Wasdale

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

philpdr
Tribal Elder

Wasdale

Post by philpdr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Stayed at this place a couple of weeks ago,
http://www.theoldpostofficecampsite.co.uk/
Nice little site and the food at the pub next door was excellent.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Wasdale

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 am

philpdr wrote:Stayed at this place a couple of weeks ago,
http://www.theoldpostofficecampsite.co.uk/
Nice little site and the food at the pub next door was excellent.
Useful tip. Used to stay in Wasdale and walk those fells when I was young. Good to know there's a good site for if/when I can get back there :-)
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 pm

It's my favourite area,never seems to get too crowded.Well worth the extra driving time.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:09 pm

Used to camp at Wasdale Head every New Year with mountaineering club. Beautiful area.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:49 pm

philpdr wrote:It's my favourite area,never seems to get too crowded.Well worth the extra driving time.
That's why we went there in the 1960s - no-one bothered to drive the extra miles so it was completely unspoiled. I remember two old ladies ran the pub in Wasdale - it was just a stable door from which they served you a beer outside (dim memory but it was something like that) :lol:
Howie1501
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Howie1501 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:28 pm

I stayed here last weekend and walked Scafell pike. The National Trust camp site is the best I've stayed at. Cost £10.50 a night with power and the toilet block was fantastic and there was always hot water. The pub is a short walk away and the food is great.
Duct tape is like the FORCE, it has a dark side and it holds the universe together.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Howie1501 wrote:I stayed here last weekend and walked Scafell pike. The National Trust camp site is the best I've stayed at. Cost £10.50 a night with power and the toilet block was fantastic and there was always hot water. The pub is a short walk away and the food is great.
Presume you need to be an NT member?
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:33 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Howie1501 wrote:I stayed here last weekend and walked Scafell pike. The National Trust camp site is the best I've stayed at. Cost £10.50 a night with power and the toilet block was fantastic and there was always hot water. The pub is a short walk away and the food is great.
Presume you need to be an NT member?
Not at most although they're usually cheaper for members,some aren't actually operated by the NT.Always best to check their website as booking can be essential.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:33 pm

In 1972 I stayed in the bunkhouse at the Wastwater Head Hotel it was about 5p for the night! Walked there from the Youth Hostel at the other end of the lake where my GF was staying with her mates. Never known darkness like it, just glow worms everywhere. Meanwhile my motorbike was broken down in Kendal. Happy days.

A few years later we camped at that National Trust Site, I can't remember anything about the facilities back then but there must have been some. Fabulous part of the Lakes.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:36 pm

Velocette wrote:In 1972 I stayed in the bunkhouse at the Wastwater Head Hotel it was about 5p for the night! Walked there from the Youth Hostel at the other end of the lake where my GF was staying with her mates. Never known darkness like it, just glow worms everywhere. Meanwhile my motorbike was broken down in Kendal. Happy days.

A few years later we camped at that National Trust Site, I can't remember anything about the facilities back then but there must have been some. Fabulous part of the Lakes.
Facilities I recall from 70s of W Head Hotel was an outside tap and toilet (virtually outside). Of course the taps inside served good tasting alcohol blankets against the cold. Happy days. Vango tent. Dried milk.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Their Mountain rescue team are good at finding lost dogs too

http://www.itv.com/news/border/story/20 ... oes-viral/
all the same but different

Return to “Campsites”