Unconverted Bongo

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Scratch
Bongolier

Unconverted Bongo

Post by Scratch » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:48 pm

I seem to remember that unconverted bongos are not allowed at sites run by one of the large camping organisations.
I am right and does this relate to the Caravan Club?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Unconverted Bongo

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:52 pm

I think you'd be ok in a Bongo especially with an AFT, but a rusty Transit without any windows might stand out for the wrong reasons.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:43 pm

No experience myself but there have been reports of some sites being a bit finicky about just what made the vehicle a motor home opposed to a car!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:35 pm

No problems yet with our unconverted AFT and the CCC. I just book in as a campervan.

Derek
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:06 pm

I was in both when i had an unconverted AFT

Caravan and camping club would accept an unconverted Bongo,but the caravan club wouldnt.

Having said that,ive never seen them actually look to check if it confirms to motorhome spec,so just tell em its a campervan

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 pm

Exactly what I've done with both clubs.

Just book as a camper van and confirm it's a camper van when you check in, never been a problem.

Only probs I've heard of is where peeps go prodding at reception and asking dumb questions. :roll:
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks for that. I have a tin top but will book up as a campervan and see how I get on.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Never tried a Caravan Club site but when my tin top was unconverted, I always found being loaded up with camping kit was enough. Its a brave campsite owner who insists everything is unloaded to check out the seating arrangements and to confirm that everything unfolds to form a bed. Also to play hunt the kitchen box with the luggage piled up on top. A Bongo looks like a campervan anyway.

The nearest I got to trouble was after I had a full conversion, at Settthorns part of camping in the forest which has a bring your own loo policy. The warden had just refused entry to the guy in front as he had brought the tent and bikes, with his friend coming latter with the rest of the kit including the loo. He wanted to get the tent up before dark and was refused entry although they were both booked in.

I was next in the queue and dreading to have to unload the lot to find the loo, fitted underneath the bed which had luggage, a quecha tent and a dog sitting on it. The guy just gave the whole lot a look, commented its a Bongo and they always have loos and sent me on to get lost in the site.

So just look like a camper with all the kit obvious. Like someone has already said, turn up in a transit that is a obviously a work van that has had a couple of sleeping bags and a stove shoved in the back then you get trouble. I also know two people who regularly have no trouble with unconverted T4's as they are so often used as campers and have side windows.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Never had any problems....we've never been asked if we have a conversion or not at any campsite and no-one has ever tried to check
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:25 pm

I've got a tintop unconverted and never had a problem with either CCC or CC. Ive used both. I have had a problem with CLs (CC) when I want to put up my quechua. This alone leans me towards CCC but then I get a free night voucher from CC. I wonder why!

I'm touring Norfolk in June and plan to use both club sites. I always say I'm a campervan.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Campsites”