Lake district

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Lake district

Post by kingbillybongo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Daft I know ,but I have the diamond jubilee week off.would like to go to the lake district?any recomendations as I have never been before.looking to stay 7 nights hopfuly.somewhere we can walk to have a beer or to would be nice too.
:D
[color=#0000BF]billybongofreedom[/color]
RachelTaylor

Re: Lake district

Post by RachelTaylor » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Are you a C&CC member?
If so, the club site in Keswick is nice - a bit of a caravan haven, but right on the egde of Derwent Water, so lovely views, and walkable into the centre of Keswick plus supermarket, so very handy.

Also, the club site at Eskdale in Boot is nice, great facilities and 3 pubs within walking distance, 2 within a few hundred yards. Plenty to do if you like the outdoors - walking galore, and also a light railway that goes to Ravenglass on the coast.

I've heard good reports about The Quiet Site, (not C&CC), with a pub on site, although I've not been there myself.

There's also a reasonable site in Hawkshead, walkable into the centre of the village with about 5 pubs.

hope you manage to find somewhere - you probably need to get booked up now, as the lakes get very busy at the best of times...

Rachel
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Yup can recommend the Keswick site, but I reckon you need to check availability as everyone else will be off as well!
Last time we stayed there we got what they locally called Millionaires row;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Quiet Site is ok. See this thread for some other ideas....

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 1&p=542131
kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Post by kingbillybongo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks to all for your response ,as usual,spot on.tried to book on line for Keswick site but they seem to be having some problems at the moment.will have to ring on Monday.will let you know how I get on.thanks again.what a great community we have. =D> =D> :D
diamond
Tribal Elder

Post by diamond » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:40 am

:!: :wink: Can't believe that no one has said Gibraltar farm at Silverdale. It's a bongos home from home, we have a meet there every year =D> =D> =D>
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:11 pm

diamond wrote::!: :wink: Can't believe that no one has said Gibraltar farm at Silverdale. It's a bongos home from home, we have a meet there every year =D> =D> =D>
But it's in Lancashire :wink:
diamond
Tribal Elder

Post by diamond » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Yer but only at high tide :lol: its on the nt map as the south lakes #-o ttfn neil
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Just got back from a week in the lakes,you could try the NT site opposite The Old Dungeon Ghyll pub in Langdale.Two other pubs within walking distance too.There's also an NT site in Wasdale near the Wasdale Head Inn.
levon
Bongonaut

Post by levon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi, if you've never been to the lakes before I'd definitely try Keswick first as there is so much to do there without even moving the Bongo. If the C&CC site is full then "Castlerigg Hall" campsite is also great with fantastic views and still walkable into Keswick.

Another one to add to the mix is Sykeside, nr Brotherswater, not been for a couple of years but used to use it a lot, has pub on site.

Langdale doesn't have the facility to have an awning or tent next to Bongo, and it will be packed and a free for all during bank holiday. But the pubs there are great.

Have a great time, the Lakes are Brill.
kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Post by kingbillybongo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Thank you all very much,still trying to get in to Keswick c&cc but castle rigg have a spot.only problem is that it backs on to the play area.don't know how noisy it may get?will let you know how we get on.thanks again. =D> =D> :D
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 pm

I never noticed noise after a few wines sleeping in our Bongo and we have a few times been parked up next to marquee at Silvergale lol

We spent Christmas at Wasdale Head was eerie and magically misty. The pub is a good 30 minute walk from the NT site a nice walk and you get to chat to Herdwicks, intelligent sheep I kid you not <g>

Jo
kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Post by kingbillybongo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Well gang,we have booked castle rigg hall site.just hope it lives up to the pics on the web site?very much looking forward to it.any one know much about the site?any tips about the area would be great.many thanks for your help so far,we r off to Woodbridge for Easter so if any one is about we r at run cottage.carry on bongoing. =D> =D> :lol: :lol:

Return to “Campsites”