Great Campsite - Keld, Swaledale, Yorkshire Dales

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Tom_B
Bongonaut

Great Campsite - Keld, Swaledale, Yorkshire Dales

Post by Tom_B » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:50 pm

This is one of the best places I have camped ever. Rukin's Campsite in Keld. Its basic - but then isn't that the point of a Bongo? go anywhere and camp anywhere. Two sites - one right next to the swale which is a beautiful river with waterfalls upstream and downstream. You have to walk up the hill a bit for showers and loos. Fires are allowed in fireboxes that are provided. Amazing walks (as long and adventurous as you like) can take you to Muker where the Farmers Arms will feed and water weary walkers either inside the unspoiled village pub or you can sit in the sunshine as we did yesterday.

Cheap to camp at £6.50 per adult - Mrs Rukin also sells milk, wine, beer and other essentials (and even camping gaz).

The top site even has electric hook-ups for £2 extra a night. Keld's Youth Hostel has been turned into a hotel so you can walk up to the village and have a solid meal there if you like and roll back down the hill to the Bongo.

We woke up to snow on Sunday morning with a blue sky and sunshine all day.

https://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites ... park-lodge
1996 AWD 2.5 Oil Burning, Slushbox, Stylish bullbars, AFT White & Silver.Unconverted. Aircon!

Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Re: Great Campsite - Keld, Swaledale, Yorkshire Dales

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Sounds excellent,thanks for the heads up

Brian

Quick edit............. Tom,just looked at the webite,it says no campervans ! (or caravans or groups of adults). Just tents ??????
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:49 pm

The Cool Camping Guide actually says no campervans. Is this just the part by the river.

Watch out for those mossies!

I stayed at a lovely campsite a little further along the road, but still at Keld. It had a barn, yurts, etc, still on the river. Had huge mossie machines (which didn't work entirely) and provided meals hand-delivered to your pitch if you wanted them. Lovely place but I can't remember what it was called. #-o
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:13 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:I stayed at a lovely campsite a little further along the road, but still at Keld. It had a barn, yurts, etc, still on the river. Had huge mossie machines (which didn't work entirely) and provided meals hand-delivered to your pitch if you wanted them. Lovely place but I can't remember what it was called. #-o
http://www.keldbunkbarnandyurts.com/ :wink:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Muzorewa wrote:
Jillygumbo wrote:I stayed at a lovely campsite a little further along the road, but still at Keld. It had a barn, yurts, etc, still on the river. Had huge mossie machines (which didn't work entirely) and provided meals hand-delivered to your pitch if you wanted them. Lovely place but I can't remember what it was called. #-o
http://www.keldbunkbarnandyurts.com/ :wink:
That's the one, but the campsite was Park House Campsite. They only seem to have a website for the yurts and barn now. But it is the same place. Lovely!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Tom_B
Bongonaut

Post by Tom_B » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:23 pm

There was us and a VW campervan. I think Mr and Mrs Rukin are keen to keep the site as a family experience and not have lots of noisy people.

We could park up at the bottom site - the top field was too wet for vehicles. Midgies become a problem as the days get warmer - we would go in the whit holiday week and they were a nuisance for about an hour in the evening.
1996 AWD 2.5 Oil Burning, Slushbox, Stylish bullbars, AFT White & Silver.Unconverted. Aircon!

Return to “Campsites”