Campsite charges

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Flanners
Bongolier

Campsite charges

Post by Flanners » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:54 am

I know this is rip off Britain, but having looked and booked several sites in SE England I am at a loss as to how owner's of a 'field' are charging £20+ pn for camping, whilst providing the bare minimum/nothing? Some families are paying circa £40-50 to pitch in a field!

I like back to basics style camping but the price should match this. I have just seen a tent only campsite on a vineyard for £84 for two nighs in West Sussex....no showers, no toilets no nothing, sure a beautiful spot but £84. :evil: Hey just stick 'Eco' in your campsite name of promotional website/literature, you can then provide nothing at all and as it is so PC and fashionable you can charge a fortune too, perhaps mowing the field once in a while but obviously don't use a collector box as this would a) take more time b) not be 'eco' c) provide a 'service' for the fee you charge. Given you have cunningly used the 'Eco' tag there is no need to provide a bin for your customer's rubbish and you can get them to do the work for you and take it with them.

So you pay £20-£30 to stay in a field with at best a portaloo (maybe a hole in the ground, sorry I mean a bio facility, no shower, one tap, no bin and then the charges state £5 extra for an 'awning' on a pitch you have already paid for, extra for guests, cars etc.

Then you can charge £5-£10 for a firepit 'hire' which may or may not have logs and then £7 for a fire lighting pack oh and by the way how about some over priced meat and eggs (apparently from our farm/one next door) for your BBQ?

Visitors? Only during the day please and that will be another £4 per head. I am half expecting a corkage fee soon on some of these sites for the beer/wine consumed on the premises.

I know one has choice but for most fashionable 'back to basics' 'Eco' facilities the majority of owner's are simply just fleecing their customers. a licence to print money and quite simply their greed, more wild camping is my response to this and head over the Channel for the Summer.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Campsite charges

Post by sotal » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Sounds like you have done all your research. Now you just need to buy the field :lol:
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:32 pm

That made me laugh :D
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Well said. Head away from SE England / North and hopefully things will improve.....at least until the disease of greed spreads :roll:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:06 pm

I attend numerous music festivals for 3 nights for less than £84.00 Vote with your feet/van.

Return to “Campsites”