Help with wing mirror?

It's at Stourport on Severn 18 to 23 June. Arrange to meet up, ask questions, post photos.......

Moderator: Ian

idetika
Bongolier

Help with wing mirror?

Post by idetika » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Is there anyone going to the bash who could have a look at my dodgy wing mirror motor which seems to be jammed?
There will be a drink (or several) in it for you :wink:
roosteruk

Re: Help with wing mirror?

Post by roosteruk » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:20 pm

idetika wrote:Is there anyone going to the bash who could have a look at my dodgy wing mirror motor which seems to be jammed?
You never know your luck, in between other things, I may be able to have a gander.
I cannot promise anything though, have a few alarms to fit, some lights to look at, etc.
Hopefully someone else will have removed an electric mirror and may know a bit more?

Karl
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Any help will be greatly received, I'll look out for you (make sure you get chance to have fun between fitting all those alarms!)
:D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:32 pm

I've done mine before now so can advise on stripping (mirrors). Have to warn you thought that my attempts to get the folding mechanism to work again met with only temporary success although others fared better. Strange as I reckon I did a good solid repair. But Waycar 8 kindly sold me the working ones off his wrecked Bongo so I have yet to re-examine my old ones. I'll try and remember to bring them down with me so we can play with them. Look me up on site. I'm expecting to arrive either Friday evening or Saturday morning (but will need to set up before getting distracted). 8)

PS - in the meantime here's a thread I did at the time, with a link to some piccies:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ing+mirror
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks Mike, I had read that thread which prompted me to ask for help! It looks very fiddly so I know I'm asking a lot. I will however look you up to say hello (when you've got settled!) :D
WISHIHADABONGO

Post by WISHIHADABONGO » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:13 am

idetika wrote:Is there anyone going to the bash who could have a look at my dodgy wing mirror motor which seems to be jammed?

I have done mine, but you will nedd to have some tools to fix it as I wont be able to bring mine...Iam happy to have a look for you...
roosteruk

Post by roosteruk » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:36 am

WISHIHADABONGO wrote:

I have done mine, but you will nedd to have some tools to fix it as I wont be able to bring mine...Iam happy to have a look for you...
What toold are required?
I am taking a small selection.

Karl
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:59 am

WISHIHADABONGO wrote:

Thanks....I live literally 5 minutes from Stourport so I can pop home for anything required (we're not camping but hoping to pop along over the weekend).
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:05 am

roosteruk wrote:
WISHIHADABONGO wrote:

What toold are required?
I am taking a small selection.

Karl
I found it a fiddly job I would only want to tackle 'on the bench' (age and eyesight!. The main problem I found was the plastic gear train is packed with special grease (a bit aged and dried out too!) and as I didn't have anything suitable to replace it with I had to keep it by 'shoving it all to one side' and degrease as best I could anything that needed gluing (cotton bud sticks and meths). I had to sleeve the broken plastic lug hole with a piece of model aeroplane sized brass tubing, split using a hacksaw to make a 'spring on' sleeve. The broken lug was replaced with a steel rod hacksawed out of a suitable nail. I felt I'd made a strong repair (though if we take one apart it will be interesting to see why it failed again).

One of the mirrors failed almost immediately after repair when it burned out a small electrical component (resistor?) inside the internal switch. It appeared to be working fine but then just died. I think I've kept the burned out component and I'll try and bring it. Here's pics I took of the swtich unit before and after desoldering and removing it).

8)
WISHIHADABONGO

Post by WISHIHADABONGO » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:11 pm

I re glued mine, then drilled a small pilot hole from beneath and screwed a small self tapper into the small plastic post....

I then re packed it with grease put it back together and whey hey job done...

Si

Return to “Bongo Bash 2008”