Great campsite in Kent

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Roy748
Bongolier

Great campsite in Kent

Post by Roy748 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello fellow campers
I have been searching on here for recommendations on good campsites in and around Kent, they appear to be very thin on the ground so thought I would share a real gem we have discovered. Still Acres Camping and Caravan park, located in Marden, Kent.
We have been here several times now and have to say it's the best with regards to shower/toilet facilities we have ever found. It's an adult (and dogs) only site with 40 pitches meaning it's never over crowded. No shop is on site so you will need to stock up first and the nearest shop is a drive away, but if you are seeking just some R&R this is a great site. All pitches are large with electric hook ups.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Great campsite in Kent

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Great tip Roy =D> =D> =D>
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:32 pm

I may well check that out. Can't fathom adults only, given the only time I am bothered by noise or anti social behaviour it is always due to adults? :shock:

May use it in the next few weeks with all the gear as a practice for trip we are planning to France.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Hello Flanners
It really is a pleasent campsite, from previous experience the amenities suffer less from graffiti and abuse in adult only sites.
We will be there over the May bank holidays, you are most welcome to say Hi should you be passing.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am

We just tried The Bull's Head at Herstmonceaux E Sussex, grass pitch no lecky £20 all in, two big fields, good flat ground, bbq and fire pits. Two loos and a shower. The pub serves good food (we didn't eat there) and wonderful Harvey's (had a couple of pints) beautiful trad pub and although near a main road we all slept well as camping was far back from road. Good spacious area and 5 other camper's meant we had a peaceful stay and would definitely return. Had a demo run with our new drive-away awning and we are very impressed with it.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Hello Flanners.
Like you we camped the past weekend (at Still Acres) with the intention of trying out the drive away awning. I have the Sunncamp silhouette 225 which is small but met our needs. I do have one complaint mind, the awning fits from 180 - 225cm height vehicles. I attached mine using the figure of 8 beading and whilst it fitted, it did mean we had an excess of tunnel material due to being only 180ish high. Which no doubt on a windy day would flap terribly.
I assume this is a common problem due to the varying heights the awnings are designed to fit.
Did you experience this and if so did you devise a solution.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon May 28, 2018 8:18 am

I have just had a look at the pictures of your awning.

If you mean the connection space between the side of the van and the awning and the flaps at the sides...the Outdoor Revoulution we have has a facility on both sides to pull in the excess material and hold this locked to facilitate adjustability for the height/need of the van it holds the tunnel area 'tighter' at the sides, adding tension; the bottom of this is pegged down near the van. The sides of the awning are designed not to rest along the the whole side of the van and it is tapered away from the van. In the pictures I looked at the Sunncamp appears to follow and fit against the whole drop of the van side and in many pictures seems as you say to have an excess of material in that area. It would seem if using your awning the distance the van is from the awning is critical to allow a decent tensioned set up?

My main bug bear with awnings is that warm Summer nights are not that common in the UK and the inevitable condensation in the morning and having to dry the material out when you get home is necessary but a tad annoying. That said it is relatively easy to put up and pull down and adds a fantastic usable space, 'sun deck' and double bedroom (single if using a camp bed).

Off out overnight to Canterbury today and as there is only two of us we will use the sun awning rather than the faff for one night with the drive-away jobbie.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello Flanners.
Thanks for your post. I think I will need to practice setting up the awning with regards to distancing. Sadly none of the reviews I read before purchasing mentioned this concern/potential problem.
At the moment I am more inclined to continue using our pop up tent as this works great for storage and simplicity when packing away.
Really bought the awning on the "wow that seems a good addition to the Bongo, let's buy one" .. Clearly need to re-avaluate that line of thinking.
I can see it has it merits for cooking etc on a rainy day but the possibility of flapping edges is negating it's value.

We are heading to Canterbury campsite next weekend, (all being well) for the first time. As discovered in the camping and caravan magazine.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu May 31, 2018 8:38 am

Can recommend Sunnyside Farm Camping in Pett Bottom, we like basic/wildcamping style, it's a small mown field with a portaloo and across the small lane in the Farmhouse grounds a bathroom with shower. Duck Inn is 100m down the lane. Idyllic countryside, very peaceful and quiet £17. Trying a place nearer to us on Sunday evening

Return to “Campsites”