Nasty experiance in Walton on Thames.

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Nasty experiance in Walton on Thames.

Post by Bongolia » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Well here is one that I definitely would not recommend.
Caravan and Camping Club Walton on Thames.
Arrived at 12.20 following instruction on CCC mobile app not to arrive until after midday. Spoke to warden and asked to book in, told "at 1 pm you can" and then she walked off!
I have never experienced rudeness of this caliber from a club employee before.
I explained I had just had an horrendous 6 hour drive down from Nottingham and was completely exhausted and showed the warden the CCC app stating midday -to no avail.
Far from empathizing with a club member or exercising some discretion even suggesting I sleep in the pull in until 1 pm, she became antagonistic and her body language became quite threatening full on toe to toe and eyeing me up and down.
Despite feeling embarrassed I insisted on seeing the 1 o`clock rule. Finally I was shown a piece of laminated sheet that was unpinned from the reception wall and then told as I had been so insistent she would not take the booking and asked us to leave!
So one knackered camper back on the road hardly a contribution to road safety!
Total contrast to Horsley where we ended up, although showing full, they squeezed us in.
So one to avoid.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Nasty experiance in Walton on Thames.

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:01 am

Bongolia wrote:Well here is one that I definitely would not recommend.
Caravan and Camping Club Walton on Thames.
Arrived at 12.20 following instruction on CCC mobile app not to arrive until after midday. Spoke to warden and asked to book in, told "at 1 pm you can" and then she walked off!
I have never experienced rudeness of this caliber from a club employee before.
I explained I had just had an horrendous 6 hour drive down from Nottingham and was completely exhausted and showed the warden the CCC app stating midday -to no avail.
Far from empathizing with a club member or exercising some discretion even suggesting I sleep in the pull in until 1 pm, she became antagonistic and her body language became quite threatening full on toe to toe and eyeing me up and down.
Despite feeling embarrassed I insisted on seeing the 1 o`clock rule. Finally I was shown a piece of laminated sheet that was unpinned from the reception wall and then told as I had been so insistent she would not take the booking and asked us to leave!
So one knackered camper back on the road hardly a contribution to road safety!
Total contrast to Horsley where we ended up, although showing full, they squeezed us in.
So one to avoid.
No need to report this to their HQ (and i'm sure you will). It'll be interesting to see what happens - no excuse for treating an ordinary punter like that. [-X
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:23 am

I have contacted customer services twice in the past two days and left my mobile number on both occasions but have had no contact from them.
Cannot find a "contact us" for customer services on their website either.
Anyhow life is to short and there are plenty of other sites. I will try them one last time tomorrow though.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:26 am

Getcarter
Bongolier

Post by Getcarter » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:02 am

Its a shame, we use CaCC sites a lot and always have great customer service. Most are franchised so good customer service is good business. Probably got a seasonal helper on a bad day.

I would leave a post on their twitter page, these things tend to get a response as they are highly visible and they don't want bad PR
V6 Tintop with LPG
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:31 am

This highlights the danger of using terms like 'midday' formally and, indeed, casually.

An unambiguous time would be better.

At this time of year, solar noon is at 1 pm in the UK. That's my midday when I'm sunning myself!

Perhaps keeping it vague helps cover stressed staff from having to open at a precise time?

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:16 am

I wouldnt let it go at that.
Keep trying to report it to HQ,or as stated above,put it on their twitter page,or facebook page.
They need to know that their warden on that site does nothing to put across their image as "the freindly club",and they need a dressing down or sacking
Manners cost nothing
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:40 am

Yeah I know , just got a lot of family stuff on at the moment. That will have to go on my todo list.
I do clear my to do lists tho. :wink:
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Just read this. We stayed there a couple of years ago and absolutely loved the site. We had no problems and I have been recommending it left right and centre. May think twice about doing so now.

Sorry to hear you had such a horrible welcome, and never managed to stay. Did you get any feedback from your complaint?
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:27 am

To be honest I didn't bother to follow it up.
I did make a complaint but heard nothing back other than a standard "no reply" reply.
Life is too short to let things like this get in the way.
Instead I have formulated a "camp in the entrance" tactic should this happen again. :D

Return to “Campsites”