH

Silver 99 New Shape, 2l Petrol Bongo
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Mon May 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Just arrived back from our first overnighter in our new bongo and around 5 minutes after lights out realised that we needed to rethink our 5 and 2 year olds sleeping arrangements - they weren't happy up top, especially when it was dark (different to rehearsals when it was light with the sunroof open - that was great fun!). So bedboards it is then. After spending time thinking, forum searching (thanks guys) and sizing up the job, I've gone with the idea of using 18mm ply, apart from using 8mm to replace the existing board and batons above the cab to compensate for the difference in height. This one will be 58cm long, the next one will be 56cm (in 18mm ply), so that when i store it over the cab and it's flush it wont trap the lowering gas strut (paranoid of breaking them so have allowed 2cm). These 2 boards together are long enough for my 2 kids, with enough room to get up. My 3rd board will be 30cm long which should go pretty much up to the gas strut, which I will be able to put up after the kids have gone asleep to allow for 'movement' in the night! This still leaves enough room for a peep up if need be. Thought about removing the whole platform but my wife likes the idea of retaining a 'car-like' ceiling. I should(!?) be able to store all 3 boards, with memory foam and upholsterery above the cab when travelling.

Any thoughts anyone?

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
northerntaff

Post by northerntaff » Mon May 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi Andrew - Glad the bedboards idea is going to help you. Sounds like you've got the idea down alright so go for it.

Kate has obviously done a more thought out job than I, so tips for me to try out too. Well done Kate and co. =D> =D>

The one thing I've found since putting this post up orginally and using the boards without the platform, is that of bringing the roof down. Although I can leave all the boards in place, hitting the lock/cancel button in the roof is a bit harder! - Should have thought of this in the first place #-o

Anyway - I've a couple of alterations to make - small finger holes in the board to help move em around from beneath and then a storing position which allows better access to said button!...and maybe the dowels as Kate has done!

See how you get on - I'm sure you'll be much happier and so will your small camping guys ! :lol:
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Tue May 26, 2009 8:47 am

The bed was successfully tried and tested at the weekend by my two, it was handy to be able to get up there to make the beds and when my youngest cried we could easily reach him. We stored two boards over the cab and the rear one was moved back slightly and the silver window screens were stored on that. The mattress was stored in the roof when camping but was transported in the boot as the height of the two boards (one with batons) and the mattress combined would possibly have been too high. All in all a success and with the boards slid back it was easy to reach the lock cancel button. :D :D
Kate
mrs_muffinhead
Bongonaut

Post by mrs_muffinhead » Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 am

Hi All,

Just got back from a successful weekends camping trip in the Bongo - the first one with the new bedboards. It all worked really well and the Tomy bedrail stopped the little one hurling himself out (which he did try on a couple of occasions so we know it was up to the job).

The only thing we had to do differently is put some duck tape around the end poles of the bedrail so that it couldn't be slid out from under the pipe clips that were holding it down as we found that little one was able to push it out.

Have found a few things I'd like to do differently so wondering how others overcame the problems...

1) The plyboard is terribly rough and splintery and left little splinters all over the AFT roof...I guess we need to sand it down and wondered if that's what others have done. Looks like a big job to do by hand - electic sander perhaps??

2) After we took the boards out of the AFT (we will not keep them up there, only take them when we camp), we noticed that they had left quite big marks/indentations on the AFT fabric - looks like they were really pressing into the fabric - especially around the top corners. I'm really worried that this will damage the AFT canvas and eventually maybe even rip it. Has anyone else noticed this? Wondering if we need to make the boards slightly narrower and maybe round all the edges and corners??

3) What material have others used for matresses? I know Notherntaff managed to buy some from Lidl but was wondering if anyone else had tried the memory foam. Have had a quote for some 2" memory foam, cut to shape, which was very reasonable but wondering if this is going to be thick enough to be comfy on top of wooden boards?
This weekend we used a couple of foam camping matresses - doubled over. They fitted really well widthwise and were soooo comfy as doubled over it was about 4" thick, but left a gap of about a foot near the top. If not doubled over they would fit (if we cut them down to size), but this didn't feel thick enough to by comfy.
Any suggestions?

MMH

Silver 99 New Shape, 2l Petrol Bongo
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 am

mrs_muffinhead wrote:Hi All,

Just got back from a successful weekends camping trip in the Bongo - the first one with the new bedboards. It all worked really well and the Tomy bedrail stopped the little one hurling himself out (which he did try on a couple of occasions so we know it was up to the job).

The only thing we had to do differently is put some duck tape around the end poles of the bedrail so that it couldn't be slid out from under the pipe clips that were holding it down as we found that little one was able to push it out.

Have found a few things I'd like to do differently so wondering how others overcame the problems...

1) The plyboard is terribly rough and splintery and left little splinters all over the AFT roof...I guess we need to sand it down and wondered if that's what others have done. Looks like a big job to do by hand - electic sander perhaps??

2) After we took the boards out of the AFT (we will not keep them up there, only take them when we camp), we noticed that they had left quite big marks/indentations on the AFT fabric - looks like they were really pressing into the fabric - especially around the top corners. I'm really worried that this will damage the AFT canvas and eventually maybe even rip it. Has anyone else noticed this? Wondering if we need to make the boards slightly narrower and maybe round all the edges and corners??

3) What material have others used for matresses? I know Notherntaff managed to buy some from Lidl but was wondering if anyone else had tried the memory foam. Have had a quote for some 2" memory foam, cut to shape, which was very reasonable but wondering if this is going to be thick enough to be comfy on top of wooden boards?
This weekend we used a couple of foam camping matresses - doubled over. They fitted really well widthwise and were soooo comfy as doubled over it was about 4" thick, but left a gap of about a foot near the top. If not doubled over they would fit (if we cut them down to size), but this didn't feel thick enough to by comfy.
Any suggestions?

MMH
We have sanded (by hand!) and varnished our boards and they are fine, no splinters in sight. We also made our boards slightly narrower so they do not catch on the roof fabric as we intend to leave them up there, and there are no marks on the fabric after having them in for a week or so. I made the mattress out of double thickness foam carpet underlay (OH is a carpet fitter so it comes for free!!) and the kids slept fine on that, I think comfort is less of an issue for the kids as they are lighter plus I made a fleece cover for the mattress and they also had their sleeping bags. They didn't moan anyway :wink:
northerntaff

Post by northerntaff » Tue May 26, 2009 4:50 pm

mrs_muffinhead wrote:Hi All,

Any suggestions?

MMH
Interesting how these keep evolving bit by bit isn't it.

1) - Yeah, you'll have to sand and varnish. I did a good electric sand to get the main roughness off and then two coats of varnish - external. I used external incase they ever get wet, but you'd be fine with internal I'd have thought. Leave them to ventilate a day or two after and they won't smell too bad when in the bongo then.

2) - Another quick job for me is to cut down the width of the boards by about an inch or so. I've got the same problem as you mention with the tent fabric, and in addition it's causing problems with getting the roof down, as if they slightly out of place the roof doesn't want to close.

3) - I think 2" memory foam should be fine.

Return to “Bongoing with Children”